Tanking Weapon

90 Blood Elf Paladin
What ever came of the argument of slow tanking weapons vs fast ones? Are the old Wrath tanking weapons still the best or is it best to move to a slow 1 hander dps weapon?
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?p=593317&rb_v=viewtopic#p593317

Slow dps will out preform Tanking weapons for threat
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
You'll get more threat out of a slow weapon, more avoidance out of a tanking weapon.

However, if you can't hold aggro with a tanking weapon, you're either doing something else wrong or your DPS overgears the content/severely outgears you, so it won't matter.
Reply Quote
7 Tauren Shaman
i've only been soloing on my prot pal lately (zg, kara, etc) and have been using ret gear, with a caster mace and a shield. the mace accounts for 1/3 of my spellpower, which I figured would buff up my wogs a bit. Am I mistaken? should i stick with the 2.6 speed wep to make cs stronger?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
i've only been soloing on my prot pal lately (zg, kara, etc) and have been using ret gear, with a caster mace and a shield. the mace accounts for 1/3 of my spellpower, which I figured would buff up my wogs a bit. Am I mistaken? should i stick with the 2.6 speed wep to make cs stronger?

The problem with using a caster weapon is that they tend to have VERY LOW weapon damage. This reduces the damage you do with your white-damage weapon swings, and the damage you do with Crusader Strike.

Remember, Righteous Fury applies to ALL threat now, not just Holy damage threat.
Reply Quote
7 Tauren Shaman
i was talking about soloing, where threat is of no concern. i've been using the dot seal too, that scales with spellpower right?
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
tankadins have always prefered slow

but prot wars used fast so tank weapons where all fast.

no longer an issue is cata, prot wars have seen the light and all tank weapons are slow.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Its totally up to you. If you are in Ret gear running around with a caster weapon/shield, you are gimping your damage by alot, so it may take you a little bit longer to kill than with running a slow dps weapon. Seal of Truth is the seal to use, yes, and it does not scale with spellpower.
Reply Quote
7 Tauren Shaman
no wonder holy complains about soloing so much. they don't even have a good dps seal
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
RF boosted threat of all actions before 4.0.1 as well, not just after. Holy actions just got a bigger boost than non-holy. Today they get equal boosts.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Threat

Righteous Fury
2.534 (all Holy-school abilities)
1.43 (all non-Holy actions)

Really? Damn, that's not what the tooltip used to say. (Didn't it say "Increases threat from Holy spells and abilities by 80%"?)
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
What ever came of the argument of slow tanking weapons vs fast ones? Are the old Wrath tanking weapons still the best or is it best to move to a slow 1 hander dps weapon?

What argument?

Its universally agreed slow dps one handed weapons pwn all. They have more stamina, produce more threat, and have almost as much avoidance.

Tanking weapons (save possibly last word) are all gimp now.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin

What argument?

Its universally agreed slow dps one handed weapons pwn all. They have more stamina, produce more threat, and have almost as much avoidance.

Tanking weapons (save possibly last word) are all gimp now.

Heroic Last Word maybe. I don't even touch my normal one anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
tankadins have always prefered slow

but prot wars used fast so tank weapons where all fast.

no longer an issue is cata, prot wars have seen the light and all tank weapons are slow.

Other way around. Pallies wanted fast weapons for more seal procs. Warriors wanted slow weapons for harder-hitting devastates.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Snag a heroic Frost Giant's Cleaver- easy to get ahold of and nice and slow at 2.60

If you're like me and don't raid, grab a Wrathful Slicer at 1700 honour and it sports a 2.60 speed as well, I believe.

Or just wait two weeks and get your Dragonbone Green Sword of the Bear.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I grabbed a wrathful slicer to replace my last word. As paladins we have always wanted slow tanking weapons. Warriors wanted faster weapons for the old heroic strike. So blizzard gave us fast tanking weapons.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue

Other way around. Pallies wanted fast weapons for more seal procs. Warriors wanted slow weapons for harder-hitting devastates.

lawl, seal procs where always normalized which made slow better for them.

and warriors cared about fast HS spam so much more than devastate it wasn't even funny
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock

lawl, seal procs where always normalized which made slow better for them.

and warriors cared about fast HS spam so much more than devastate it wasn't even funny

This.

Heroic Last Word maybe. I don't even touch my normal one anymore.

Glad to see you coming around to the dark side.
Edited by Vaydra on 11/20/2010 12:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
All tanking weapons are now 2.6 speed in cata. At least, looking at epic weapons without spell power with a level 85 requirement, no one-handed axe, mace, or sword had lower than 2.6 speed.

That said, the lines are a little bit blurry when it comes to what is a tank and what is a DPS weapon.

Take this comparison for example: http://cata.wowhead.com/compare?items=65036;65103

One with Parry is clearly a tank weapon, but the one with hit could be DPS or tank thanks to mastery being an extremely generic stat across all specs.

Regardless, it's a welcome change, when you look at some of Theck's numbers on maintankadin, you see that Broken Promise from Naxx actually outperforms a LOT of weapons at even the ICC level (in terms of tanking weapons that is).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]