What is the rarest healer class/spec?

100 Blood Elf Priest
I wonder what the data would look like in the theoretical scenario where Disc was "balanced" so that Holy felt like a genuine playstyle choice to the playbase rather than a no-brainer (perceived or otherwise).

For a glimpse into that, you can look back to a brief period when Holy was balanced with the other specs but Disc was slightly weaker and had limited absorbs:

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/10N/all/14/1000/samples/#0000000000000000000000000000111111

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/10H/all/14/1000/samples/#0000000000000000000000000000111111

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/25N/all/14/1000/samples/#0000000000000000000000000000111111

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/25H/all/14/1000/samples/#0000000000000000000000000000111111

Check out the beginning of that graph, up to about patch 4.2.

You can also look at the Dragon Soul (4.3) period in 25s, where the two specs were legitimately balanced.

Unfortunately, neither of those includes monks. There's a very brief period in 5.0.5 where Holy outstrips Disc again, but since Holy still wasn't balanced with the other specs and since the hotfix for Disc came out pretty quickly (and everyone knew it had to be coming), you don't see as large an effect as you do in 4.0.6-4.1 and in 4.3.
Reply Quote
Yay, I'm a rare! :D
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
11/29/2013 12:27 PMPosted by Kaels
I wonder what the data would look like in the theoretical scenario where Disc was "balanced" so that Holy felt like a genuine playstyle choice to the playbase rather than a no-brainer (perceived or otherwise).

For a glimpse into that, you can look back to a brief period when Holy was balanced with the other specs but Disc was slightly weaker and had limited absorbs:

I like this, and to a limited extent remember it. So it seems like Disc would still be more popular but the divide would be much closer between the two than now. If that situation occurs again Monk might be in the running for rarest instead of second place. Whether that is a good thing or not I can't say lol.

Who knows though, changes don't happen in a vacuum. Maybe when/if absorbs are up to bat something will happen to the MW spec to get them popular for Mythic stuff. There's the "free 90" thing too but I don't see that affecting MW more than any other class.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
I feel so unloved. At least I'm the token teal bar in our raid team.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Holy priest don't count, any disc can play holy if they want.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I'm pretty sure the monk underrepresentation is 100% due to it being a new class this expansion. They're also the least-common tanks and the least-common DPS spec that doesn't belong to a class with another more common DPS spec.

Leveling a monk at launch was a big gamble - you didn't know how long it was going to take to balance it, and you didn't even know if you were going to like the end result - the playstyle changed dramatically throughout beta and it was a fair bet that it was going to change dramatically again on live (as it did).

After you'd leveled another class, though, switching mains to a monk was an even bigger investment because you had to play catch-up on the legendary cloak.

I'm willing to bet that MW representation will be much closer to even with the other specs in WoD.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Priest
I'm a rare species?

Do I drop good loot? =O

I have been a Holy Priest since the start of WotLK.

I remember the OP days of Circle of Healing without a cooldown in Early Naxx.

Also, the new changes to Prayer of Healing where I was doing 7k hps in 25 Ulduar.

Good times. =)

Ah, the glory days of CoH. That sweet period where it was an instant AoE smart heal with no cooldown. Back when Malygos was pretty much impossible to heal unless you had Resto Druids spamming Wild Growth and Holy Priests spamming Circle of Healing. Good times.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
http://twistedmindwow.wordpress.com/2013/09/10/how-much-fun-were-the-classes-in-5-2/

For healing, lowest represented spec is mistweaver monk (barely beating holy priest). Highest represented spec is resto druid, but disc priest and resto shaman aren't far behind.
resto druid>disc priest>resto shaman>holy paladin>holy priest>mistweaver monk

Lowest represented healer class is monk. Highest played healer class is priest.

Most popular overall classes, regardless of healer role, are hunter>paladin>druid. Classes that need some help in the representation department in general are monks.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Twisted - I mentioned in another thread, but I'll mention again: the problem with your analysis is that World of Wargraphs just crawls the Armory, which unfortunately limits its ability to assess which specs are actually being used in raids. The spec someone's logged out in may not be the one they're playing - and even if it does get some play, it may only be used for a minority of bosses, or for LFR/LFD where they can play the spec of their choice.

Even worse, you can't even filter by content completion - you get "6+ heroic" or "all", where "all" includes people who only leveled a priest so they could prance around the Shrine looking pretty with their Chakra animation.

I think Raidbots does a much better job of indicating how much each spec is actually being used to kill bosses. It is of course limited by the data set (groups who upload public logs), but a restricted data set is generally better than one which includes large amounts of misleading data unless you can demonstrate that the restricted set is heavily skewed.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Monk
I don't know if I've ever been grouped with another mistweaver monk.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk

This. This never happens.
Reply Quote
92 Human Priest
Hmm...kind of true...I can't think of many Holy Priests I know...many switch out to disc eventually.
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warlock

It's literally impossible to ever balance Disc. It's not even worth considering such a scenario.

Having Disc be balanced would probably be worse than the current situation.

Especially given a uniformed raid size going into next expansion, here are your basic options:

1) Disc and Holy Paladin mastery exists. It must be accounted for in Raid Design (and the raids are actually tuned to be difficult). Disc, and to a lesser extent HPally, are now 2 of your 4 healers REQUIRED (or just 2 disc). Content is literally not doable at or around progression ilvl without these classes.

2) Content is tuned so that it is doable at the progression item level without absorbs. In this scenario, content is faceroll and having absorb healers would make it completely laughable.

3) The absorb healers are tuned to have SIGNIFICANTLY LESS total throughput than actual throughput healers. This has never really happened and the only time there was even a whiff of it happening the Priest whine was so strong the Sun almost imploded. God buffs were soon handed out.

Even in this scenario the effective health and buffering of absorbs (and the god spell, PW:B... just imagine if this showed up on the meters... LOLOLOLOLOL - don't forget Pain Suppresssion either!) would STILL make at least 1 disc priest MANDATORY even if they only did half the healing of everyone else. Oh, and the fact they can do non-trivial dps (though this matters less the larger the raid size, who knows for 20 man).

And, as always, as soon as the boss is on farm the only healers that get to actually do anything are the absorb healers while the lessers try to blow all their mana with perfect timing to even get anything through.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

I was just a part of a guild merger of multiple 10-mans to form a 25-man and prepare for mythics next xpac..........and now I'm healing with another MW. It's really weird and I still don't know what to make of it haha.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
I was just a part of a guild merger of multiple 10-mans to form a 25-man and prepare for mythics next xpac..........and now I'm healing with another MW. It's really weird and I still don't know what to make of it haha.

Awkwarrrddddd!!!!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
there are 3 MW monks in my guild brb rerolling holy

Can I borrow one? I don't think my guild has ever had a MW, at least not as a regular attendee. However, our 25m has lately been one or two druids and three or four shaman, with one holy priest.

Last night we had a paladin who usually goes ret do some healing. Hadn't had a holy pally since early ToT.
Reply Quote
51 Blood Elf Hunter
pve- i'd say rarest that i have seen are

1. MW monk
2. Disc priest

i see a LOT of holy priest idk what people are talking about. maybe just me but i see quite a few on them vs disc priests in lfr's and flex raids. in normal raids eh idk i don't raid current content atm so i don't know only don;t lfr's and raids for current content.

but it is very rare that i see a MW monk. Shamans, druids typical healers. also Holy paladins are somewhat rare at least good ones. i typically see at least 1 but usually they are not that great. it really depends on your server and who you raid with. rarity varies by a lot of factors.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
o_O Every Priest I know, pretty much, is Disc. What planet are you from?
Reply Quote
66 Human Death Knight
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a lot of resto shamans. I do agree mistweavers are rare, but I see a lot of holy priests just standing around town. But then again maybe they dual spec, and use holy exclusively for standing around town with their chakras.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]