Troll Druids

80 Night Elf Priest
I've been playing on the PTR, and if you do the new troll starting experience then you can talk to Zen'tabra and she gives you a "history" lesson on Troll druids.

This is what I've gathered...

Shortly after Zalazane took over and weakened the ties to the Darkspear Loa, Zen'tabra and a small group of other Darkspear broke away from Vol'jin during the retreat. The secluded themselves in a cave near the center of the Echo Isles. Zen'tabra had a vision from the raptor loa, Gonk. In a nutshell, Gonk used the Emerald Dream's magic to get past Zalazane's magic and talk to Zen'tabra. He then showed Zen'tebra how to access the Emerald Dream, and Zen'tebra taught the others. Gonk then also convinced the other loa to support the Darkspear with this (as it turns out, the loa don't get along with each other).

As it stands right now, a troll loa taught a troll how to connect to the Emerald Dream. She then taught others, and over the years this sparked the larger number of troll druids we're seeing, along with them coming out of hiding. Zen'tabra also goes to make a point about contacting the Cenarian Circle. It turns out the Night Elves aren't exactly thrilled about this.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm sorry, but I can't get over the name of that loa. Gonk sounds like the name of a children's fizzy drink =P

Seriously though, it kind of makes sense. Personally I'm just surprised they didn't explain troll druids by the fact trolls have been able to shapeshift using their loas for ages, but this is a suitable enough explanation.

Also: interesting about the Night Elves not liking the idea of the trolls joining the Cenarion Circle. I suppose there is the whole racial hatred, but you'd think the druids or the Circle would be the most understanding to a new group of druids.

Also, slightly off-topic, but is there any explanation for the sudden appearance of troll warlocks? Not that there has to be, but I'm wondering if there's a similar backstory for them.
Edited by Killchrono on 11/19/2010 8:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Priest
Also, slightly off-topic, but is there any explanation for the sudden appearance of troll warlocks? Not that there has to be, but I'm wondering if there's a similar backstory for them.

The Troll Warlock trainer in Orgrimmar has some interesting dialogue, but the way she talks is as if they just always existed (which I'm pretty sure is the lore explanation).

As for the Night Elves; I think it might have to do with a tradition thing. Night Elves started from Cenarius, and then taught the Tauren based on his teachings. The Trolls seemed to have figured it out with their own religious beings. It could be a "Our way is the only right way" sort of deal. I tend to believe that after reading some of the Night Elf posts when Worgen were first released :P.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin

The Troll Warlock trainer in Orgrimmar has some interesting dialogue, but the way she talks is as if they just always existed (which I'm pretty sure is the lore explanation).

I figured it might be this. It made sense they get warlocks, trolls have been dabling in hexes and curses for millenia. The only thing that doesn't make sense is the sudden ability to summon demons and wield fel magic specifically, but I suppose there's always been that shady side to troll society, even amongst the Darkspears.

As for the Night Elves; I think it might have to do with a tradition thing. Night Elves started from Cenarius, and then taught the Tauren based on his teachings. The Trolls seemed to have figured it out with their own religious beings. It could be a "Our way is the only right way" sort of deal. I tend to believe that after reading some of the Night Elf posts when Worgen were first released :P.

That would be interesting to see. Out of interest, do troll druids get a teleport to Moonglade like Night Elves and Tauren, or do they just learn everything from their class trainers now?
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Priest

That would be interesting to see. Out of interest, do troll druids get a teleport to Moonglade like Night Elves and Tauren, or do they just learn everything from their class trainers now?

I haven't gotten mine a high enough level to check yet. I would assume yes. Based on what Zen'tabra says they do get accepted, the Night Elves are just very shaky about it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Well, all things point to Hex Lord Malacrass and Jindo the Hexxer point to them being Warlocks, although Jindo might be more of a Necromancer as well.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Hex_Lord_Malacrass
http://www.wowpedia.org/Jin%27do_the_Hexxer
Edited by Verus on 11/19/2010 9:56 AM PST
Reply Quote

Well if I remember right, warlocks are mages who dabbled with Fel energy and got seduced by demonic power. Trolls have been able to be mages forever right? So it makes sense that some of them would have dabbled in warlock...ery?
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Priest
Confirmed, Troll druids get teleport: Moonglade.
Reply Quote
63 Tauren Hunter
Do trolls have any belief or even reverance for Elune? I was wondering if it shows anywhere at all during their starting zone questing dialogue.
Tauren may call her by another name but Elune is still Elune is Mu'sha and revered by Tauren Druids, as the Mother of Cenarius.
Much of Druidic magic traces its roots to Mu'sha/Elune. As such I have become curious about this.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior

Pretty much. I think it's just a pride thing:

Night Elf: Through thousands of years of practice, meditation, and discipline the Night Elves have entered a sacred and immensely powerful commune with nature that allows us to-

Troll: Hey! 'Sup guys? Isn't this druid stuff great?

Night Elf: How...

Troll: Some velociraptor ghost taught us druidism in like, four years.

Night Elf: ...I don't...

Troll: Cool, look at this! *Moonfire* Ha ha I'm shooting with the moon!

Night Elf: STOP IT YOU AREN'T DOING IT RIGHT!

Troll: Looks right to me. *Starfire*

Night Elf: NO YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG GET OUT OF HERE!

Although to be fair, the Trolls have a history of Loa worship that predates the Night Elves' history of druidism, and the high priests of the Loa have always been able to assume the form of their patrons with their blessings. The only new stuff is actually working through the Emerald Dream instead of just their Loa spirits, assuming the forms of other Loas, and the various life-based druid spells.

Edited by Odok on 11/19/2010 10:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Priest
Do trolls have any belief or even reverance for Elune? I was wondering if it shows anywhere at all during their starting zone questing dialogue.
Tauren may call her by another name but Elune is still Elune is Mu'sha and revered by Tauren Druids, as the Mother of Cenarius.
Much of Druidic magic traces its roots to Mu'sha/Elune. As such I have become curious about this.

Not at all. Their only religious beliefs are with the loa. Their druidic powers come from the help of raptor loa that represents "the great hunt." This loa taught them how to use the Emerald Dream the same way (or in a similar fashion) as the Night Elves for their druidic magic.

There's really no Elune reference at all. zen'tabra even goes on to say she thinks Gonk did it partially just to piss off the other loa. Apperently the loa like to be worshiped separately and Gonk told them to all work together. The loa actually seem pretty cynical towards each other.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Not at all. Their only religious beliefs are with the loa. Their druidic powers come from the help of raptor loa that represents "the great hunt." This loa taught them how to use the Emerald Dream the same way (or in a similar fashion) as the Night Elves for their druidic magic.

There's really no Elune reference at all. zen'tabra even goes on to say she thinks Gonk did it partially just to piss off the other loa. Apperently the loa like to be worshiped separately and Gonk told them to all work together. The loa actually seem pretty cynical towards each other.

This becomes pretty evident if you do the Zul Drak quests given to you by the Zandalar.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid

Wait. "The great hunt?" That sounds suspiciously similar to Tauren mythology concerning Malorne and another great hunt.... one that resulted in Cenarius. I don't believe that Ancients and Loa are the same thing.... but perhaps Malorne being "killed" allowed him to pose or appear as a Loa. We also know that Malorne has a connection to the Emerald Dream. Perhaps after things have calmed down a bit and he and Cenarius have a chance to talk with the druids at large, they'll have some interesting information for us?

Well if I remember right, warlocks are mages who dabbled with Fel energy and got seduced by demonic power. Trolls have been able to be mages forever right? So it makes sense that some of them would have dabbled in warlock...ery?

Eh, I don't know much about more recent Warlock lore, but I can tell you that the first Warlocks were actually Orcs of the Shamanic traditions that found the Elements abandoning them on Draenor when they began working with the Legion against the Draenei. This is why I've always wondered why this whole mage/warlock rivalry actually isn't a shaman/warlock rivalry. Anyway, yeah, so first warlocks were former shamans. As for troll warlocks, gnome warlocks, blood elf warlocks, I have no idea.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Eh, I don't know much about more recent Warlock lore, but I can tell you that the first Warlocks were actually Orcs of the Shamanic traditions that found the Elements abandoning them on Draenor when they began working with the Legion against the Draenei. This is why I've always wondered why this whole mage/warlock rivalry actually isn't a shaman/warlock rivalry. Anyway, yeah, so first warlocks were former shamans. As for troll warlocks, gnome warlocks, blood elf warlocks, I have no idea.

Horde-side yes, Warlocks were former Shaman. Alliance-side, they were mages, and actually, the very first Warlocks in the history of WoW ever were actually the Eredar - who were mages before that.
Edited by Verus on 11/19/2010 10:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Priest
[quote]Wait. "The great hunt?" That sounds suspiciously similar to Tauren mythology concerning Malorne and another great hunt.... one that resulted in Cenarius. I don't believe that Ancients and Loa are the same thing.... but perhaps Malorne being "killed" allowed him to pose or appear as a Loa. We also know that Malorne has a connection to the Emerald Dream. Perhaps after things have calmed down a bit and he and Cenarius have a chance to talk with the druids at large, they'll have some interesting information for us?.

I'm really skeptical. The way they describe this loa is nothing like Malorne (as far as I'm aware). Plus he's a raptor.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Priest
I foresee Druidism splitting in Cata. The Tauren are already pulling away and embracing An'she and Trolls aren't even bothering to learn Night Elve's monopolized form. Horde Druids aren't like Alliance Druids anymore.

Which I think is awesome beyond belief.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Um... if anything... the Cenarion Circle and the Earthen Ring are further uniting as opposed to splitting due to factional conflict... you got Dwarves and Draenei who straight up joined the ER out of nowhere and same with trolls joining the CC.
Reply Quote
63 Tauren Hunter
Um... if anything... the Cenarion Circle and the Earthen Ring are further uniting as opposed to splitting due to factional conflict... you got Dwarves and Draenei who straight up joined the ER out of nowhere and same with trolls joining the CC.

I said Druidism is splitting, not the Cenarion Circle.

This would be... tricky to pull off, without looking contrived, especially for Taurens.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]