My name was taken from me.

80 Night Elf Rogue
I had a character on Destromath that I have had since 2 weeks after the game came out in 2004 named Nyx. I had to do a server transfer for personal reasons and OF COURSE I could not keep that name on the new server. I LOVE that name, so I made a level 1 charachter with the intention that I could come back and level it again later. I had to stop playing because I didn't have a job and had to move to another state. I started playing again recently and today I went back to Destromath so I could level that charachter, only to find that the character is now named Nyxxyz and that the name is now taken by someone else.

This is a name that I played with for 5 years. It's not like this is some random name that I just want to hold on to because I "might" play it some day. This is a name that I knew I would play with again. I am pretty upset that someone can take my name because I had to stop playing because I had to move and had no money.

On top of this, I didn't get an email saying that a change had been made to my account. When a player who has an offensive name get changed, they at least get the courtesy of an email stating that a change has been made to their account.

I have put in a ticket in game and I sent an email to the account management team. I want this name back. It shouldn't have been taken in the first place with out my permission. What else can I do?

*Edited for spelling only.
Edited by Nyxey on 11/19/2010 12:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Priest
it sounds like you've already done everything needed to try and get some answers about your issue your having.

From what I understand, if an account goes inactive for a certain amount of time players can open tickets to see if a name can be obtained from another player. Same with guild leadership. If a GM has been inactive for a certain amount of time a player can open a ticket and request the leadership be switched to another player.

I may be wrong though.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Rogue
No, I have asked around and apparently if someone petitions enough, they might get a GM that will do it. This character apparently fit whatever incredibly vague criteria that Blizzard has set up for this process and they won't post what it is anywhere.
I can't find a policy stating this can be done. I don't see anywhere that it is listed that if you are inactive you run the risk of having names taken from toons on your accounts and I poured through the Naming Policy and the Name Change Policy. It's not anywhere.
This is a policy that appears to be completely arbitrary.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
No, I have asked around and apparently if someone petitions enough, they might get a GM that will do it. This character apparently fit whatever incredibly vague criteria that Blizzard has set up for this process and they won't post what it is anywhere.
I can't find a policy stating this can be done. I don't see anywhere that it is listed that if you are inactive you run the risk of having names taken from toons on your accounts and I poured through the Naming Policy and the Name Change Policy. It's not anywhere.
This is a policy that appears to be completely arbitrary.

We will entertain a request of this nature under certain circumstances. If you've appealed, that is the proper course, but if a name or account isn't being used, it's absolutely within our discretion to allow another player to have it if requested and we find it meets very strict criteria.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Death Knight
Well, apparently you haven't touched that level one. Characters aren't meant for placeholders. Next time, level your placeholder a bit so that the Game Master investigating can see that there is intent of you playing said character.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Priest
This is a name that I knew I would play with again. I am pretty upset that someone can take my name because I had to stop playing because I had to move and had no money.

I also wanted to mention, that even though you had all the intention in the world to use this name for yourself. you mentioned your account went frozen for a time period. Blizzzard has no way in knowing if a player will come back or not. They probably saw that an account was not being used that had a name another player wanted on a level 1.

Seems like it was a perfect senario for bilzzard to allow the name to be used by someone else.

Edit: Spelling
Edited by Vereör on 11/19/2010 1:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Rogue
That's absolutely ridiculous. Between multiple accounts, paid character transfers, name changes and monthly fees. I have paid Blizzard alot of money. I don't see any reason why I can't save a name so that I can use it later.

Blizzard does have the right to do whatever they want my with the data they hold on their servers that I use. I have a feeling I am not going to hear different answers from the other sources I have tried. Nor will I get more empathy than I got here. We will see, but I have already cancelled my account and I won't be buying Cata. I don't need to pay for this kind of service.
Reply Quote
8 Orc Hunter
When you left that server, transferring your toon to another realm... you lost your ability to retain your name there.

Sure, you rolled a level 1 placeholder.

Woo hoo.

You didn't PLAY it, didn't establish yourself there with that name, didn't create an active toon there.

Why would Blizzard hold that name for you, when another player was actively looking to PLAY a toon with that name?

Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
see ya dec 7th your not going to not play if your this mad
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
That's absolutely ridiculous. Between multiple accounts, paid character transfers, name changes and monthly fees. I have paid Blizzard alot of money. I don't see any reason why I can't save a name so that I can use it later. .

You paid for realm access, which you have.
You paid for character transfers, which you got.
You paid for Name changes, which you got.

I do not believe Blizzard offer a paid name reservation service.

Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
technically everything in WoW is simply data that is owned by blizzard and leased to you for $15/mo. If blizzard wants to give someone else a name, it is well within the ToU for them to do it at their sole discretion. Good luck on the petition, but I'm guessing if you had a low level especially if it was just a level 0 alt (made as a place holder and never actually logged in) I would be it would be unlikely to get your name back.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Blizzard had every right to give that character name to someone who was actually playing and being active on the server.
Reply Quote
1 Troll Hunter
The new Nyx appears to have been inactive for close to two months. It's possible the account holder canceled his/her subscription and a GM would actually resolve this for you.

However...
... but I have already cancelled my account and I won't be buying Cata. I don't need to pay for this kind of service.

This is where you really blew it. Being a baby will get you nowhere. And if a GM reviews your ticket and sees your account is canceled, he'll probably just skip on past it anyways.

I might also point out that your character's name is currently not Nyx, and there is no Nyx on your server. It must not be that big a deal.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
With over 12 million active accounts. It is getting harder and harder for people to come up with names that are not already taken, and with in the naming policy, especially on mid or high population servers. So way shouldn't free up placeholder names, on inactive accounts.

Even so Blizzard has only been know to Free-Up names in extremely rare cases. While they will not post what criteria they use, forum regulars know of only 2 type of cases in which they have.

1. The most common cases is where it was a place holder name. One in which someone made the name, but never logged in on it. Also in these cases the “owner” hasn’t played the game on any of their toons in several months. How long they have to be inactive is anyone’s guess, I have heard anywhere from 3 to 6 months.

Please note: Toons under level 10 do not show up on the Armory. So just because the toon does not show up on the armory, does not mean it is inactive. It could be someone’s level 1 bank/AH toon, they are on every day, but are not currently leveling. Blizzard will not make the name the name of someone’s active bank toons available.

Lastly it is highly unlikely that Blizzard would take the name of a toon that has been leveled to any extent. Again the level cut off is anyone’s guess. Those that are under Level 10 are the most likely to be freed up. However I have never heard of them freeing up a level 50 or above, name.

2. The only other case I know about has been when the person has been permanently banned and no attempt has been made to appeal it or that the appeal was denied, and a very, very long time had past.

Reply Quote
1 Troll Hunter

Please note: Toons under level 10 do not show up on the Armory.

With the new armory, you get a different error page if a character exists but is below level 10. For example, view my toon's profile versus something like Posterxyz

character under level 10 - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dragonblight/poster/
character doesn't exist - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dragonblight/posterxyz/
Reply Quote
62 Draenei Death Knight
I'm someone who has petitioned for names six times and been successful getting five of them. Before I requested them I did some research.
Four were not showing up in the armory so I assumed they were under level 10. I got all of those.

One was a level 30 pally but when I clicked on her name I got the character doesn't exist page. I got that one.

The last one, was a 30ish rogue that gave me her armory but didn't show any activity since December of last year. I did not get this name.

So, what I learned from this experience...
Always, log in your name placeholders and do a quest or kill something or sell something, ANY activity, or someone can easily snatch it up.

If it is a decent level, then I gather about a year is standard.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Rogue
Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean it is right to do it...

If they had done ANY investigation into my account they would see that I used that name solidly for 5 years. They would have seen that I had taken 2 breaks previously and come back.

Had any attempt to contact me been made, they would have found out why I had an inactive account and that I had every intention of coming back and playing that character.

There are no hard fast rules to this policy. As you can see, no one knows EXACTLY what you need to do to ensure your name isn't taken off of a character. This is something new to WoW. I haven't ever heard of anyone getting someone else's name before now. This has to be from the last year.

For those of you who think I shouldn't be incredibly irritated by this, I think you would be too if the tables were turned. I know it's nice and safe on these boards so you can say what you want with out fear of having to deal with the person you are addressing in a personal way. I just wanted to see if I could get some help. Not be belittled by board trolls.
Reply Quote
8 Orc Hunter

If they had done ANY investigation into my account they would see that I used that name solidly for 5 years. They would have seen that I had taken 2 breaks previously and come back.

Great. How does that impact a toon you rolled as a placeholder and didn't play?

Had any attempt to contact me been made, they would have found out why I had an inactive account and that I had every intention of coming back and playing that character.

Intentions are great things. Actions are better.

You didn't play the toon. It was merely a placeholder that was inactive.

There are no hard fast rules to this policy. As you can see, no one knows EXACTLY what you need to do to ensure your name isn't taken off of a character.

Wrong. I know EXACTLY what you need to do. PLAY THE TOON.

This is something new to WoW. I haven't ever heard of anyone getting someone else's name before now. This has to be from the last year.

It's been happening for quite a while. It's certainly not 'new' or a unique situation.

For those of you who think I shouldn't be incredibly irritated by this, I think you would be too if the tables were turned. I know it's nice and safe on these boards so you can say what you want with out fear of having to deal with the person you are addressing in a personal way. I just wanted to see if I could get some help. Not be belittled by board trolls.

No, If one of my placeholder names was gone when I finally got around to playing them, I'd pick a new name and move on with my life.

See, if I really wanted that toon to have that name? I'd have played it, rather than just rolling it up.

You're just upset because you're overattached to a certain name on a certain realm. However, you gave up any claim to that name when you transferred off the realm.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Rogue
It's been happening for quite a while. It's certainly not 'new' or a unique situation.

I am being completely serious. When is the first time you heard of this happening?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]