1h vs 2h weapons

85 Night Elf Hunter
Anyone tested out dual wielding vs 2h now? Since agi is more important than AP, would dual wielding with 26 agi on each be better than 2h with massacre (110 ap)
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Hunter
Where did you get 92 AP? Two weapons with 26 agi enchants each:

26x2=52, 52x2=104 AP +crit
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
2H is generally superior for PvE, unless you are in need of Hit. Point for point, dual Accuracy enchants are the best-in-slot enchants for Hunters IF you can use all of the Hit. If you're Hit capped, a 2H weapon with Massacre on it will generally be better than two 1H weapons, due to the higher stat budget and more gem slots on the 2H weapon.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I dual wield simply because of what dropped for me, and the fact that it makes me more FLEXIBLE in how I enchant them. I can mix the hit/crit enchant on one, with Agil on other.

The axes I have sucked a bit for hunters pre 4.0.1, but now are not too bad. :)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
As of the state of enchanting in cataclysm right now, you're going to be somewhat forced into using a 2h weapon. I'm not sure if it's going to change, but there aren't any 1h weapon pure stat enchants right now. The 2h weapon stat enchant for hunters (mighty agility) is 130 agility on a 2h weapon. I suspect we'd be the only class using that enchantment.
Reply Quote
51 Blood Elf Hunter
Go dual weapons and choose for stats.

While I don’t have any hard figures I do have a rationale. As a beast-master hunter, it is a priority that the mobs stay on my pet. As such, I don’t want much melee dps coming off my blades. I still want wing clip and other melee skills to fire but just for the secondary effects like the slows and stuns. I want my pet to be able to pull aggro off me instantly.

Therefore, until I get misdirection, I only really want weapons for their stats and having two weapons with agility on them seems better than having one weapon with agility on it. Even after that point my melee damage is going to be pathetic by comparison to my much more significant ranged damage and I can’t do them both at the same time. So, given the choice, I always want to be at range, marginalizing my melee weapons back to stat buckets again.

I might also point out that when deterrence becomes a thing, you will need a melee weapon to make it work. Being disarmed will disable deterrence. Two weapons will make it much more likely that you will have a weapon in hand and keep deterrence a viable option.

In my view, the only successful scenario for a hunter ends at range. Perhaps that is different with other specs, specifically survival, but for beast-masters, no melee weapon you will ever have, will equal your pet so choose steel for its stats, keep your pet happy and keep shooting.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
As of the state of enchanting in cataclysm right now, you're going to be somewhat forced into using a 2h weapon. I'm not sure if it's going to change, but there aren't any 1h weapon pure stat enchants right now. The 2h weapon stat enchant for hunters (mighty agility) is 130 agility on a 2h weapon. I suspect we'd be the only class using that enchantment.

It could theoretically be the best enchant for ferals of either sort? Not sure, though.

Oh, and to answer the OP: the answer is the same as it's ever been. With your current tier of gear, can you get better stats from a 2h weapon or from dual-wielding? Use whichever is better.

The last time I used DW was when I had 2x bad mojos from Malacrass.
Edited by Pradzha on 11/19/2010 7:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
For what it's worth, this link takes you to the wowhead item comparison page.

What wowhead considers to be the best 2H weapon vs the best 1H weapon x2.

www.wowhead.com/compare?items=51881;50672;50672&weights=Hunter%20-%20Marksmanship;138:119:21:96:23:103;379:100:74:57:39:24

As you can see, you lose agility and crit but gain hit. It's really that simple for PvE. These are stat sticks and unless you just like the badassery of the look, going dual wield is rarely better.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
It really depends on the item level. If you have a 264 staff, and 2 264 swords, the difference would be minimal. If you have a 251 sword and a 264, the 264 staff would be better.
Comes down to choice really.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter

It could theoretically be the best enchant for ferals of either sort? Not sure, though.

Ah yes, forgot about feral druids. My druid would be angry at me :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]