Refunded Talents Come 4.03a

90 Night Elf Priest

Good morning everyone!

I saw on another threat that priests are getting their talent points refunded, and I was just wondering if anyone knows if shadow is getting hit by buffs/nerfs? I saw that holy was getting some buffs in terms of baseline healing power for some spells, but I haven't been able to find anything substantial about shadow.

Thanks guys,

Ostie
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Theyre changing a few things with shadow orbs and mastery. Other thanthat not really. They need to fix more for cata IMO.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Theyre changing a few things with shadow orbs and mastery. Other thanthat not really. They need to fix more for cata IMO.

Ahh ok I see. I'm happy they're fixing mastery, it really is kind of a broken talent for priests. I just hope shadow in Cata endgame is viable.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Err wait, nevermind, doesn't seemed to be released yet, maybe till cataclysm... :(
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
They are refunding all healing classes their talents.

I found this curious as well, as they have historically been very stingy regarding talent refunds. Boosting baseline cast heals by 20% is not going to merit a full talent reset by any stretch, so I'm curious as to what's going on. I hear no news from the PTR.
Reply Quote
5 Undead Priest
/agree Valetudo. I haven't seen anything coming down the pipe that would warrant a refund, and greater changes have been implemented before without one. Interesting...
Reply Quote
84 Undead Priest
Look at the priest talent trees on Wowhead. Does something look different to you?

Hint: It's in the Holy tree.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Mage
Yeah I guess removing a talent completely and adding a brand new one and swapping tiers on a couple would warrant a refund. Hadn't seen that change before.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Priest
I'm guessing these are just implementing changes from the beta, but we can always hope for more. Perhaps Blizzard has internal builds that we don't know about that they will release with this patch.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
the reason for the talent refunds is due to a re-design of the holy tree (has been on beta for quite some time, never made it to live yet though), not due to random buffs/nerfs.

as far as actual changes for shadow in that patch go:
- complete mastery overhaul (no more solid dmg increase on blast/spike with orbs, buff to dot damage after using an orb and a very mediocre increase to blast/spike instead)
- ve nerfed even harder (6%/3%)

i think that was about it...not sure, i've done my best to avoid still playing my priest on beta since they all but removed VE.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
If the beta changes to shadow are implemented then the current:
Shadow Orbs
You have a 10% chance for your Shadow Word: Pain and Mind Flay spells to grant you a Shadow Orb each time they deal damage. Each Shadow Orb increases the damage done by your Mind Blast and Mind Spike spells by 34%. Each point of Mastery increases damage by an additional 4.3%. You can have up to a maximum of 3 orbs.

will become:
Shadow Orbs
You have a 10% chance for your Shadow Word: Pain and Mind Flay spells to grant you a Shadow Orb each time they deal damage. Casting your Mind Blast or Mind Spike spell consumes all Shadow Orbs, increasing damage of that spell by 0% per Shadow Orb, and granting 0% increased damage on your periodic Shadow spells for 15 sec. You can have up to a maximum of 3 orbs.

and:
Mastery: Shadow Orb Power
Increases the damage done by your Shadow Orbs. Each point of Mastery increases damage by an additional 1.3%.

so yeah, shadow's mastery fix'd.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
fixed is a rather loaded term in that case.

given, its significantly better than the old one in a pve environment - but its so ridiculously clunky and rng-dependent that you can very well still end up with mastery not being worth even a 5th of crit/haste in a given encounter simply because you don't get any orb procs. (my personal record for "unlucky rng streak while turreting a boss" in beta atm is at well over 2 minutes...)

and yet, it could be so easily fixed...either by simply making the dot bonus a passive effect (removing the rng for that part entirely) or by merging harnessed shadows with masochism, resulting in sw:d backlash giving you a shadow orb, in turn guaranteeing that if you do get unlucky on the rng-proc, you can still force an orb via sw:d, in order to get the dot bonus up again in time when you have to refresh your dots.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
So now shadow priests are once again going to lose dps? Im never the highest on damage or dps but shadow is still outgunned by all the other spellcasters in the same/similar gear tier. For example my Shammy is slightly less geared then my priest but does about 1-3k more dps. mages can pull ridiculous amounts of dps and damage over shadow most of the time.

So with this "fix coming along are we going to see us doing less once again.
and Schnorki VE is already 6%/3% on the armory page but if it gets lowred any more it becomes a useless tallent imo.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
I just dont understand how people are not getting orb procs. I proc like crazy. I typically cast MB off every CD due to the stack of orbs i have (2+).
Edited by Kiry on 11/22/2010 1:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I just dont understand how people are not getting orb procs. I proc like crazy. I typically cast MB off every CD due to the stack of orbs i have (2+).

based on current healing at L80, or the new end game L85 situations?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest

based on current healing at L80, or the new end game L85 situations?

What?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I don't understand. Why are the refunding all talent points, if only mastery is changing?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
So they are buffing holy and nerfing shadow?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
So they are buffing holy and nerfing shadow?

They're buffing holy, they're sorta buffing shadow (mastery is much better, VE is getting nerfed).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]