Will Warlords reduce the amount of CC?

Community Manager
We are planning to take a strong look at CC in Warlords with the intent of dialing things back a little. We do think it's important that players are rewarded for using CC intelligently (by coordinating usage, being mindful of diminishing returns, etc), but we think we can approach things in a way that allows us to tone down CC overall while still providing that gameplay.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
We are planning to take a strong look at CC in Warlords with the intent of dialing things back a little. We do think it's important that players are rewarded for using CC intelligently (by coordinating usage, being mindful of diminishing returns, etc), but we think we can approach things in a way that allows us to tone down CC overall while still providing that gameplay.

Please do. I haven't enjoyed PvP in years due to CC spam. :(
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage

I hope this also means you will take a look at fear and its damage threshold.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock

But players love not being able to play while they are playing.

But seriously, look deep at it, shared DR and longer CDs for CCs would be a step in the right direction.
Reply Quote
70 Draenei Shaman
nerf fear to ground!!!!!
Reply Quote
I think they should also remove the 193249309375 gap closers melee have. I'm all for the slimming down for cc though, just have to find a way to keep melee off you.

Because less cc means more melee up time. Which only further increases the amount of instants and mobility squishies need to survive.
Edited by Azhara on 12/2/2013 1:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Just please do not reduce CC to the point of something like GW2.

Strong CC and proper use and counter of CC is the crux of skillful combat, else it's just a damage race.

It's the only way a smaller group of skilled players can beat a larger group of unorganized players. If CC is diminished too greatly, numbers almost always dictate who wins.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
Nerf Healing.
Reply Quote
9 Undead Mage

I hope you're going to keep in mind that monks kinda need their cc while you're doing this.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
CC is why I don't PvP anymore.

Spending 75% of any fight stunned, disoriented, rooted, feared, or frozen got old REAL quick.

And yes, I'm aware of the amount of irony that it comes for a rogue, but I don't just PvP on my rogue.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid

Strong look to dial it back a little sounds like:

"We're strongly considering making sweeping changes that will have very little affect on the overall experience."

Please don't follow the talent tree path of promising changes that repeatedly ended up not solving the issue. Here's an idea:

A character has a CC timer. It fills up. After he has spent x amount of time CC'd, he is immune to CC for x seconds.

Done and done. The only balance question at that point is how long the immunity is, and how much CC is needed to trigger it. It completely changes the nature of CC; at this point, you could even remove the headache of diminishing returns.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
As a ret pally main, I'll volunteer to give up my blinding light, repentance, and Evil is a Point of View to the gods above (just want to keep my hammer) to help cut down CC. If every other class cut back that much, PvP would be much more fun.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue

Will you be removing some cc breaks to go with the less cc?
Edited by Gank on 12/2/2013 1:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
Why it feels I'm the only one on this thread that is ok with the current amount of CCs and only is annoyed by only one of those.

Because... y'know, one of the points of pvp is to know how to deal with CCs...
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior

Can you make diminishing returns come about faster please?

The whole "I've been feared a full 12 seconds...I've been feared a full 11.5 seconds...I've been charmed a full 10 seconds, I've been charmed a full 9.5...oh I've been feared a full 12 seconds again."

That's never fun. Ever.
Reply Quote
70 Draenei Shaman
Why it feels I'm the only one on this thread that is ok with the current amount of CCs and only is annoyed by only one of those.

I don't mind the CC either to be honest.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior

Because some classes literally don't have a "Deal with this CC" button.

For instance: Other than rogues cloak of shadow, they have *Nothing*. Eat 15 fears in a row, until it finally kicks in to be a 0.5 second duration fear.

Then maybe you'll not complain. Blink is cheap.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
12/02/2013 11:01 AMPosted by Kenthil
If 90% of it was removed, Healers would die instantly.

Wrong, healers would be unkillable because you would be incapable of stopping their heals.

CC must be increased at the current state of PvP because Healing is outrageous atm.

In 2s you really need a Rogue and a Death Knight or Mage to do well as double DPS because even the slightest error will mean the MW Monk will not die and you will lose the match.

In 5s it is a little more balanced because you can focus more easily and groups are less FOTM but the rules still apply that healing atm is quite crazy.

CC is currently too weak against healers and if you want less CC you need to hit healers with the nerf bat and hard. Make it so they have to stand and cast, increase the importance of peels, this will probably give 2s to double dps teams but lol2s so really it isn't that much of a blow for balanced BGs and 5s.

You're right for the most part. I still believe, however, that generally anyone caught being trained has the possibility of getting killed with lack of CC; whether it be on healers or their partners. There is still going to always be that counter pressure you can apply to change things in your favor.

With 90% of CC removed it'll be hard to: stop that healing cast, LoS people with roots, stop incoming CC, and stop incoming CDs. All of these are important when killing healers, and enemies just in general. There's more than just spamming CC on a healer and calling it a day. Even in the game's current state, you can't keep a healer CC'd long enough alone and score a kill, other factors are included. Such as error and lag and whatnot.

Also, what you said is very valid for arenas. Looking at RBGs though, I believe is another problem in and of itself. It's a hard discussion, but I honestly think that DR categories need a look at.

Edit: and to clarify, yes I think healing is a bit absurd number wise right now and regardless needs to be looked at. Too many instants and sometimes even the #s get out of control.
Edited by Cydanide on 12/2/2013 1:16 PM PST
Reply Quote

I don't mind the CC either to be honest.

I've noticed it's mostly melee that complain about CC. Is it because they don't have 100% uptime on ranged squishies? :O

Which then goes back to my original point. Reduce CC but also give ranged more mobility, gap openers and instants because with less CC comes with more melee uptime. Which is going to ruin ranged.

As it is now, it's already difficult to escape a feral,warrior, rogue and monk.
Edited by Azhara on 12/2/2013 1:15 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]