Why do I need mining...

90 Worgen Druid
to make a profit with engineering? Why should engineers be forced to take mining to replace the mote extractor that blizz is making obsolete for cataclysm.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
Engineering has never been about making money. Ever. Mining is your money-making profession. Engineering is about having fun, if making money is what you consider fun, you might consider going dual-gathering for the first couple months of cataclysm.

That being said, a true goblin can squeeze gold out of anything. Making money with engineering is no exception.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
I have to say that I agree. While I mourn the loss of my cool mote extractor, Engineering has always been about the fun and the toys. What with the sweet new pets that we get to make in cata (mini Fel Reaver FINALLY!!!) I'll accept the loss of my motes for the return of more fun :)
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
I have to agree with the poster to some extent. The mote extractor has been a nice way to gather (albeit minorly) motes/crystallized elements that would otherwise be found via mining or off certain creatures. If anything, I wish they would keep it and just let us continue getting occasional elements from gas clouds out there. and even expanded such that it could extract elements from fallen elemental type creatures the same way miners can mine some creatures and herbalists can sift for herbs from plant based creatures.

However, I wouldn't call mote extraction a hot money maker, nor would it be the *only* way to make money with engineering. On my server, I make a decent amount of coin selling Lil' Smokeys, Pet Bomblings, Tranquil Mechanical Yetis, and other mechanical pets only made by Engineering. I also manage to pull in money from Hunters for scopes and the occasional gun, and will probably continue to do so in Cata now that they are supposedly adding bows and crossbows to our list. I bring in much more money from items like that than I ever could from running around extracting gas clouds.

Anyways, I'm going to miss my mote extractor. It's been fun, but it's not the end of the world (unless you actually *live* on Azeroth at this point in time) ;)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
You guys don't understand. I make money fine. I just don't see why they would scrap a perfectly good idea (mote extractor) that was fine on its own. Then the replacement is an item that forces you to have both Mining and engineering to make use of it. Alchs,BS,LW, they can all have their miners,herbalists,skinners on other toons but if we want to use this downgraded replacement of the mote extractor we are forced to have mining.

Its a case of don't fix something that isn't broken.
Reply Quote
42 Gnome Mage
I could be mistaken, but I believe I read that there a replacement for the mote extractor in a new Engineering item.

Edit: Nevermind, it's an item that requires Mining. *sigh*
Edited by Cordelia on 11/18/2010 11:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
A while ago in BC, Blizzard introduced Best-In-Slot items. The problem they discovered was that people were selecting professions based on what will maximize their statistics vs what they think is fun.

The new item that gives Volatile Air in Cataclysm is (I believe) being introduced for the very same reason.

Since the "stat perks" were introduced - people started choosing their professions just because of the perks that would give them "best in such-n-such stat" advantage. Having 2 primary professions instead of 1 gather, 1 primary became the fundamental for stat-maximizing.

Right now, gathering professions needed more things to make them attractive to make end-game players want them that gives them advantages - something more than just statistics.

So now, you're given a choice. You either choose to maximize end-game statistics at the expense of making gold, or conversely you choose making gold at the expense of a few less stat advantages.

I had a feeling they would give Mining and gathering professions a boost in some way in Cata, and am SOOO glad I didn't jump on the bandwagon of nabbing "two primary professions". ^_^

Edit: grammar and added last sentence.
Edited by Meadows on 11/18/2010 11:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Then why are they only doing it to engineering?

They are moving most of our good tinkers to the belt which limits the fun we can have as well as we still cant use them in arena/rated BGs . In wrath they gave us an overly expensive mount that most of the gold went to a vendor and everyone can use but they aren't doing the same to the new alchemy gold sink mount. Now they do this and if what you are thinking is correct then they would have to do it to every crafting profession which they aren't
Reply Quote
80 Human Warlock
It's funny to me how quick some people are to be negative to posters in these forums. Simply put: I have a miner alt who feeds ore to my engineer. I have a LW, and an alt that skins and feeds him leather. The fact is: engineers have been able to farm motes for years, and now have professions leveled accordingly. Blacksmithing doesn't require a miner on the same toon to be able to get mats, and neither do leatherworkers. To change the core famring mechanic of an engineer after all this time, and make it so you have to be an eng/gatherer combo to obtain the motes is simply going to drive the prices of motes through the roof. Yes, eng isn't intended to be a moneymaker, but being able to obtain motes is required to craft our items. That was the one small perk that helped take the edge off the gold sink a little bit, and I, for one, don't think that changing the core mechanic of it after years, and making it unique for only that combo of professions is a good move.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
You guys don't understand. I make money fine. I just don't see why they would scrap a perfectly good idea (mote extractor) that was fine on its own. Then the replacement is an item that forces you to have both Mining and engineering to make use of it. Alchs,BS,LW, they can all have their miners,herbalists,skinners on other toons but if we want to use this downgraded replacement of the mote extractor we are forced to have mining.

Its a case of don't fix something that isn't broken.

I agree with this post in it's entirety.

More than a question of why we need mining, why did they remove the mote extractor? It was fine as it is. It wasn't overpowered.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue

I agree with this post in it's entirety.

More than a question of why we need mining, why did they remove the mote extractor? It was fine as it is. It wasn't overpowered.

I think this is a baby-step reason. I don't thing the Mote Clouds were "overpowered" so much as "having to worry about placement/creation of yet another extra oddball lootable doodad around the world".

Somebody above asked "Why aren't they doing this with other professions." and that's a good question. Simply put I think this is just a "beta test" to see how it goes. Then perhaps we'll see something given to Blacksmithing, Jewelcrafting and leatherworking perhaps?

The only OTHER possibility is they're perhaps thinking that since Engineering is meant to "enhance" things - perhaps they're simply placing gathering professions under that list of enhanced quality of life perks that Engineering provides. Notice that this device is not JUST for mining, but also skinning and herbalism too. So, if I choose to drop mining and go for skinning just for the crit buff - I'm still golden.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Why not just make the electrostatic condenser randomly loot all types of motes instead of just air?

That seems simple enough.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]