A fix to Ignite munching?

90 Troll Mage
Right now, up to 50% of Ignite damage disappears due to the technical limitations of spells critting within certain timeframes. This has implications for Mage dps and the value of Mastery as a stat. Is overall damage being balanced to compensate and can we expect a solution in the near future?

We're resolving that by rolling up any "lost" ignite damage into the next ignite that overwrote it.

Straight from the recent BestBuy Developer Chat.

So, how much of an impact do you think this will make on fire mage DPS at 85? :) Sounds like a much-needed buff to me, not to mention a bug fix that's been a long time coming...
Reply Quote
I thought this fix was already in the game with patch 4.0.1. That could have been part of why they had to nerf us. Definitely a fix t hat was needed.
Reply Quote
Ignites mechanics are in a very weird state at the moment. I plan on trying to tackle them post Cata launch to ensure that we've got the latest and greatest mechanics available to us (at least until the first few bug fix patches happen).

I can say from Beta experience that last time I looked at ignite it did not contain this as near as I could tell, and we still were losing ignite damage not infrequently. We'll see as Deathwing comes to smashy-smashy though.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
Call me cynical, but that sounded like a generic "we don't really know what you're talking about, but yeah we fixed it" response. That same type of response was given at the beginning of BC and WLK too.
Edited by Qbert on 11/19/2010 9:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
Eos
Seems worse than ever to me. I was in naxx 10 the other day for #%!!s and giggles and saw nowhere near the dps increase that i should have on Loatheb. With 100% crit, I never saw a reasonably large ignite tick. I waited until his health reached 25% to use combustion and expected to see some giant ticks.

Instead, I saw ticks for about 7k...less than i see in ICC.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
I thought this fix was already in the game with patch 4.0.1. That could have been part of why they had to nerf us. Definitely a fix t hat was needed.

On the contrary, it was 4.01 that introduced the current ignite munching problem. Prior to 4.01 it was a problem, but not as noticeably detrimental. Now it's practically a nightmare. I don't know how they could even guess at balancing fire without fixing it first.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
Call me cynical, but that sounded like a generic "we don't really know what you're talking about, but yeah we fixed it" response. That same type of response was given at the beginning of BC and WLK too.

Sort of my first thought as well, but I hope I am/we are wrong.
Reply Quote
I was quite surprised to see them FINALLY respond to this. This issue has existed for literally the entire time of the game. Way back in pre-TBC days it did not matter so much cause FB was a 3 second cast. But now, with instant-pyro and haste to get 1.X casts on FB, it is a BIG dps eater.
Edited by Noixi on 11/19/2010 1:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage

Instead, I saw ticks for about 7k...less than i see in ICC.

I hear Icecrown has a buff that increases your damage so you can't really use that as a fair comparison, aside from that fire specialization is currently only a fraction of what its intended value should be. But I understand where you're coming from in terms of your crit output not producing the ignite stack you should see.

Regardless, the change is interesting but we won't see the full effects of it immediately in 85 raiding because of abysmal stat values. Ignite rolling won't be a very common sight because of this in the early tiers of raiding.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
It didn't matter because ignite damage kept stacking in a single debuff, increasing damage with every application of ignite, regardless of the source.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]