Monk vs Shaman

90 Draenei Shaman
I am trying to decide between the two for healing main, my MW is only 40, and is really fun. And I love healing on a Shaman, the totems and HR, although I am still learning the best way to take advantage of tidal waves.

I'm so torn between the two and want to just main one of them in WoD, what are some pros and cons of each? Maybe I'll just play them both, but I really only want to focus on gearing one. I won't be doing a lot of high end PvP, most likely just BG's.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
I play them both, and find monk to be more engaging and fun. Hopefully there will be many changes to mw monks in WoD, though. We need them. (Shamans need changes, too imo).

It would be a better idea to play them both during the expansion and make your decision then. Level your monk in the mean-time, get it some timeless gear to make the leveling process a little easier at the start.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I really do enjoy the Monk, it is engaging and that what I like about it. It brings me into the class, I enjoy being right there smacking on the mobs. Do they have mana issues at all, if you're not fistweaving and just being a straight healer? I don't at my level unless I really get on using Surging Mist, but I really only drop mana when I am testing out how to heal, or when I get a new ability. It is a refreshing change of pace.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
We don't really have mana issues, if you're being smart about your mana tea and spell usage. We get away with having the least amount of spirit of all the healers, and dropping what we save with spirit into crit or haste. <3 mana tea.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
That's good to know, I think I decided I'll be maining the Monk through WoD. My Monk is RAF so hopefully I can get it up there quick and see some Raids with it.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Monk
That's good to know, I think I decided I'll be maining the Monk through WoD. My Monk is RAF so hopefully I can get it up there quick and see some Raids with it.

Make sure you take advantage of the daily at peak of serenity. The buff you get from will help you level very quickly.
Reply Quote
20 Troll Monk
Make sure you take advantage of the daily at peak of serenity. The buff you get from will help you level very quickly.

Monks are by far the easiest class to level because of this.....Enlightenment Buff + lvl 25 guild Bonus + BoA gear+ Timeless isle drop that increases you xp gains. Of course, all classes can use everything listed except for the Enlightenment buff Gained from peak of serenity.
Reply Quote
99 Troll Shaman
11/29/2013 02:38 PMPosted by Vailsx
I am still learning the best way to take advantage of tidal waves.

At this point, it is often just to ignore Tidal Waves completely and spam Chain Heal. Aside from that, you really don't allow Tidal Waves to decide spell usage. It's just a passive buff that is there for ~2/3 of your single target heals.

e.g. If somebody needs an emergency heal, you Surge them regardless of if you have TW.

We get away with having the least amount of spirit of all the healers

Don't count this as an advantage going into WoD, as blizz said that Spirit will matter for healers. I'm assuming this means they aren't particularly happy with current MW design.

But Icyveins does have this to say about them "At this stage of the expansion we believe Spirit will be more valuable to you than both Intellect and other secondary statistics."
Edited by Kuwilei on 12/2/2013 1:16 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]