4-5 month hiatus, what's tanking like now?

90 Orc Death Knight
When I was tanking 5-mans before I quit a few months ago, it was basically pull as much as you could and spam HB and BB while watching TV. I rarely had to use cooldowns and macro'd in rune strike took care of using it when it was up.

Now things look way different. I've read the tank threads, but they all discuss it from a concrete perspective.

• Is it more fun now?

• Is it more involved?

• Is threat difficult to maintain (making it annoying to tank)? Do DPS still pull aggro and get whiny?

• Or is it super easy (typical buff before the expansion op'ness)?

Thanks in advance!
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight

# Is it more fun now?
I enjoy it.

# Is it more involved?
About the same as all the other tanks.

# Is threat difficult to maintain (making it annoying to tank)? Do DPS still pull aggro and get whiny?

No, not really, and yes (of course)

# Or is it super easy (typical buff before the expansion op'ness)?
Yes for the DDs. Tank dps took a bit of a hit but it is not a big deal. The world will break in a week or two bringing most of the fixes that DK tanks need with it. You may want to wait on coming back until then though.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Death Knight
Is it more fun now?
It's about the same.

Is it more involved?
DK has never been a real rocket surgery class, and continues not to be.

Is threat difficult to maintain (making it annoying to tank)? Do DPS still pull aggro and get whiny?
If the boss doesn't hit very often or at all, you stand there waiting for runes to refresh unable to generate any threat. Most threat gen comes from rune strike which requires you to dodge or parry an attack to use. If you're able to rune strike, DPS has a hard time pulling threat. If you're unable to rune strike, threat is gone in 2 seconds.

Or is it super easy (typical buff before the expansion op'ness)?
Nope. Holy paladins and resto druids got to feel godmode in this round of pre-expansion game imbalance.

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight

Is threat difficult to maintain (making it annoying to tank)? Do DPS still pull aggro and get whiny?
If the boss doesn't hit very often or at all, you stand there waiting for runes to refresh unable to generate any threat. Most threat gen comes from rune strike which requires you to dodge or parry an attack to use. If you're able to rune strike, DPS has a hard time pulling threat. If you're unable to rune strike, threat is gone in 2 seconds.

Don't listen to people saying its fun and simple.

The answer to those questions will differ greatly between people that are actually playing their toon to 100% of its capabilities and the others who are satisfied offering a minimal performance.

To clarify on this, the ptr has the promised changes that will be here this coming Tuesday or the week after.

Yes DK tanking will have a learning curve for best performance, but it is not particularly hard, just requires keeping your eyes open and watching your damage intake and manage your runes.

So much negativity is not healthy. I suggest calling one of my friends, they'll make you feel better, promise! /evilsmile
Edited by Kalle on 11/18/2010 10:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Thanks for all the great replies. I'll probably start out on UK first, till I can take the training wheels off. ;)

Thanks!
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Your experience solely relies on the gear difference between you and your DPS.

The higher yours is above theirs, the more fun you have.

The closer to yours they get, the less fun it becomes. Seeing Warlocks and Fury Warriors putting out 16k-22k TPS gets quite frustrating.

That being said, the PTR has the RS change, so threat will be somewhat easier. At 81 with Outbreak, it becomes increasingly smooth.

I don't think I could ever truly stop playing my DK as a Tank. I guess there's something to be said about that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]