Healers need to get real.

7 Night Elf Rogue
First off, if you haven't read GhostCrawler's blog on healing in Cata yet, do so now: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/1179708

I play a priest and I've seen a lot of QQ threads by priests asking for buffs and a lot of posts by other healing classes saying that priests suck and need to be buffed. Well, and this will probably get me flamed, but MAYBE priests don't need to be buffed more. MAYBE the other healing classes need to be nerfed.

Let's get real here. I don't know about you guys but I don't want my priest to be OP in Cata. I don't want mana to never be an issue like in WotLK. If priests are the only ones in the cata raids that really have to worry about mana, then maybe priests aren't underpowered, maybe the other classes are overpowered.

I *hope* we can all agree that we want all the healing classes to be balanced to each other so that no class gets excluded from raids for being inferior. If that gets accomplished and the content is too hard, then the dev team can either buff the healers or nerf the encounter damage. But to continually cry for more buffs I think is disingenuous to what WE as healers really want from Cata - which is for healing to be FUN and for all the healing classes to be BALANCED TO EACH OTHER.

I certainly don't want the dev team to feel undue pressure from the community to keep on buffing and cause us to have another WotLK! I hope all you other healers agree.

GC and the other Devs, thank you for your hard work and please keep it up! Please know that while we may cry for buffs, what we, the healing community, really want out of Cata is balance across the healing classes so no-one gets left out and for healing to be FUN and strategic! :)

Reply Quote
7 Night Elf Rogue
I'm going to follow up my own post here by clarifying something:

I'm not saying that other healers absolutely need a nerf for cata, what I'm saying is that we need to recognize and make sure GC and the dev team know that what we really want is BALANCE. I know our natural tendency is to ask for buffs and avoid the word "nerf" at all costs, but I think we can all agree we don't want another WotLK either, so if nerfs are what it takes to make healing work for Cata, then nerfs are what we need.

We shouldn't try and hamper the dev team from applying nerfs if that's the best way to balance things and make healing challenging and fun.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Imo, (which is admittedly shaped by the eyes of a pally) the thing people fear the most is the unknown; exasperated only by the fact that the only known element right now is massive change. Sure, we have a general grasp of what our abilities are right now and what they do and how they work together, but not even the beta testers have experienced the true "end-game". They have all gotten the "let's make sure the mechanics work" version.

As I've said before, the true goal of any developer in any game is to make that game challenging and engaging for all who play it. That's what keeps the revenue stream going. Even though I have had my own doubts before, I am quite certain that these developers only want the best experience for every class. Whether a buff to one class or a nerf to another is required to meet that goal is yet to be seen. But there were peaks and tweaks in Wrath that went right up into the last phase of the expansion. As much as it pains me to say it, patience is a virtue. And I have plenty, as long as I am getting what I want RIGHT NOW! ;-)

Even if your class seems lacking right now, don't let that prevent you from enjoying the other parts of what is sure to be an absolutely awesome expansion.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Priest
People who believe Ghostcrawler (or the other developers) is "out to get" any class are wrong; the developers definitely get it wrong from time to time, but it's obviously not malice.

With that said, I am not sure what you hope to accomplish with this post. I believe the general consensus among healers was that paladins and druids needed a healing nerf for 85 raid content. Those have been outlined and are being tested.

Generally speaking I think the healing populous is in favor of balance. If it seems like the loud-mouthed minority decry anything that isn't a buff to their class of choice, just keep in mind that the silent majority are playing (and enjoying) the game.
Reply Quote
I think a lot of ppl are whining right now because they are at a mixed point. They are doing WotLK mobs that don't follow the Cata rules. GC said that they made things in WotLK high damage which forces the expensive spells. Now the characters are following the Cata mana regen rules but the mobs and bosses are still folowing the WotLK rules for high damage. This makes healers feel weaker than they are/will be. They are going OOM the middle of phase 2 on LK and can't do much about it because they HAVE to use the expensive spells or people will die.

It will disappear while players level and hopefully not be back again.
Reply Quote
7 Night Elf Rogue
If it seems like the loud-mouthed minority decry anything that isn't a buff to their class of choice, just keep in mind that the silent majority are playing (and enjoying) the game.

^That is what I wanted to accomplish with this post. To offset all the QQ posts that call for buffs and all the people that flame anytime the word nerf is mentioned, I wanted to speak out on behalf of the silent majority you mentioned and make sure the Devs know we are supportive of what they are trying to do.

We know the devs read the forums, and certainly as the wow community are the ones who pay for their jobs, they feel pressure to make players happy. I just want to the devs to know that the majority of us support the new Cata model wholeheartedly and are fully supportive of whatever needs to be done to make it work. I don't want them to think that the minority of players that threaten to quit the game if their class gets nerfed or doesn't get a buff, even though they tend to be the most outspoken, do NOT represent the majority of players.

That said, it IS important to let the devs know when balance is out of whack, but BUFFS aren't the only way to balance things (which like you said I think the majority of players understand, but the outspoken minority don't seem to always get this).
Edited by Solira on 11/19/2010 12:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't care if they do it through buffs or nerfs, but healers need to be balanced. Healing output in a raid setting is more or less equal. However, survivability and efficiency aren't balanced, and that has made the healing classes perform very differently in PVP.

Holy Priests in particular need some kind of change. Their healing style is based around using a lot of different small heals spread across a large number of players. It works well in a group, but that type of healing doesn't work well when you're healing just yourself or a small number of players. In order for Holy (or Disc even) to be viable in PVP, they need some kind of tool that can keep them alive and not rapidly run them out of mana.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
While it is very kind of you to try and speak for the "silent majority" and to let the devs. know they are on the right track, I think to just dismiss people who complain is folly.

The past few weeks have been good for my class. We have received more attention in the past month than we have in years. For this I say thank you, it is much appreciated and a long time in coming.

Having said that, there is much more to do. I am very much behind the changes to healing. Anything that moves us back toward the time when the term "good healer" meant more than just who could click the fastest is a good thing. For this to work, however, it requires that all healers perform equally or as close to equally as is humanly possible.

This model makes it even more important that the thing that distinguishes good from bad is the skill of the player and not the class they play. Without this parity we will see situations where some classes are again "necessary" for some encounters and others will only be allowed to watch from the sidelines.

We can all agree none of us want that.

Logs and data from beta seem to indicate that some classes are very near where they want them to be as far as output and regen but that some others are still over-performing, particularly in the regen department. In a world where mana matters, those classes will be king and by an even greater margin than they are today. I think this is a valid concern and people are right for trying to bring it to their attention.

While I share in your feeling that the devs. are moving in the right direction and I do have faith that these remaining discrepancies will be addressed before we are raiding again, I respectfully withold my pat on the back until the classes truly are as equal as they can possibly be.

Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
My experience in beta from the past week feels that priests have been overbuffed in relation to the nerfs everyone else got.

Any priest PvE complaints are probably because they're looking at old data, the current state on live, or just feel like crying as many priests tend to do.
Priest PvP complaints are a bit more justified, but any fixes they do need to only touch pvp because of how close pve balance is right now. Again its likely another case of tweaking other class pvp tools instead of buffing priests.
Reply Quote
1 Dwarf Paladin
yes but some of the changes in cata are so bad that there has to be some fixes.

All the blame for every wipe is on healers now.

Dps too low, healer runs out of mana, healer blamed.
Tank overpulls, looks fine to start, healer runs out of mana, healer blamed.
Dps stands in fire, you can either let him die then wipe due to number 1 or keep him alive then wipe due to oom, healer blamed.

MY personal favorite
Healer levels, throughput gets cut so heavily that party now wipes, healer gets blamed.

All I can say is REALLY Blizzard?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
The "healing blog" isn't anything new, so why should we react to it? It's only re-iterating what they want healing to be - we're saying that their vision is a bad one.

You deserve a hug. Or a beer. Or a cookie.

I don't think GC/the Devs are "out to get healers" or even that we're "hated." I just think that the devs who played healers in Wrath got stupid bored and have taken the idea of being Anti-Wrath-Healing overboard. I can understand that. Being subject to RNG and feeling like I can't stop healing the tank for even a second lest he be turned into a puddle sucked. But I kind of feel like healers as a whole are black and blue from the nerfbat, and I don't have a lot of hope for Cat. Disc's throughput didn't really get fixed, Holy is now more complicated than ever (who knew that was possible?) and they took away Tree form. Holy Paladin and Resto Shaman looks like it might be fun, but Holy's AoE healing is wonky (OP yet UP at the same time!?!) and having to spam the efficient heal repeatedly just to get a tank back to full blows. I happened to like seeing big crit heal numbers. I liked healing, I don't necessarily care if I have to carry a few dumbdumbs through a fight. I like restoring health to my party members quickly and efficiently or at least being challenged to do so. I don't feel like I'm going to be able to do the former in Cat, and I feel as if the latter will be a fairly enormous challenge that won't even bring the glory of big crit heals.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
The big concern for priests comes mainly from a pvp perspective, atleast for me. They can tweak numbers all day and night to make us capable pve healers easily, the problem is in balancing the class to be viable in pvp. At the moment that is certainly not the case, and it's not a numbers issue, it's a mechanics one.

In wotlk priests niche was the offensive healer, with decent tanking capability with horrible mobility and more susceptible to lockouts due to hard casts. Now every healer is an offensive healer with offensive dispels. With the removal of trash buffs and the ability for more dispels priests are now the worst pvp healer by far, not even sort of bad, like really bad. Throw in still having horrible mobility and still having to hard cast most of thier heals and they are just a joke in comparison to the other healing classes. I'm not even going into mana issues since that is just a numbers game that can be easily fixed.

Priests need some big pvp changes to be viable. There has been alot of good suggestions thrown around all over the place, here..arenjunkies etc.. from priests far more capable then I. My concern is these seem to be falling on deaf ears since cata is only weeks away with no sweeping pvp concerns being addressed.

As it stands you will see active pvp healing priests rerolling or just not pvping untill the class is fixed. Unfortanately this may take awhile.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Druid
Healing on the beta server started to be super fun once I got used to the new mechanics. It's not so much different than what we're doing in 4.0.1, only we have to use our slower-cast heals more in Cata.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Priest
Is it too late to say "#@@% just got real?"
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Priest
I'm not worried about PvE at all, it'll be easy for Blizzard to balance it, and design fights around the new healing style.

PvP on the other hand... I'm gonna stick with my FPS games.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
The "healing blog" isn't anything new, so why should we react to it? It's only re-iterating what they want healing to be - we're saying that their vision is a bad one.

MY personal favorite
Healer levels, throughput gets cut so heavily that party now wipes, healer gets blamed.

All I can say is REALLY Blizzard?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]