Does skill and gear limit our view?

90 Pandaren Monk
Maybe this applies to all classes and roles, but I observe this moreso on the healer forums, and it has me a bit perturbed.

I see a lot of people asking for advice on how to play their spec in this forum, and generally, we give decently good advice; general tips, stat priorities, and so on. But I've also seen some players disregard any way other than the way they play for their raids, and they dismiss such strategies as outright bad.

For instance, I had a disc priest in my raid that was told by someone I guess from the forums somewhere (he said he got the advice from here) that he should be using Atonement only. I can only assume that the latter player was a 25man raider and well geared. However, for our raid as we recruited them, exclusively Atonement healing wasn't enough to keep our raid up. It wasn't because our DPS was bad or anyhting; he just didn't heal enough to have a single healer support everyone on progression.

The problem is thus: while we give great advice that works for us, is the advice we give really universal? Just because I can fistweave exclusively in 25mans, should I be fistweaving exclusively in 10mans?Just because my raiders will move out of stuff immediately as it spawns, does that mean every raider who doesn't move out as fast is immediately bad? Just because I have LMG and cloak, does that mean my advice should be tailored with the assumption that the player who is receiving my help has those?

I don't know, I just think we should be a little bit more concerned about how we dole out help to those coming to seek it. A lot of times I see "Play this way or you're bad". I'm not encouraging suboptimal play but just because we have competent raiders and we have skill, gear, and experience, doesn't mean everyone else does too.
Edited by Fistlobster on 11/28/2013 8:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
For instance, I had a disc priest in my raid that was told by someone I guess from the forums somewhere (he said he got the advice from here) that he should be using Atonement only. I can only assume that the latter player was a 25man raider and well geared. However, for our raid as we recruited them, exclusively Atonement healing wasn't enough to keep our raid up. It wasn't because our DPS was bad or anyhting; he just didn't heal enough to have a single healer support everyone on progression.

You would have to find the exact post to confirm that cause I garuntee you that any person who gave the advice that using atonement only in normals or heroics would have been quickly fixed and corrected. The only setting that atonement only works for is lfr cause there's nothing to heal, and generally speaking people only turn nasty around here when advice is given and the OP doesn't agree and is hostile back to the people replying.

But if he got that atonement only is the way to heal as I stated before my guess it was in context of lfr only. Any priest who uses only atonement in normals heroics will as you saw struggle and fall short.

I don't know, I just think we should be a little bit more concerned about how we dole out help to those coming to seek it. A lot of times I see "Play this way or you're bad". I'm not encouraging suboptimal play but just because we have competent raiders and we have skill, gear, and experience, doesn't mean everyone else does too.

The only time I see posters attacking is when someone makes a thread saying this is how you play x class at x level. When a poster makes a thread like that they should be open to constructive criticism. The last thread like that was a shaman thread that blew up about 5 days ago cause the OP refused to acknowledge that his playstyle while it was perfectly acceptable for lfr and flex, would not be acceptable for normal and heroic mode raiding, and told all the other posters we were wrong even though many people were or play with shamans in heroic raids.

Alternatively if you have a link to your priest raider or some logs Id be more than happy to give some advice if you don't dislike me after saying all I did above ><
Edited by Rapsidy on 11/28/2013 8:37 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]