CoV

90 Dwarf Death Knight
So what is the forums view of the guild CoV? I love it and thought I'd get some views from others.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
If you are in the guild then doesn't that skew your opinion of it? I'm horde but from what most of trade says the only ally guild that matters is Ourobouros.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
If you are in the guild then doesn't that skew your opinion of it? I'm horde but from what most of trade says the only ally guild that matters is Ourobouros.

Trade chat isn't the most reliable source of information.

There are several other alliance guilds that are definitely worth talking about. Dream Team got Bane of the Fallen King. (Kudos to them on that, btw) I want to say there are a few others but I can't think of their names off the top of my head.

As far as CoV...don't really know anything about 'em. I only have one alliance toon and I'm not on her all that much lately. I would agree that being in a guild might skew your opinion of it. But neither does that make the guild worthless.
Reply Quote
1 Human Paladin
CoV is a casual guild at best....im sure there are great members but as far as progression goes...they are pretty much in line with the rest of the server..

Seeing as how there are only a few guilds Alliance side that have killed LK on 25...the only ones worth mentioning are Ouroboros, Dream Team, Exile, and Kaizen for the most part.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
CoV is a casual guild at best....im sure there are great members but as far as progression goes...they are pretty much in line with the rest of the server..

Seeing as how there are only a few guilds Alliance side that have killed LK on 25...the only ones worth mentioning are Ouroboros, Dream Team, Exile, and Kaizen for the most part.

Hater
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I hope that's not the only way to judge a guild's worth. Best times I ever had in-game were in guilds that progressed slowly. As for CoV, my only "view" was back leveling alts - someone from the guild would always be spamming the zone chat for recruitment. Didn't matter what zone I was in. It was either freakish coincidence or you guys were really organized. :)

Oh, and that Pist guy. I know, a member isn't indicative of a guild. But... yeah.

*Edited because capitalization is hard!
Edited by Adimaul on 11/19/2010 11:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Nothing wrong with casual. There are plenty of casual guilds with great people in them. Not everyone is able to commit to a raiding schedule due to work and other RL issues.

I've ran into plenty of good players from casual guilds, and a few bad ones from hardcore guilds. On here and other realms. The thing that grinds my gears the most, however, is probably when people from hardcore guilds with high end heroic gear go out of their way to be jerks to lesser geared people. I've been on the receiving end of crap like that when gearing up alts, and it's a big pet peeve for me.

Having good gear doesn't give you license to be a jerk.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
Lets make this a suris bidnis thread.

Casual=/=Bad

"Why are you only doing 1.5k dps?"

"Dude, I'm casual."
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Lets make this a suris bidnis thread.

Casual=/=Bad

"Why are you only doing 1.5k dps?"

"Dude, I'm casual."

This, this and a thousand times this.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue

Trade chat isn't the most reliable source of information.

As I don't have an ally toon it's the most reliable source of information about ally raiding I have.

Also I don't think anyone said that casual was bad. But when you are talking about a guild there are (at least) two factors you need to consider: Progression, where hard core guilds will shine, and Guild members attitudes (for lack of a better term) where casual and social guilds will shine.

I will say I feel kinda bad for casual guilds as much of the time they won't get to experience the end game raiding of an xpac (Illidan in tbc, Lich King in WotLK, and Deathwing whenever we do get to fight him in cata) untill it is long since outgear'd/out level'd. I know many people who have never done Illidan to this day. Thankfully cata has more then just a few zones at the last 5-10 levels of new content to explore and enjoy.

I'll also so it's pretty funny that two people from two of the guilds that are atleast top 5 in progression horde side are talking about the pros and cons of casual guilds vs hard core raiding guilds. :p
Edited by Larange on 11/19/2010 3:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
I never said Casual was a bad thing, because it most def isn't, but when people use it as an excuse to not have knowledge of something..... That's just silly.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
I don't know anyone who has used "I'm a casual" as an excuse for anything. I used to really enjoy casual guilds till I got tired of never getting past Rotface and wanted to see more of the content that the developers worked so hard to make us.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
I think you and I are speaking on 2 different levels right now.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
I honestly can't think of CoV as a casual guild anymore. I'd say more social, but we do have several weekly raids including 2 ICC progtression teams who are both on the LK. Now I can't say that we are "hardcore" about endgame progression, but I do know that several people in the guild pull exceptional dps in ICC and are fully capable of completing it (myself included). But we treat this game as fun. Sitting for hours wiping against a single boss is not fun, so if that occurs, we pick another raid and enjoy the game. I'm not saying that "hardcore" guilds can't be fun, but if one tried to recruit me, I'd turn them down. It's all about personal preferance. Some enjoy treating a game as fun, while other like constantly striving to rise to the challenges of heroic modes and such. There is no wrong ways to look at the game.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
Oh, and grats to Ouroboros on the realm 1st 25 heroic ICC.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
I think people understand casual as a gear level, not a state of mind. As a casual player, you can choose to hit random buttons, or learn more about your class, find out what works best in various aspects of the game, and find out what works best for your style of play(which better now be mouse clicking or keyboard turning >:( ). You don't have to be a hardcore player to get in depth with your class, and the class ends up being a lot more fun once you have a better understanding of it, anyway.

Back to the original topic, I haven't been on the server for very long, but from what I've seen from people in CoV, it's a good group of folks.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
I think people understand casual as a gear level, not a state of mind. As a casual player, you can choose to hit random buttons, or learn more about your class, find out what works best in various aspects of the game, and find out what works best for your style of play(which better now be mouse clicking or keyboard turning >:( ). You don't have to be a hardcore player to get in depth with your class, and the class ends up being a lot more fun once you have a better understanding of it, anyway.

Back to the original topic, I haven't been on the server for very long, but from what I've seen from people in CoV, it's a good group of folks.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
Ouro doesnt consider itself a hardcore raiding guild, we're borderline casual. 12 hours a week is hardly worth calling a "hardcore" raiding guild.
Edited by Phoènix on 11/21/2010 1:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
Ouro doesnt consider itself a hardcore raiding guild, we're borderline casual. 12 hours a week is hardly worth calling a "hardcore" raiding guild.

Impressive! I love guilds like yours. Make great progression while at the same time, not taking that progression too seriously. Nice job. Oh, and SUPER grats on your realm first!

Now a question, I absolutely must know the origin of your guild name!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
An ouroboros is an ancient symbol showing a serpent eating it's own tail. Represents the cyclical nature of life, the world, universe etc.

As far as the whole hardcore/casual thing, I agree that a somewhat casual player can still do a decent job researching their class. However I have to disagree that hardcore/casual isn't a state of mind. I know people like to try and define hardcore as those world first guys that take a week off work (or have no jobs, which is bs but whatever) every time a new patch comes out to grind the new raid content asap. While the top level hardcore guilds definitely do these kinds of things, it's the state of mind or attitude of their players that drives these actions, the actions don't just exist in a vacuum.

I think another big mistake is people try to define it as a binary system. You are either hardcore, or casual, when really things like this are never that simple because there is a whole lot of gray area. Like Ouroboros, Phase Two only raids 12 hours a week, if there were a scale of 1-10 on hardcore vs. casual I'd probably put us at a 6-7 at most. However there are definitely individual players in our guild that I would rate a lot higher or lower than that average.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]