Ghostcrawler's Crab Cakes (Healer OT)

90 Goblin Shaman
zZq
1) Be excellent to each other. No one likes a jerk. Don't be a jerk in this thread. No fighting, no put downs, no name calling - or else Reta will beat you with a stick. >:(

2a) The title of the next thread is to be decided by general acceptance before this one caps; try not to overlap with previous ones. Whomever caps the thread should make the new one.

2b) Keep the ToS in mind when deciding on a thread title. This will make it far less likely to be deleted. Also, the title of the thread should always involve food! This is the healer forum and we're weird.

3) Copy and paste these rules and the below list into the first post of the new thread. Add the title of the new thread to the bottom of the list.

Previous Thread: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10717151869
Archive of previous OT threads: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10161146805

BE NICE. THIS IS OUR HOME.

IRC info: http://outofmana.me/healchatirc
Edited by Drownedelf on 12/1/2013 1:37 PM PST
90 Goblin Shaman
zZq
Needing a title.
90 Worgen Priest
I drink soda only occasionally - maybe once every few months, if it happens to be in the house and it's a type I really like. Otherwise, I leave it alone and just drink water all the time.

Also, I am considering getting the logitech g600, looks fairly nice... I rather like my current keybind setup (using a regular mouse) but I wouldn't mind all those extra buttons at easy access.
90 Draenei Shaman
Well, I managed to cut down my soda consumption over the last few months, but I still eat far too much junk food. I think I like food too much to be healthy D:
90 Goblin Shaman
zZq
Just work on switching to healthier alternatives. Whether it's baking something similar to cut down on the processed garbage, or moving to things like carrots or celery. It's not going to be enjoyable at first, but something as simple as replacing one junk food item a day with a fruit or veggie will help.
90 Blood Elf Priest
I thought we agreed to ghostcrawlers crab cakes.
90 Night Elf Priest

That was the plan!

For me and food, its mostly money. My favorite foods are fresh veggies, fruits and nuts. I also cook for a picky steak and potatoes kinda guy. He won't eat certain things.

If I had it my way I'd eat fresh fruit and nuts all day, a salad at lunch with tons of different veggies and dinner would be fish and rice.
Edited by Naérwen on 12/1/2013 1:36 PM PST
90 Worgen Priest

Should go with this :D
90 Draenei Shaman
Well it's not just chips and candy. I love eating burgers, pizza and teriyaki chicken too much, and I don't trust the appliances in this apartment even slightly, particularly the oven. IIRC it took far too long to heat up to a reasonable temperature and then set off the smoke alarm because why the !@#$ not.

So, because my mom and I can't really bake anything, we eat far too much processed junk and fast food :(
90 Draenei Priest
Well it's not just chips and candy. I love eating burgers, pizza and teriyaki chicken too much, and I don't trust the appliances in this apartment even slightly, particularly the oven. IIRC it took far too long to heat up to a reasonable temperature and then set off the smoke alarm because why the !@#$ not.

So, because my mom and I can't really bake anything, we eat far too much processed junk and fast food :(
\

If you don't ever use the oven/stove, sometimes it will burn junk that gets on the burners (dirt, ect). Use it more, and this won't happen :P
90 Night Elf Priest
You can cook rice and beans and veggies and meat easy enough.

I don't often use my oven. Aside from when I bake bread or sweets.

Sounds like its a problem that runs in the family. My mother cooked a lot (MAYBE one of her redeemingqualities) and was a big fan of the connection we have to our culture from our food . We're Italian so she tried her best to teach.

I learned quite a bit of English "cooking" as well. Not much of it is tasty to me
Edited by Naérwen on 12/1/2013 1:41 PM PST
90 Human Priest

Also, one thing those of us who spend a lot of time playing WoW can do is take a few minutes while we wait on queues, or while we wait for the raid to return/re-organize after a wipe, or wait for a guildie to finish what they're doing so we can do whatever together that was planned, or just take 5 freakin' min before continuing farming/AH'ing/whatever...

grab a a pair of free weights (dumbbells? idk what the proper word is, and I don't care, I geuss) and do some bicep curls/triceps work/whatever.

Or drop on the floor and do a set or two of pushups/curls/whatever.

Or my computer is in the basement rec room, at the bottom of the stairs to the kitchen. I'll jump up out of my chair and run up & down the stairs 10 times, lol (tho I admit, I won't do this if anyone else is in the house... feels strange).

... No, none of this is going to be the answer to ALL THE WEIGHT many of us would like to lose, but it's a start. AND it helps with the incredible inactivity gamers put themselves through, and helps us not feel like we're incapable of doing exercise at other times/incapable of exerting ourselves at other times.

Doing something is much better than doing nothing. I definitely see an increase in my ability to run those stairs now, and I *definitely* see a difference in my ability to do simple every-day tasks involving arm strength.
90 Goblin Shaman
zZq
For me and food, its mostly money. My favorite foods are fresh veggies, fruits and nuts. I also cook for a picky steak and potatoes kinda guy. He won't eat certain things.

That's me. I could probably live off of 4 things and be content. I have gotten better about having fruits and veggies though. I do love things like almonds, cashews, and pistachios. It's usually easier for me to be healthy when I have someone else in the picture helping to offset my bad eating habits. :D
90 Night Elf Priest
Yeah the bf had a few major mouth surgeries as well. Not a fan of many small veggies but rice is his bane. Finds it more annoying than delicious.

I still sneak it into meals. I try to make Onigiri once a week. He likes that because I sendnthem with him for a snack and his coworkers think I'm some sort of magic food genie.

I also put meat in the middle. Mwahahah.
90 Draenei Shaman
when I have someone else in the picture helping to offset my bad eating habits

I don't even think I have that, tbh. All my mom does is sit on her bed and work from the apartment. We don't even do fun things together anymore :(

My life is a !@#$ing mess...
90 Night Elf Priest
Theolo, trust me, most of this is in your control.

A mess that can be cleaned up, undeniably.
90 Draenei Priest

I don't even think I have that, tbh. All my mom does is sit on her bed and work from the apartment. We don't even do fun things together anymore :(

My life is a !@#$ing mess...

You are the only one that can fix it, man.
90 Human Priest

\

If you don't ever use the oven/stove, sometimes it will burn junk that gets on the burners (dirt, ect). Use it more, and this won't happen :P

This

And/or get yourself an on-the-counter rice cooker, and/or a slow cooker/crock pot, and an on-the-counter veggie steamer.

We use our rice cooker to cook rice, then part-way through the rice cooking, we'll add frozen veggies to the rice (instead of using another pot to cook the veggies; having fewer pots & pans to clean up helps me a lot).

Add herbs/spices/flavouring as you cook rice to make it more enjoyable, to encourage you to eat at home. Things we add to rice:

- chopped onions, crushed garlic
- lemon juice & oregano (aka "Greek rice")
- tomato juice or canned tomatoes (with or without garlic, chilli powder, cayenne pepper, kidney beans)
- chicken bovril (tho I don't make rice that way often because of the high sodium content... I mean, in the grand scheme of things, go for it, but we enjoy rice so many other less-high-sodium ways, I figure why make it the only way we eat rice)
- coconut milk, lime juice, minced fresh ginger, and cumin (for Thai flavouring); you could go crazy and buy fresh cilantro for it too ;)

if you don't know how to use herbs & spices in flavourful quantities (ie, you're afraid of putting in too much), start out with a half teaspoon of [whatever ingredient, except for cayenne pepper, which you might want to start out with 1/4 t] and then if you eat it and you don't think it tastes strong enough, add more the next time you do it :)

I mean, presuming you're making only enough for yourself, or yourself and your mom, it sounds like? If you're making lots more than just "what's needed for two people to have rice with a meal" then you'd start with a whole teaspoon or two of [non-cayenne pepper] herb.
Edited by Iiritha on 12/1/2013 1:55 PM PST
90 Human Monk

Have you tried butterflying the chicken and then broiling it?

Check here for instructions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeWBbdwzvbs

My favorite cooking show <3

ALTON BROWN IS MY PERSONAL GOD

afk 20min to watch him roast a chicken

/fans self

Power to the Pilaf (Rice) is one of my favorite episodes.
I've modified that recipe so much...

The worst thing you can do though is to allow yourself open access to any item from a big bag cause you never stop.

If you must buy large amounts of snacks (money saving measure, so not a bad idea) never bring the entire amount of the snacks to your desk. Pour yourself a serving in a bowl instead.
Edited by Appachai on 12/1/2013 1:56 PM PST
90 Night Elf Priest
I should add learning how to cook serves three purposes:

-Healthy Eating
-Living on Your Own/Self Sufficient
-Girls

My best friend's hubby cooks. It definitely secured the position for him.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]