Ghostcrawler's Crab Cakes (Healer OT)

90 Human Monk
I should add learning how to cook serves three purposes:

-Healthy Eating
-Living on Your Own/Self Sufficient
-Girls

My best friend's hubby cooks. It definitely secured the position for him.

It has a fourth purpose:
Saving money.

It will cost a lot less money in the long run to cook for yourself instead of buying a lot of premade stuff or eating out.
Edited by Appachai on 12/1/2013 2:00 PM PST
90 Goblin Shaman
zZq
I love to cook. I'm just a bad person with leftovers so generally only do it when I have the kids. They always get a good homemade breakfast, lunch, and dinner when they're around.
90 Night Elf Priest
Yes that was bundled into #2. But its a huge help.

I'd like to cut out fast food all together

My desire to have kids seems to grow each day. I think all the different cute lunches and breakfasts I make are just training. I love making "cute" or clever food.
Edited by Naérwen on 12/1/2013 2:04 PM PST
90 Draenei Shaman
I think the last one is the only reason on that list that would actually motivate me to do anything, but I've been feeling so non-energetic and braindead lately that I can barely finish my classes, let alone do something just for my own benefit :(
90 Draenei Death Knight
grab a a pair of free weights (dumbbells? idk what the proper word is, and I don't care, I geuss) and do some bicep curls/triceps work/whatever.

Do 16oz curls count?
90 Human Monk
I think the last one is the only reason on that list that would actually motivate me to do anything, but I've been feeling so non-energetic and braindead lately that I can barely finish my classes, let alone do something just for my own benefit :(

With all the talk of Alton Brown going on, I like to suggest watching the series yourself! If you want to learn to cook, it's an excellent place to start.

Look up Good Eats. As described by Alton Brown himself, it's Julia Child meets Mr. Wizard meets Monty Python.
90 Draenei Priest

Those things will help energize you.

And srsly, make something of yourself so that you have something to bring into a relationship. You can't just expect potential partners to just fall into your lap for your own benefit.
90 Night Elf Priest
Cute love story time:

The best friend and her hubby have been inseperable since rhey were 13/14. The relationship started when she was at the principals office and he said..."I made this sandwhich, you want it?" He chucked it at her face and she hunted him down the next day to thank him.

They've been married 4 years now, together for 14.

He cooks the best food ever and she's admitted that when they're old and ugly, they'll always have his food to look forward to. Shes trying to learn some new tricks (she's an okay cook) from me however. I think shell soon surpass me ^^;

They take great enjoyment in cooking together as well.
Edited by Naérwen on 12/1/2013 2:10 PM PST
90 Human Priest
I've been feeling so non-energetic and braindead lately that I can barely finish my classes, let alone do something just for my own benefit :(

yeah, I know there are *plenty* of times - especially in past years when things were OMG so awful for me, but they absolutely still happen on a regular basis - where if I was the only one who had to eat, no way was I doing anything good for myself if it took even a tiny bit of energy.

Nonetheless - even if you can't find a way to get yourself to do it today, or tomorrow, or next month, occasionally remembering a list of "easy ways to eat at home that don't take all afternoon to make, and which don't burn the apartment down" is still knowledge you can file away for future reference. Some day you may feel up to trying something off the list for the first time.

12/01/2013 02:05 PMPosted by Ramblinrose
grab a a pair of free weights (dumbbells? idk what the proper word is, and I don't care, I geuss) and do some bicep curls/triceps work/whatever.

Do 16oz curls count?

Hell, clenching your hands into fists and raising your arms above your head and holding them there for 10sec counts!

Finished with 10sec? Do it again! :D

Seriously. Just that small amount of physical exertion makes a difference to your body, if you're extremely sedentary.

With all the talk of Alton Brown going on, I like to suggest watching the series yourself! If you want to learn to cook, it's an excellent place to start.

Look up Good Eats. As described by Alton Brown himself, it's Julia Child meets Mr. Wizard meets Monty Python.

And this.

If Alton Brown doesn't do it for you, look for other cooking show hosts, and find one who keeps you watching. Whether it's because they're really funny, or because what they make, specifically, really gets you interested... or because you think they're so hot you can't stop watching marathons of their shows... I don't care what the reason is.

If you can get excited about *watching* cooking, you'll *learn* something about how to cook. And then eventually, it'll get you interested to actually make *one* thing. And then maybe you'll eventually make another thing. And eventually, before you know it, you'll be learning how to cook :)
Edited by Iiritha on 12/1/2013 2:13 PM PST
90 Draenei Shaman
I'm familiar with Alton Brown and Good Eats. I used to watch it a lot, and it's still one of my favorite cooking shows. The problem is that I barely have the energy to wake up in the morning nowadays.

Last Tuesday, when I saw my therapist, she noticed that I was coming into her office progressively less energetic and more tired. I've personally noticed that I've been missing my classes more lately, or being increasingly tired and brain-dead when I'm in class.

I'd love to be exercising and cooking more, but I simply don't have the energy right now. I think my psychiatrist and I will need to work out a better cocktail of anti-depressants soon, because something isn't working.

The only thing I'm really, honestly happy about right now is that I have exactly one week of class left, and half of it is spent just on presentations in my Japanese class. There's not much left time left in the quarter, and I think I'm still in a good position for it, even with my mind and body failing on me over the last month or so.
Edited by Theolo on 12/1/2013 2:18 PM PST
90 Draenei Priest

I'd love to be exercising and cooking more, but I simply don't have the energy right now. I think my psychiatrist and I will need to work out a better cocktail of anti-depressants soon, because something isn't working.

There isn't a pill for motivation, bud : /

Just do it. Don't consider how you feel, or how tired you are. Just get up and do it. Break this habit.

So, have any of you ever watched "six feet under" before? It has that one dexter guy in it.
Edited by Aíyana on 12/1/2013 2:19 PM PST
90 Goblin Shaman
zZq
Exercise and eating better will give you energy and should help you feel happier in general. Like others have said, it doesn't need to be much. Something as simple as a 20 minute walk, or 10 sit ups/push ups. Things that only take a few minutes to do, but it all adds up. Over time you can add more to it.
90 Night Elf Monk
I also love food, Theo. my vice is coffee with all the fake nondairy creamer :( and my other vice is carbs. I'll eat an entire meal of just pasta or rice. ..... for multiple days in a row. .... even when i'm eating a normal meal, I don't feel full if there's not some potatoes or rice or something.

basically i've learned to be okay with being chubby. Sometimes it bothers me, but mostly I just don't worry about it. There are more important things on my list of priorities, like my mental health, and keeping a job, and quitting cigarettes.

http://!@#$yeahfatpositive.tumblr.com/
http://chubbyguyswag.tumblr.com/
http://radicallyvisible.wordpress.com/2013/02/07/comfort-eating-or-eating-comfortably/
http://www.shakesville.com/search/label/Fatsronauts%20101
might give you a start on being more okay with fatness.

edit: instead of the censor, imagine a four letter word that begins with F and ends with K
Edited by Rainbodash on 12/1/2013 2:22 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/01/2013 02:09 PMPosted by Naérwen
The relationship started when she was at the principals office and he said..."I made this sandwhich, you want it?" He chucked it at her face

True love. o_O
90 Blood Elf Priest
Definitely get your meds sorted out, Theolo. A good mixture of meds will definitely make or break your efforts. But it seems like you may need to set small goals for yourself. Don't log in to WoW until you spent 5 minutes walking, something simple. You don't want to trap yourself in a prison of your own making, man. You're young and can fight. It won't seem easy, but I'm sure everyone here believes in you. I do. You recognize there is something wrong. Now just work on fixing it. Don't overwhelm yourself. Just take it slow and steady.
90 Night Elf Monk
There isn't a pill for motivation, bud : /

Just do it. Don't consider how you feel, or how tired you are. Just get up and do it. Break this habit.

while this is good advice .... it's not very good advice for someone with clinical depression.

12/01/2013 02:19 PMPosted by Drownedelf
Exercise and eating better will give you energy and should help you feel happier in general. Like others have said, it doesn't need to be much. Something as simple as a 20 minute walk, or 10 sit ups/push ups. Things that only take a few minutes to do, but it all adds up. Over time you can add more to it.

this is very helpful for someone with normal mild depression. Not great advice for someone with severe clinical depression.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Best advice most people don't want to hear; get a gym membership.

People are talking about cutting back on this that and the other, and they're right, but going to the gym even 30 minutes a day, will do a lot.(bikes, treadmills, swimming, elliptical etc)

If nothing else, you'll be able to tell people you're working to better yourself, and they in turn can(and should) be supportive.
90 Night Elf Priest
basically i've learned to be okay with being chubby. Sometimes it bothers me, but mostly I just don't worry about it. There are more important things on my list of priorities, like my mental health, and keeping a job, and quitting cigarettes.

Psssh I bet you're gorgeous.

And I hae stayed fairly cig free (Apart from one here and there) for quite a few months now. It's been an incredible struggle but so worth it.

this is very helpful for someone with normal mild depression. Not great advice for someone with severe clinical depression.

Though taking time for myself *daily* has been a huge help towards dealing wiht my mental health issues. Sometimes starting a daily work out regime fills both rolls. We all need to remember to take time to just... get away from it all. And not in a negative way. Just a time to sort through and digest what's going on.

True love. o_O

You have no idea.
Edited by Naérwen on 12/1/2013 2:36 PM PST
90 Draenei Priest

while this is good advice .... it's not very good advice for someone with clinical depression.

He already seems to be on medication. Do you want us to prescribe something for him, or give him other options to help him feel better?

As naer posted, it would do nothing but help.
Edited by Aíyana on 12/1/2013 2:37 PM PST
90 Human Priest
RIP GC

And yeah, men who can cook are the sexiest thing on the planet.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]