Frost Mage duels as a rogue

80 Blood Elf Rogue
Recently I have been dueling many frost mages in duels. I am a casual player who believes that a rogue CAN beat a mage of any talent specialization one on one.

Frost opener as Dance. Premed-->sap-->garrote--->(no white hits)---> KS--->Dance to force the block.

Frost opener as Mutilate---> Sap--> Vendetta--> garrote--> Mutilate---> (Trinket nova?)---> KS--->(blink)vanish--->sprint--->sap / garrote.

I am looking for more detail on how to open or open better for the situation at hand when playing a frost mage.

Thanks,

QT
Reply Quote
18 Undead Mage
Stay stealthed. You will never die.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
Not unless they have a pet.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
Most Mages always have a pet now -.-"
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
best way to kill a frost mage - have a feral druid do it for you
Edited by Stabetha on 11/19/2010 12:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue
Without pots, the mut rogue is going to have a much harder time than the sub rogue. Mutilate's biggest weakness is being easy to kite.
Reply Quote
I open as Sap > garrote > CB mut > Rup > mut > kidney (after the silence wears off and they blink)

Atm on Live garrote + rupture PLUS venomous wounds ticking with BOTH bleeds is pretty insane damage. Plus you get energy back from rupture. With those dots alone plus deadly poison they will panick and ice block before too long. No need to waste cloak or vanish before then. Unless you them setting up for burst. Ice lance hits like a truck atm.
Reply Quote
Without pots, the mut rogue is going to have a much harder time than the sub rogue. Mutilate's biggest weakness is being easy to kite.

I don't reckon, at least not on live right now.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue

Mut only has 2 chances to get out of a freeze. If you blow both vanish and CoS before you can take him out then you're screwed. Sub gives you a Get of Jail Free card. Plus vanish isn't even a guarantee anymore since it seems like everything out there can see thru your stealth now.
Reply Quote

Mut only has 2 chances to get out of a freeze. If you blow both vanish and CoS before you can take him out then you're screwed. Sub gives you a Get of Jail Free card. Plus vanish isn't even a guarantee anymore since it seems like everything out there can see thru your stealth now.

True sub has more ways to escape but that doesn't mean mut is behind. 2 is enough. Don't forget that if you apply your dots that you are doing damage while being cc'd, you don't have to break cc as soon as it hits you. Wait and see what he does first.

And don't quote me on this, but I think anyone can see you in vanish for those 3 seconds of immunity. At least everytime I have targetted a rogue (without vendetta) and he's vanished, my target dropped but I was still able to see them.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Vanish doesn't make you invisible.

What a world.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue
I think the changes to the talent system is what has really screwed up rogues lately more than anything else.
Reply Quote
True Jet, I miss my hybrid assassin/sub spec for pvp =( Frost mages are pwning my face right now. I've taken way to many 13k hits from that Ice Lance BS
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Its not easy, but it gets more even from the videos I've seen of beta.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
I always shiv crip after I open with garrote so he isn't going very far when he snares me
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]