Ret Gemming Question

90 Human Paladin
I see people saying that gemming str is only good when your gear is bad and eventually I guess you start putting haste gems into yellow slots and str/haste gems into red sockets. At what point does this happen?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Air
You're more than able to start gemming for haste now.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9753545568

Haste-biased gemming became superior to strength-biased gemming about this time last year. It's highly dependent on what gear you have, and yours is easily past the point where 2 haste is equal to 1 strength - most people are past that point by about iL 480.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Okay, I guess it is time I re-gem then.

So replace all reds with fierce, yellows with quick, and what about blue sockets?

And also if the socket bonus isn't worth it, which I guess now with haste being so good the str bonus will not be very good, should I just be putting straight haste gems into those?

Edit: Just looked at what was linked, I assume all my questions will be answered here. Thank you
Edited by Prophit on 11/29/2013 10:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
Edit: Just looked at what was linked, I assume all my questions will be answered here. Thank you

Most, if not all. Anything more specific, feel free to ask.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Have a few questions about socket bonuses which I do not really see mentioned in the guide.

If you inspect me and look at my weapons and pants which are both blue x1 for +60 str, is it worth it to go go for that socket or should I just put a quick gem in there?

Also looking at my gloves which are red x1 + blue x1 for +120 str, would that bonus be worth it or would I still be better off putting 2 quick gems in there?
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
Typically, for a socket to be mathematically worthwhile, the bonus needs to be more than sixty stats. This, of course, depends on if you need actually the ratings on the hybrid gem you'd be using - hit hybrid gems in blue sockets, for example.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Okay, so then I guess what I have gemmed now in my hands is fine but for my pants and wep since I do not need hit I am just going to go straight haste gems and ignore the bonus.

Also I am just about done re-gemming and I have noticed that my damage stat in my character panel has gone down from what it was when I had str-biased gemming. I am guessing that this damage stat does not correctly reflect what your actual damage in a raid would be and I can just ignore it?
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
I am guessing that this damage stat does not correctly reflect what your actual damage in a raid would be and I can just ignore it?

Well, yes and no. That number range is based on a complex strength equation, and you may notice that your attacks won't be hitting as hard as they once did. The thing is that, with more haste, you attack more frequently and generate Holy Power faster so that, in the end, you do more damage overall.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]