Warlock DPS in Cata: Bravo!

85 Blood Elf Warlock
Affliction should not have to cast soul fire to be competitive. It's retarded. Move that talent further down the destro tree and buff affliction and demo in some other way to make up for it.
Reply Quote
74 Draenei Mage
Affliction should not have to cast soul fire to be competitive. It's retarded. Move that talent further down the destro tree and buff affliction and demo in some other way to make up for it.

It is stupid but affliction has been dumbed down so much its the only thing making it interesting in PVE.... hell, it would be nice if we could get immolate back into the rotation.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Heroics don't matter. These numbers are for raid boss fights (the only content in the game which actually matters)

Dot specs are always going to be hosed in short fights, its always been that way.

heroics matter, they are what the majority of the player base spend their time doing
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
On the day you find me 24 raiders who stop dying to stupid mistakes, I'll start giving a hoot about which class/spec does more DPS.

So Bliz should'nt have to care about class balance because it does not matter until the day human error ceases to exist.... ?
Edited by Thanatosia on 11/20/2010 11:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
On the day you find me 24 raiders who stop dying to stupid mistakes, I'll start giving a hoot about which class/spec does more DPS.

So Bliz should'nt have to care about class balance until the day human error ceases to exist.... hrmm, I always figured you were smarter then that Bibdy.

Cute, but the point stands. This @#!%'s been going on for 6 years and its gotten old. Some players will continue to come up with excuses for why their DPS is lower because their stand-still-spamming damage turns out to be off by 1-2% relative to someone else's stand-still-spamming damage, while there's the people I want to play with that make great use of their ability to deal damage while moving, find the right spots to drop some quick AOE spell, blow their cooldowns at the right moment, all of which depends entirely on the boss-fight itself and their own skill, than whatever their stand-still-spamming DPS is.

I'm convinced the majority of people that care about their raw stand-still DPS are people that do content that's so easy its the only thing to pay attention to and the only way in which to measure their worth. I'd much rather people spent more time worrying about how long they can live. When they can do that, and we end up missing enrage timers, THEN we'll talk about DPS.
Edited by Bibdy on 11/20/2010 12:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock

It is stupid but affliction has been dumbed down so much its the only thing making it interesting in PVE.... hell, it would be nice if we could get immolate back into the rotation.

I completely agree.

I've been begging for immolate back pretty much since it was gone. Afflocks were really dull. And instead of Giving us Immolate back, we get Soul fire.

Actually it makes loads of sense - It simultaneously returned Soul Fire to relevence to nonDestro locks, gave us a soul burn cooldown in PvE, and is useful, but a choice, for all locks.

Now if only they'd combine it with Bane...
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Cute, but the point stands. This @#!%'s been going on for 6 years and its gotten old.

If you're so tired of it, may I suggest a vacation from these forums then perhaps? The entire point of the Role forums is to discuss class balance issues. I'm not going to say that skill is not the most important aspect of dps (or any role), because it totally is - but that's not what these forums are here for.

You are coming off like one of those guys in trade chat yelling at people for using Gearscore to determine who to invite to a raid. It's absolutely true that skill > GS, but since there is no way for a total stranger to analyze your skill level, GS persists, and making a stink about saying skill >GS is just pissing in the wind because everyone knows its true but it's an irelivent point to the subject at hand.

I could point out that the Earth is not flat, but no matter how correct and true I may be, its not exactly contributing much to the discussion.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
Fair enough.
Reply Quote
58 Undead Rogue
Yeah, saving .6 seconds of casting time is PIMP.

glyph it and it is amazing. especially with all of the multi boss and flat target switches. affliction in general is pretty good right now, between soul swap and jinx an affliction lock is pretty powerful for the first tier of raiding.

You know that unglyphed, soul swap is a DPS loss right? That .6 seconds is WITH the glyph.
Reply Quote
1 Orc Shaman
Heroics don't matter. These numbers are for raid boss fights (the only content in the game which actually matters)

Dot specs are always going to be hosed in short fights, its always been that way.

heroics matter, they are what the majority of the player base spend their time doing

They are not what the game is balanced around though. Blizzard balances classes with raids in mind, not 5 mans (which are already being over geared in Beta with tier 10 mind you) all dot specs suck at 5 mans, thats how its always been.

But I guess finding something stupid to whine about is just the DDF nature. I guess we just won't be happy until Demo/Destro DPS is cut in half and Affliction is back to SL/SL BC status.
Reply Quote
74 Draenei Mage
Yeah, saving .6 seconds of casting time is PIMP.

glyph it and it is amazing. especially with all of the multi boss and flat target switches. affliction in general is pretty good right now, between soul swap and jinx an affliction lock is pretty powerful for the first tier of raiding.

You know that unglyphed, soul swap is a DPS loss right? That .6 seconds is WITH the glyph.

it's quite a big issue and it really does need to be looked at, the glyphed soul swap needs to be the base soul-swap and the glyph should do something else, such as increasing the soul-swap damage considerably at the cost of a longer cooldown.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock

Heroics do not matter for balancing purposes. The reason people do heroics is to accumulate gear. When you are accumulating gear, your dps does not matter. When you have the gear that you seek, heroics become irrelevant.

There is also a reason why majority of the players do not do high end boss modes.

As far as affliction ramp up goes, Only thing i can say is to allow swap to apply which ever dots are not present on the boss, and add 15-20sec Cooldown on it per debuff applied. Have this skill be restricted like BoD (not usable on players). Wishful thinking on my part ofcourse.

Edit: I am very happy with my class at the moment.
Edited by Xploiter on 11/20/2010 3:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Heroics don't matter in the dimwit world of Wrath. In Cata, they are genuinely hard content, so as I mentioned, I defy you to get beta and tell me Affliction is doing as well as the other two. The ramp up time is sheer death in comparison to how often you have to both switch targets and get CC'ed by a boss.

Hard until we're in t12, at which point it'll be just as easy as the heroics are now.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock

Yes, Unglyphed Soulswap is horrible, and should probably have the Glyph Baked into it.

However, your dismissiveness as to the potency of the Glyphed Soul Swap is kind of eh. .6sec saved every 10 sec is not an bad dps boost on its own. 2nd, of the time spent casting Soul Swap, 1.5 is the global on the exhale, which, unlike casting UA manually, allows UA to get in half a tick while you are waiting for the global to expire, which is equivilent to gaining a few thousand damage. Third, soulswap actually does damage, not a ton, but you got to factor that in to its value too. Overall, the glyphed Soulswap actually works out to a pretty strong dps boost in the situations where it is applicable.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
I dont like the using of soulfire as affy, I think it takes away from what an affliction lock is...dots and drains/shadow damage/damage over time. I think is anything they should have moved shadowbolt into the aff tree, lowered the cast time, and made it really scale to shadow damage and make it dot that ticks shadow damage. Meaning you cast SB on the mob it hits for x amount of damage it has a say oh 6 second cooldown..in those 6 seconds it ticks x amount of shadow damage as well. I think that would fit in with affy rotation better.

At least its closer to the affliction spec than soulfire imo

I don't like using corruption and BOD as destro, I think it takes away from what a destro lock is... direct and Burst dmg and Big numbers. I think if anything they should have movied BOD into the destro tree......

You see what i am doing there?

Stop being an ingrate and start enjoying the game instead of complaining over every little thing. They have done quite well with the specs and rotation. I do not want them messing this up. For once, i feel like i have a decent rotation and dmg with all specs working so darn close to each other.
Reply Quote
1 Orc Shaman

They are not what the game is balanced around though. Blizzard balances classes with raids in mind, not 5 mans (which are already being over geared in Beta with tier 10 mind you) all dot specs suck at 5 mans, thats how its always been.

But I guess finding something stupid to whine about is just the DDF nature. I guess we just won't be happy until Demo/Destro DPS is cut in half and Affliction is back to SL/SL BC status.

You, and people who whine about things like you, are precisely the problem with class balance. I am a Demonology player, straight up, always have been. But each spec of a pure class must be viable in order to maintain that classes' standing against hybrid dps. Furthermore, whining about Affliction locks in BC does nothing to improve your point, it just shows how butthurt you are after what? 5 years ago's Affliction lock beating you down?

Furthermore, this game is not balanced around raiding, otherwise Affliction would be vastly more powerful than it is with regards to it's dots. But dots make Arena Epeen jousters cry, so locks have never stopped being nerfed til 4.0.

First of all, Warlocks have NEVER had a bad season in PvP. They have been consistently very strong in PvP for the entire game.

And the point of this thread was to show that all 3 warlock specs are viable and very close to each other, and sorry, but they do not balance around 5 man heroics, raiding is their main focus. I think Affliction dots could use some boosting and soul swap needs to be made better, and id be willing to trade some filler damage (DL/SB) for more dot damage because if they just straight up buffed dots then afflic would be too much more powerful than Demo/Destro, breaking the almost perfect balance they have right now.

I also think the Imp Soul Fire situation is very clunky atm, but if they just buried it in Destro then demo/afflic would fall way behind it. They would have to compensate Demo/Afflic if they were to do that.
Edited by Flexxconexx on 11/20/2010 3:54 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]