Psychic FAQ for the next 4-6 months

100 Orc Warrior
Hello tank forums. This is a guest post, from Zarkstradamus. Yes, I'm a real psychic. Your keys are on the counter. No, not that one. The other one. Under the papers. You're welcome. Your girlfriend wishes you would play WoW a little less. You're going to get a C+ in that class.

On to the questions:

Q: What should I gem for?

A: If you're doing normal modes, match for most socket bonuses, and use mastery/stam when possible. If you're doing hard modes, you should just gem stam wherever possible.

Q: How much hit/expertise should I have?

The melee hit cap is at 961 hit rating, and expertise soft caps at 781 rating (unless you're a SoT using paladin). Vengeance makes it so you don't really have to worry about this too much, though.

Q: I keep dying on _________. What can I do?

A: Keep up attack speed slow debuff and attack power debuff. Take any survivability talents you may have omitted. If you're doing this, and still having problems, show us a log. We can't help you otherwise.

Q: I'm a warrior and I have problems with single target threat?

A: What's wrong with you? Oh my God, you don't have incite specced.

Q: Wait, what is that, it looks like a Zebra and an Ostritch. It's coming towards me awfully fast.

A: GOOD GOD MAN, RUN, RUN. GET TO YOUR TRAINER AND SPEC INCITE!

Q: Why is it that Tank X is so much better at this fight than Tank Y?

A: Tank X is probably not all that much better. But, in any case, the real answer is because tanks aren't balanced against each other. In theory, they're balanced against encounters. But that doesn't really happen all that much either. Emerald Dream will fix it.

Q: Hey, which trinket should I use?

A: Generally, your best practice is to not use avoidance trinkets. You should probably use at least one stam trinket. If you'd like to reduce your overall damage, a mastery trinket is probably your best option. There's one with an agility proc from a rep vendor, so try that.

Q: Which meta gem should I use?

A: If you're a druid or DK? 2% armor. If you're a paladin or a warrior? It gets tricky. The 5% block value one is currently only giving 1% block value. This won't be fixed until 4.1. So just use the 2% armor one until then.

Q: I'm having threat problems on the pull. Any ideas?

A: Have you told your DPS to stop being retarded monkeys? If that doesn't work, make sure you're opening with Tricks/MDs, using your threat cooldowns on the pull, and not missing any GCD's due to movement. If you're running at low levels of hit/expertise, try to pick up a weapon with some on it, or one with a threat enchant that you switch to your normal weapon after you have some vengeance.

Q: Hey, what's up with Vengeance? It's such a big part of my threat, but I have zero control over it.

A: Your vengeance is Cinnamon Surprise flavored.

Q: No, seriously. How did this get in game like this, did no one say anything about it?

A: Honestly, we're all a little sick of talking about it.

Q: NERF TANKS, WTF BLIZZ. Tanks do more DPS than me and just because they're getting hit. I'm A PURE DPS BLIZZ, I should do more DPS THAN THE TANK.

A: You're probably bad at this game. L2p.

Q: I don't get why DKs are so strong. They have the most health, the most armor, the most damage reduction from stance, the best mastery and great cooldowns. Why are they so good?

A: We don't know either. Oh, and some DK will say that they aren't that good on one fight that the tank never dies on anyways and claim it justifies everything.

Q: Wow. GG Blizz. I'm a longtime warrior tank and I just got REPLACED by a DK in my raid. WTF?

A: You probably weren't that good of a tank. Also, I doubt you got replaced because of class reasons. Probably because you're a little bit whiny, and you missed the last three raids.

Edit:
Q: Reforging, how does it work? What should I reforge?

A: This is a bit complicated. Generally speaking, the best items are those that give Avoidance/Mastery for the three plate tanks, and Crit/Mastery for Druids. If your piece has avoidance/avoidance, you should probably reforge to Mastery.

If you're a druid, you should always have either Crit or Haste + mastery. Reforge the second stat, either crit or haste to dodge.

Any more questions that I can answer?

Edited by Zarko on 11/19/2010 11:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Troll Warrior
Hi, I'm a Druid/DK. Should I be reforging my avoidance to Mastery?

(Yes, that is a serious question).
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
You tell us. ;p

It could have done without the DK bashing really so I give it a 9/10.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight

DK: yes.

Druid: what?
Reply Quote
100 Troll Warrior

DK: yes.

Druid: what?

Oh, good point. Replace avoidance with haste/crit.

Edit: I've assumed Druids are replacing Crit, but I haven't actually done any reforging on anyone but a few casters yet.
Edited by Sildas on 11/19/2010 11:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Q: Why wont GC address any of these very important issues with my class?

A: He feeds on your tears.
Reply Quote
17 Troll Warrior
You tell us. ;p

Unfortunately, those questions about DK's will pop up a lot once people start doing HM's. Blizz nerfed DK's after Uld because of an extremely similar situation so we're all pretty confused on why they have set up that situation again in Cataclysm.

Honestly, I just don't think Blizz is capable of balancing tanks. They always seem to have an outlier. They have had an entire expansion worth of bosses (about 57 encounters, iirc) to see how the classes play out in different types of encounters, but they keep making the same mistakes over and over.
Reply Quote
92 Tauren Warrior
Heh, I know I'll get a bit flamed for this...but zarko, I see an Ulduar situation again tbh (barring any last second nerfs). The hardmode damage is too extreme to not use a DK tank for progression (again!) will be the conclusion made by many raid leaders, so it may in fact not be the player's fault when those raid leaders decide that class>skill.

Even with the recent mastery nerfs, it's still the most powerful mastery just by virtue of being able to react instead of RNG. Moreover the cooldown situation is going to explode in Blizzard' face (again! Lol@trying to keep cooldown tanks as "flavor"). AMS on it's own is a gamebreaker when you have so much magic burst in so many hardmodes complementing ~50k melee hits, and one class has a frequent cooldown built in against it. Having plenty of other cooldowns (far more than other tanks) on short cooldowns (again, better than other tanks) would be enough to make them fairly OP against hardmodes...and then you just throw in the "best scaling" for stamina, armor, mitigation, etc...yeah.

I don't understand what's going on but I can see the obvious consequences, that involve a lot of tier 11 rerolls to DK, a 4.1 nerf followed by the WotLK rollercoaster ride DKs enjoyed being repeated.
Edited by Migol on 11/19/2010 11:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
92 Tauren Warrior
You tell us. ;p

Unfortunately, those questions about DK's will pop up a lot once people start doing HM's. Blizz nerfed DK's after Uld because of an extremely similar situation so we're all pretty confused on why they have set up that situation again in Cataclysm.

Honestly, I just don't think Blizz is capable of balancing tanks. They always seem to have an outlier. They have had an entire expansion worth of bosses (about 57 encounters, iirc) to see how the classes play out in different types of encounters, but they keep making the same mistakes over and over.

Holy crap Jathine, did we just agree with each other and post the same thing at the same time? Truly the cataclysm.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior

Yes.

For the Druid, you should prioritize Crit/Mastery leather. Failing that, try for Haste/Mastery. Failing that, cry in a corner.

If you already have mastery on your gear, you should reforge the second stat to dodge.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Warrior

Yes.

For the Druid, you should prioritize Crit/Mastery leather. Failing that, try for Haste/Mastery. Failing that, cry in a corner.

If you already have mastery on your gear, you should reforge the second stat to dodge.

Awesome, thanks!
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Meh

Any of the possible useful information was washed away in the satire and general fail tone of the post
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Death Knight
Only baddy mcscrubs will re-roll to DK's. Kinda like in Ulduar and a certain Dwarf Paladin who posts on these forums... Then quit it in 1-2 months because they just can't play the class properly, buffed or nerfed.

Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Hai, I'm a concerned long time listener, first time caller.

I'm wondering why they nerfed my health and didn't give me bearparry. I mean I can't block and I can't parry.

Also my dodge is only slightly higher than everyone else's dodge + parry but I haz diminishing returns and whatnot.

If I can't have bearshield along with bearparry then whats is gonna happen when I get sat for the level 82 paladin who has all these things? In 85 content that 82 paladin shouldn't be bettar then my sexy Durid.

Shuld I just sit in corner and innarvette?

Should I gem parry to get my parry up so I can have baerparry?

EDIT: I put in an edit before I edited the post, see I'm psychic too. I got chuck on my first crocolisk in the city daily. VUNDERBA!
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
While I did think it was fairly amusing, I'm not sure that you should really mix humor with the seriousness of parts of the "guide". It just struck me as a little off in some places.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight

I'm not saying you are wrong or right, just that it was not needed.

Any of the possible useful information was washed away in the satire and general fail tone of the post

Um... what? The whole post was intended as satire until the end.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
fail post.

better?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior

They NEED to have an outlier. For some reason they think outliers are flavour. The problems can be seen a mile away. The solutions... welp, the car's just gotta go off the cliff first.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
I'm not saying you are wrong or right, just that it was not needed.

The forum will be drenched in QQ posts about DKs if things go live as planned.

Most of them will not be warranted. Some DKs will insist that they are not overpowered.

It's not about DKs in particular. It's just the way of the world. You could replace "DK" with any other class. It's just about who's on top.

Um... what? The whole post was intended as satire until the end.

I actually didn't mean any of it as satire (well, except for the bit about Incite). It's what we're going to see. I guess I feel like the questions are really easy to anticipate. I wanted to get a head start on the discussion.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Great job, Zarko. Hope this gets stickied. It'll save a LOT of bad threads.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]