ze healing and ze hurting

90 Human Paladin
minor issue i've been having on my holy paladin. the talent "denouce" lowers the cost of exorcism to a truly trivial level, and since there's no cooldown this has made me feel encouraged to exorcism spam "when i have nothing better to do" the way a priest might smite spam.
however it's been giving me targeting issues, when i swap targets to a friendly, say, the tank, during my exorcism cast with the intent of following my exorcism with a nice healing holy shock, it ends up re-targeting the mob!
this doesn't seem to happen when i do similar things on my priest, smite spamming and then swapping mid cast for a penance or pws or something, nor does it happen on my druid when i swap mid wrath to drop a swiftmend.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Get healbot, clique/grid, or vudho (or however you spell it)

you don't need to target who you're healing to heal them with these add-ons.

Alternately, you can use mouseover macros with the default ui for the same effect.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
i could,but i don't much like the idea of having to bring in an addon to fix a problem, especially one that has a simpler solution of just sticking to healing. besides, the fact that it only seems to happen with this one particular spell leads me to believe it's an actual bug, perhaps not a showstopper, but a bug nonetheless
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Healing without addons is simply painful.

It really hurts me to see resto/holy/disc specced players getting outhealed by hunters using bandages. Healing is actually quite a simple task, especially in PvE. (Granted, it gets difficult in PvP, but that doesn't relate to the OP's problem)

GET CLIQUE and use the default raid frames (they are nearly as good as grid).

I hear healbot works well too, along with Vuhdo but I cannot verify that.

I choose to use a combination of mouseover macros and gird + clique.

Mouseover macros follow this general format:

#showtooltip *spell name*
/cast [target=mouseover] *spell name*

I find these very useful for classes that have a ton of spells, such as priests where it may be difficult to bind all of them to mouse click + shift/alt/ctrl variations.

TL;DR GET ADDONS TO HEAL.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Getting an add-on is optimal; however, not the only choice. Your playstyle is your choice, regardless of what other people say. Power to you.

So how do you fix it?

1) Mouseover macros

It allows you to target a hostile all the time, and mouse-over your party frames to heal. It's like Clique, but you use hot-keys. You can also add mouse-over to Exorcism and have the boss in a Focus frame.

Which brings us to...

2) Target=focus macro on Exorcism (see above, w/o the mouseover)

3) Target=target macro on Exorcism - Target a friendly while healing, and Exorcism will hit his target... as long as it is hostile. Of course there is problems if you have a CC'er targeted.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
minor issue i've been having on my holy paladin. the talent "denouce" lowers the cost of exorcism to a truly trivial level, and since there's no cooldown this has made me feel encouraged to exorcism spam "when i have nothing better to do" the way a priest might smite spam.
however it's been giving me targeting issues, when i swap targets to a friendly, say, the tank, during my exorcism cast with the intent of following my exorcism with a nice healing holy shock, it ends up re-targeting the mob!
this doesn't seem to happen when i do similar things on my priest, smite spamming and then swapping mid cast for a penance or pws or something, nor does it happen on my druid when i swap mid wrath to drop a swiftmend.

Hey, same thing happens to me but when I use the Assist Target regardless of what spell I'm using. It's definitely a bug. I don't use addons to heal either.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
i could,but i don't much like the idea of having to bring in an addon to fix a problem, especially one that has a simpler solution of just sticking to healing. besides, the fact that it only seems to happen with this one particular spell leads me to believe it's an actual bug, perhaps not a showstopper, but a bug nonetheless
Ahh, I'm sad this is a problem, but glad other people are having it. I thought it was something I was doing wrong. I love the addition of dpsing when no healing is needed. But the fact that I can prep a heal on my pally because my exorcism will re target the mob is very annoying.

And I do not like addons either. The only ones I really use are reports like recount and omen. I have tried heal-bot, but I hated it. And most of the macros I have are simply for fun, yelling "Kage Bunshin no Jutsu" when I cast mirror image on my mage.

This has to be a bug.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
I actually made a thread about this on the bug report forums a few days ago.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1020824272

Hopefully it gets fixed soon, because it's an annoying bug.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]