Exorcism target changing.

90 Night Elf Priest
So I have taken a great deal of advantage of the new "dps when not healing" that 4.0.1 gave us. My Paladin, for example, with the right talents does great dps spamming exorcism with the occasional holy shock. But there is one small annoyance I'm unsure is on purpose or not.

I'm sure all healers know you can change your target mid cast so you are ready to heal the next person. This works great. (also works while dpsing and tabbing)

Exorcism doesn't seem to like it, though. If I am in a mid exorcism cast and target a person who I want to heal next, as soon as Exorcism is cast on the mob it re-targets it automatically. So I am unable to set up the heal on my target. I have to wait until exorcism is comply done before switching targets to heal.

This doesn't seem to be a problem with smite or lighting bolt or wrath that I can tell. Just exorcism. (Yes I have all 4 healers ^_^)

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this on purpose?
Edited by Rìchy on 11/19/2010 12:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Yup I've only ever noticed this problem with exor. It's very annoying especially when it causes my next holy shock to accidentally hit offensively (and no - it's nothing to do with HS interaction. It happens no matter what cast I'm next using).
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Slight annoyance that could be fixed (however I've never even noticed it), but there's no reason you can't be ready with either a mouseover or clique. So there are ways to circumvent the issue despite not being optimal to your playstyle.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Yeah, I guess I'll just have to live with it and hope it gets fixed. I really like being able to dps when not healing, though.
Reply Quote
63 Orc Shaman
I use mouse-over macros to heal and never target the people I heal anyway. I suggest you look into it, it is so much more effective.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
This is the way all damage-dealing abilities work iirc.

Try it with LB/Wrath/Smite.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

I have and they don't behave the same way.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I use mouse-over macros to heal and never target the people I heal anyway. I suggest you look into it, it is so much more effective.
I've tried to read up on macros. It seems it is mostly useful for doing two things at once when global cool down is not an issue. Also cast sequence, but I got flamed for being "bad" when I asked about those. I have tried to study mouse over, but I personally like the way the UI is set up now and have been using it for 6 years now.

I have. If I cast smite on a mob, and in mid cast target the tank to heal after the smite is done, the tank remains targeted. If I do the same thing with exorcism, instead of keeping the tank targeted, as soon as the exorcism is cast, it re-targets the mob. This takes away any slack time I have to move my mouse to the proper heal button mid-cast I have with all other abilities. I can't see this is being intentional.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
I don't have this problem, but that's because my LB/Wrath/Smite/Exorcism is macro'd to target the target's target. Since everyone's targeting the boss, I just point at whomever needs the heal.

[target=targettarget]
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I really need to learn these macros. They seem to make things easier. Anyone have one made that can show me these target/target macro?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I really need to learn these macros. They seem to make things easier. Anyone have one made that can show me these target/target macro?

#showtooltip
/cast [@targettarget] Exorcism

So if you're healing your warrior friend hitting the above macro will cast exorcism on whoever he's targeting.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
Dear God this is annoying.

And no, this is NOT how all damage dealing things work, Smite, Wrath, Holy Fire, Penance etc do not do this.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I use mouseover, it works great with Grid or PitBull 4.0 custom frames.

#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover,help][help][@player] Holy Light

You can insert any of your healing spells where Holy Light is and it works. I use this macro with my Ret Pally and WoG to gain the Selfless buff real fast without target switching.

This macro will first check and see if you have a mouseover target that you can help, if that returns 0 then it checks your target to see if you can help, if that returns 0 then it will target you.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
It might be because Exorcism will automatically target a hostile mob in range if you don't have one selected. Most spells don't do that, while most physical abilities do.

Does it still turn on auto-attack too?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest

This. I haven't experienced the OP's problem, at least while using Priest spells. But then, I use click-to-cast and mouseover macros to heal, so I can keep a boss targeted the entire time without a problem.
Reply Quote
63 Orc Shaman
What the following macro does is first of all, if I am mousing over someone (grid or in the 3D world) it will hit them. If I don't have anyone targeted, it will hit me. If I do have someone targeted it will hit the target.

#showtooltip Holy Light
/cast [target=mouseover,exists][target=target,exists][target=player] Holy Light

This is the macro I use for my spells. Simply copy and paste and of course change the names of the spells. I use mouse over macros for most abilities that will be cast on other people, heals, dispels, and powerful short duration buffs such as Hand of Freedom and Hand of Protection.

Incredibly useful and fast.

I only mouse over using UI, I doing mouse over people in the 3D world because that is very mistake prone due to the accuracy you need to have against moving targets.

While the UI responsiveness while clicking is very reliable and responsive, there were times where it wasn't nice, especially when I experienced a sudden spike in the frame rate and the game seemed to ignore my mouse click. Haven't had any problems with mouse overs.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I only recently leveled up a paladin as prot so I haven't seen it with Exorcism, but Judgement has been doing this too. I haven't paid very close attention to it, but it seemed like it happened mostly if I was in a big hurry to hit the followup cast before that GCD finished. Definitely nothing to do with hostile/friendly recognition or targeting there.

I figured it was just lag and/or goofy interactions with the "not ready yet" error trigger, might have to dig into it a bit more. I haven't noticed it on any other toons, but haven't been in-game a lot since 4.x
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
It might be because Exorcism will automatically target a hostile mob in range if you don't have one selected. Most spells don't do that, while most physical abilities do.

Does it still turn on auto-attack too?

I was going to ask if it did that.

I've found my hunter shots will retarget who they're hitting if I swap targets mid-cast (Even the instants will do it if I swap targets before the lag+travel time gives a hit), and my hunter shots auto-target if I don't have one selected.

Whereas on my mage or my priest, if I try to hit a damage spell, I'll just get "No target selected"

There you go, now you can ask blizzard to look at the code for the spells which will auto-target if you don't have a target, I guess.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]