Hunter pvp: a real discussion

3 Night Elf Priest
Steady Shot needs to do a lot more damage period if they insist on our focus regen being crap.

/agree

Last time I checked it wasn't even a top 3 overall damage shot. for as much as it's used (along with cobra shot) they should really buff the damage on both of them. Filler talents for other classes do as much as our signature shots. It's a long road to fix though because there would be so many things that would need to be tweaked if they did a big overhaul that it would take months to finish.

That's what we get though for Blizzard rushing a product to the market for the Christmas crowd. As it stands now hunters are approx 6-8 months from being finished.
Edited by Alssa on 11/18/2010 5:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
84 Blood Elf Mage
Fiorae here on the main.

Frankly once my hunter gets Skoll, I won't be touching her for a bit. I may jump to 85 for that awesome shale spider rare mob in Vashir, but then I'm gonna focus on my rogue. Hunters as they are right now are kinda worthless in the endgame.
Reply Quote
47 Dwarf Hunter
they can easily buff steady shot, it just has to be a buff for MM and not other specs. It's already better for MM than it is for other specs, but it's not better by enough.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
As far as Beta Viability go, Survival is the best tree.

While it doesn't quite have that many reliable, short cooldown tools like Marks and Silencing shot, it has at least A BIT of damage, it's focus is not awful and it has a bunch of significant % Modifiers, which always help with scalling (% bonus from Mastery, 10% extra damage with scorpid sting, etc). Mirrored Blades is ok, Wyvern is bleh, and that's basically where it differs from the other trees (Our combat style for all trees are too mirror'd, btw. Just saying)

Bestial Wrath is basically garbage for PvP. I know you said not to mention pets are squishy, but well, they are, and on top of that the damage is still "meh", BW immunity removal was the gutting of the one trick of this one trick pony. There isn't much left.

Marksman is dead until they majorly revamp talents, our Physical damage scalling, Artisan Quiver passive mastery (Wild Quiver is ok, Artisan isn't), among other issues. I'd honestly like to see Marksman as a much more physical oriented spec, in the same sense Rogues got Subtletly, and Subtletly got the tools to not be so hard-countered by armor. I know armor still mitigates lots of Sub damage but at least they have SOMETHING, yetthe Marks tree is still undecided - It does Chimera Damage for magic, Arcane shot for magic (Which now you spam al ot more than before for marks...) yet most talents seem to want to buff your physical damage, and so do the mastery.

Should just go with Marks as the physical spec and it would be k.
That's why Marks steady is so weak anyhow, because cobra ignores armor even for MM.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue

Overall, I prefer the playstyle of SV, over the other two. MM is probably the stronger spec at the moment just because of silencing shot. Contrary, to what fluff said, i would take black arrow because it's extra damage, and we need it, even though it blows at the moment.

It's not extra damage if it does less than arcane and costs more focus. Then all it is is wasted focus.

I only cast black arrow in PvP if I'm trying to dot someone up. Otherwise you're much better off using arcane.

Funnily enough, I dotted someone running past with BA & Serpent Sting + explosive. Then got charged by a warrior, dropped an ice trap and then lock and load proc'd (from the black arrow previously cast). Great timing :D

So you really think that your LnL was procced off of your BA?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
Overall, I prefer the playstyle of SV, over the other two. MM is probably the stronger spec at the moment just because of silencing shot. Contrary, to what fluff said, i would take black arrow because it's extra damage, and we need it, even though it blows at the moment.

It's not extra damage if it does less than arcane and costs more focus. Then all it is is wasted focus.

I only cast black arrow in PvP if I'm trying to dot someone up. Otherwise you're much better off using arcane.

Funnily enough, I dotted someone running past with BA & Serpent Sting + explosive. Then got charged by a warrior, dropped an ice trap and then lock and load proc'd (from the black arrow previously cast). Great timing :D

So you really think that your LnL was procced off of your BA?

LOL I just re-read that. Sorry, I meant my LnL proc'd before the warrior got hit by ice trap.

Made me laugh.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Frost Trap/Freezing Trap have been buggy with LnL procs.

More like this effect is intended. Just like the fail Trap Radius.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter

I read somewhere that there is an internal cooldown on LnL proc's. I think it's about 1min but could be wrong.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter

I read somewhere that there is an internal cooldown on LnL proc's. I think it's about 1min but could be wrong.

that has to be wrong. I have no proof, but i could swear I get LnL procs within 10 seconds of each other sometimes. 1 min cooldown would be just mean. :(
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
Also, if I may ask.. What pets do you guys primarily use in pvp? I use the bird of prey for it's 10 sec disarm. That way all the melee hit me for ....less catastrophic numbers.

Does anyone use a moth? or is it not worth it?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter

that has to be wrong. I have no proof, but i could swear I get LnL procs within 10 seconds of each other sometimes. 1 min cooldown would be just mean. :(

I could be wrong. I just seem to remember seeing it somewhere.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter

I could be wrong. I just seem to remember seeing it somewhere.

Just put on a lab coat and did a very scientific test to check the timing. there could be an internal cooldown, but if there is, it's less than 15 seconds.

I had a warlock stand there outside org, and i put a freezing trap on him, then dropped an explosive trap right after. the freezing proced the first LnL, then the explosive proced it a few seconds after the first proc ended.

with these results, i can verify that E does infact = MC^2
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
LnL proc'd through Explosive/Immolation Traps/BA triggers an ICD which isn't linked with LnL proc'ing from Ice/Freezing traps, that should help with some of the confusion hopefully.

The reason they won't buff steady anymore is because MM is based around doing a lot of small damage attacks instead of having a lot of burst. Let's say your cobra shot hits for 15k and so does steady. Now you're MM, you shoot a 15k steady followed by a 12k wild quiver. The point I'm trying to illustrate is if you buff MM shots too much you fall into the whole "lol I just ate a LvB+Overload for 40k and got globaled" scenario. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to be OP as hell for a bit but you get my point.

This isn't really going to work in either PvE or PvP unless MM regains it's one selling point that made it overtake SV in WotLK, buffed weapon damage coefficients(and a really good scaling bleed in piercing shots). Right now Survival is better than MM in both the burst and sustained DPS department. It's also the only spec that can set up some semblance of burst through a Trap>LnL>dump explosive shots combo. I had a guildie hunter go MM in the premade T11 and we did a quick test on a tank and spank boss in a heroic with me as SV. Our only buffs were MotW, Horn of Winter from my cat and Sunder Armour from his raptor. He was hovering around 15k while I was effortlessly maintaining a steady 19k.

I'm pretty much not caring about PvP atm because unless some major changes are made, it's going to be a pretty shaky trip through the arena season.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]