From Rogue to Feral

85 Night Elf Rogue
So for those who pvp by now it's known that rogues are getting gimped. Ive been debating on rolling a feral druid for a while. I know cats have similarities to sub rogues right about now sooo my question is for those who play feral would you prefer to stay feral or wish you would have rolled a rogue. If so, why? More survivability, no DR on stuns -_- no nerfs to your healing -_- less dependent on CDs?

Just looking for feedback
Thanks,
V
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I know this doesn't answer your question at all, but whatever.

Choosing a class based it being overpowered is one of the dumbest mistakes you can make in the game. Doing so right before a major expansion that's going to screw with class balancing is even worse. Pick your class based on whether you like the mechanics of the class instead.

I haven't even moved my 60 rogue over from Tichondrius if that says anything - but you are kind of asking the rogue/druid question in a biased forum.

I'm considering biting the bullet and making a cow paladin when cata hits, and am already working my DK up a bit more. I don't like not knowing the strengths and weaknesses of the other two tanks I don't play.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
How are rogues getting gimped? just wondering.

I'll always be a feral. Always be a druid, It's like 2.5 characters in one feral spec! (bear cat caster). I don't think being a druid can get boring, you have so many options. I did debate between rogue and druid when I started this character though. Decided to go for the utility, as I play a lot by myself.

On a side note, last night i was destroyed by a rogue. This rogue proved to me most rogues are "bad" (not in a mean way), because I nom nom nom them. But this guy was truly amazing. I had no trink left but this guy was controlling me 100%, even if I did. He was just quicker and smarter then I. He did things when he was suppose to, as opposed to other rogues who do things in a different order that open themselves up for trouble.

It's amazing how you come across one player who basically can define what a class should be played like, makes you realize that really most people don't know their class (not a bad thing, you can just get away with different levels of skill in this game)

Anyways, off topic I guess.

Survivability, yes. But that means you are going to take a beating more, so I don't know if that's the type of play style you want to take up. You are probably use to controlling the situation a bit more.

I'm still learning but I'm pretty sure we still have DR on stuff.

Healing is cool and all but I'm sure that will change once we level up.

We might be more dependent on our fewer cds, if that makes sense.

I am not as experienced as most players here so hopefully someone else can chime in, this is just stuff I've noticed.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
I play a number of raiding 80s, but PvP, I've settled on my feral....

Having said that, 1v1 things are rarely balanced. I can tell you my kill:death ration is decent, but I've been killed by all other classes even under the best of circumstances. Most of the time, I kill my target. Admittedly, I'd say my toughest are healers (obviously) but I wear them down... not good in world PvP though. After that, Mages are rediculous right now, but we'll see at 85. Warlocks and Arms Warriors present some difficulty, and the occasional Paladin too.

For the most part, classes that cannot heal are good targets. Get to 5CPs and get rip ticking, and chances are good you'll kill your target. Ferals are similar to rogues in the aspect that they have to get the opener. Once a cat has you targeted, you have to avoid getting a 5CP rip on you, or the game is up.

I wouldn't suggest a reroll for anyone. Play the class you're most comfortable with - again, skill is still more of a factor in my experience. For me, PvP means feral.
Reply Quote
I have a 2200 Rogue as well as this Feral... the one difference I noticed when I started PvP'ing with my Rogue is that I felt like I had infinite energy; Rogues have a BUNCH of means for returning energy outside of the normal energy-ticks, but Ferals basically have Tiger's Fury and that's it. Going from Rogue->Feral, you will feel energy-starved A LOT... and when you start playing your Feral you will be energy-starved at key times.

It's funny, but a lot of people think Feral damage is tricky but manageable, but in PvP, the role is compounded. In PvE, you can basically learn the priority system and perform it perfectly and there is little you can do to make it stronger, in PvP, you often find yourself NOT using energy when you can and instead saving up for dumps. It's a really odd feeling doing that when as a Rogue you can basically mash Muti, always have energy for Kick, always have energy for your free-energy Kidney Shot, always ... well you get the idea.

Feral is a LOT of fun, but it's tricky to play well... and you need your teammates to understand HOW Feral damage is most setting up your bleeds, then getting energy-dumps for big burst. This is one of the reasons why Kittycleave actually worked; the warrior would set up with his unhealable damage while you got your bleeds up... you land a brostorm while you do your energy-dump and nothing without an escape mechanic (blink, block, bubble, PS, etc) can live through it... the burst is insane. However, if you play with someone who doesn't understand the save-n-dump-burst playstyle that Feral had, it would not work.

TL;DR: Feral is fun, but you'll feel energy-starved as compared to your rogue; learn to dump.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid

Choosing a class based it being overpowered is one of the dumbest mistakes you can make in the game. Doing so right before a major expansion that's going to screw with class balancing is even worse. Pick your class based on whether you like the mechanics of the class instead.

Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
To the second poster, I am in no way looking to be the next OP class if that were the case I would have been a caster class a long time ago. Ive played mutilate when it had position requirements and without prep.. Anyhow I was looking at the correlation, similarities differences of rogue/feral. I only have 1 toon, this is it. Some people answered the question I had so thanks! I was looking for another class to try and play since the leveling experience is going to be new.

For those who play feral and have a rogue, is Feral slower than a rogue and is it alot of passive damage?

Reply Quote
To the second poster, I am in no way looking to be the next OP class if that were the case I would have been a caster class a long time ago. Ive played mutilate when it had position requirements and without prep.. Anyhow I was looking at the correlation, similarities differences of rogue/feral. I only have 1 toon, this is it. Some people answered the question I had so thanks! I was looking for another class to try and play since the leveling experience is going to be new.

For those who play feral and have a rogue, is Feral slower than a rogue and is it alot of passive damage?

Wat?

Rogues are mainly passive damage (or at least, have been in Wrath) while Ferals are mainly Rip, Rake, and Shred damage... that is, all applied by the player. In Cataclysm, we will have the addition of Fury Swipes which will act as supplemental damage which is auto-applied for us (as well as our white swings being rather stronger from SR), but a majority of our damage will continue to come from active sources:

Rip, Rake, and Shred (usually in that order from big>small).

Actually, White damage with SR up is going to be a LOT stronger than it was in Wrath, and while Fury Swipes doesn't take advantage of it, it is by no means a small source of damage any longer. Again, you'll need to learn to ramp up with Rip and Rake, save energy, and dump your burst. The jury is still out on whether it is a more effective use of TF to save it for Rip/Rakes or use it whenever you need energy (in PvP). The problem I have with TF'ing for Rips is that a LOT of your extra energy goes to wasted combo points, where you could drop a 5pt Rip, then Shred once or twice to get dump energy AND build combo points, then bust TF for big time burst (maybe FB).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
@ the OP.

I can say fairly confidently that feral is vastly different than a sub rogue. They both use energy and combo points, but thats about where the similarities end. Feral is highly dependent on bleed damage and self healing. Rogues (I am speaking off general knowledge here, as I do not play a high level rogue), are more about cc and burst damage.

Also, as a pvp feral, you will not be in cat form all the time. There may be situations that will require you to shift bear, or caster form to cyclone, root, or heal.

ultimately, they are vastly different with a few mild similarities.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
I actually play both sub and feral. They have some similarities (hence why I was drawn to sub, the feral is my main). Directional Cp builder, bleed dmg centric, a gap closer. Personally, I feel the rogue is easier to play, way more control. An experienced rogue will control the crap out of an opponent. However, I feel soooo much squisher playing my rogue, and it seems like if I make one misstep its more difficult to recover.

Currently, feral's dmg is waaaay higher than sub's dmg, but I wouldn't pick or choose based on that because that will change.

Also, Shadowstep >>>>>> Feral charge. It's an awesome ability. I literally find excuses to use it all the time, whether I'm doing dailies, or walking around Dal and see a squirrel.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]