What spec should a new player level up as?

85 Troll Shaman
Hello druid friends, I have talked my friend into playing this game. He is interested in playing a druid. I am not an expert on how to play a druid, by any means. Thus, I come to the druid forums for some friendly advice. My friend is intelligent but this will be his first MMORPG (the only games he has played before in the past are games like Dance Dance Revolution, Guitar Hero, and basically any game made in between the 80's, to late 90's.) He's not a gamer by any means necessary.

He asked me what spec he should be playing as he's leveling, and I'm completely clueless as to what I should tell him. I'd hate to give him the wrong advice. I explained to him the druid abilities, and what each spec does at end game, and he was very interested in playing a druid. He liked the ability to switch between every role. He's more-so interested in playing as a feral-tank or feral-dps on the way up to 80.

I will not be leveling with him, as he wants to experience the game 1-80 by himself, without a veteran (if I can call myself that) catering to all his needs. I want to at least help him start out. I would like to give him an idea of how to spec up to 80, and what spec out of the two: feral tank or feral dps would be best for him. Remember, he has never played an MMORPG before, and thus he MIGHT not be very good. I don't know how well he'd do as a tank, but I figured instant queues might be a good thing for him.

So druid friends, what would you suggest to YOUR friend if he was interested in starting up his first MMORPG as a druid? Feral DPS or Feral tank? With that said, what would be a good leveling spec for either of those? Please give me your true opinion, I hope that I am not teased or what have you. I'd really appreciate your help, and so would my friend!

Thanks! <3
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
I know this post is probably still on the first page, and in no dire need of a bump. But I thought I should let everybody know that I will be going to sleep, and I'd appreciate it if somebody could leave some advice for me in this discussion. I will be checking it either in the morning or after I get off work. I hope this double posting thing is not against the rules, and if it is, I'm truly sorry that I broke your rules. I didn't see anything saying this was illegal, but perhaps I read over it or something, so again, if it is, I'm sorry for breaking the rules if it was illegal. Thanks again blizzard / druid friends. I'll check back on this post later! Bookmarked.

Thanks!<3
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Hi Runea :)

Feral is a great way to level - it's fast and has very little downtime. And fun! If your friend wants to learn how to play feral dps and tank along the way to 80, then it's a great way to go. I play resto most of the time, but I always level feral.

He could queue for dungeons as DPS and tank (although he's much more likely to get in as tank, and he'll get faster queues) to get a taste of both. Otherwise, feral is great for soloing, too.

Levelling up, most of the feral gear won't be specifically for cat or bear, it will be shared by both, so he won't have to worry too much about gearing one way or the other.

Lissanna's levelling guide goes through gear and spec info: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/969937119

Hope this helps :)

Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Hi Runea :)

Feral is a great way to level - it's fast and has very little downtime. And fun! If your friend wants to learn how to play feral dps and tank along the way to 80, then it's a great way to go. I play resto most of the time, but I always level feral.

He could queue for dungeons as DPS and tank (although he's much more likely to get in as tank, and he'll get faster queues) to get a taste of both. Otherwise, feral is great for soloing, too.

Levelling up, most of the feral gear won't be specifically for cat or bear, it will be shared by both, so he won't have to worry too much about gearing one way or the other.

Lissanna's levelling guide goes through gear and spec info: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/969937119

Hope this helps :)

Unfortunately I haven't been able to fall asleep yet, and I decided to check my post, and LOW and BEHOLD, here is an excellent response! I appreciate the quick, and mature response VERY much. I will give this information to my friend. Thanks soooo much! <333
At other potential posters, feel free to post your tips and/or advice as well. The more the merrier, as I always say! [: Now I really need to get some sleep, I have work in a few hours, the bills don't pay themselves. Grr, construction!
Reply Quote
10 Undead Warlock
I'd suggest anyone starting out learn to use keybindings from the get go. If your friend decides to stick with the game it'll be much easier on him than if he waits and tries to pick it up down the road.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
Feral..Definitely feral.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I've leveled 3 different druids, with all 3 different specs..... lol yes I know.

I must say feral was the easiest leveling by far.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
My approach to starting any new character is to get a feel for the different specs and find out what fits your own playstyle the best. With the introduction of dual specs, this is easier than ever. I leveled this character resto from the get-go (I found myself enjoying the shapeshifting aspects it required to succeed while questing, the ability to find groups faster, and the ability to aid my comrades in PvP). Not a typical choice by any means, but it was fun and I never had to worry about dying and taking a corpse run.

For a new-comer to the game, I would reccommend he start out as FERAL. It's considered the faster of the leveling specs, with little down time. It's also quite fun in both PvE and PvP.

Best of luck to your new friend and I hope he enjoys his druid :)
Edited by Skinwalkêr on 11/19/2010 7:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Druid
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/969937119
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Checking this from my cellphone. Thanks to both of you!
Reply Quote
72 Tauren Druid
I suggest for your friend, feral, without a doubt.

While you're questing in cat form, you're destroying everything in your way. Very few times will you come to the need of healing yourself, which you have the tools to do so with great heals. And theres nothing better than rounding up a bunch of mobs and go bear form and solo them without a scratch or to solo elites other classes couldnt, as bear.

Also, in pvp, ferals are great! It feels great prowling around your enemy. It almost seems as you're stalking your prey, studying it, waiting for the right moment to attack. Then BAM. Bleed them to death and there goes your enemy.

Hopefully these words helped out you and your friend!
Reply Quote
70 Undead Death Knight

It feels great prowling around your enemy. It almost seems as you're stalking your prey, studying it, waiting for the right moment to attack. Then BAM. Bleed them to death and there goes your enemy.

I always loved playing feral on my druid myself. When they sent me to hunt shoveltusks in northrend is the most fun I've ever had in cat form, narrating kills national geographic style adds a ton to your play experience.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]