The Death of Oqueue? (5.4.2)

100 Night Elf Druid
I admit it, I said his name in the mirror three times.

(I admit I made up the part about lizard jesus, for the record)
Edited by Amyiss on 12/5/2013 3:54 PM PST
100 Human Mage
If it wasn't for OQueue, i never would have been able to do Celestials or Ordos. Glad Blizzard is adding something similar.
90 Troll Warlock
Tiny, do you plan on continuing development after 6.0? I understand that it may largely depend on what Blizzard incorporates into the native group finder, but sorting options like item level or rating (with checks on both the group creator and those wishing to join) are very helpful.
90 Troll Warlock
12/05/2013 03:56 PMPosted by Jaquio
We're not trying to "kill oQueue"; in fact, a lot of us use it ourselves.

If I'm taking you out of context I deeply apologize Lore, but are you saying Blizzard is alright for the time being with us using Open-Que? I ask because concern of violating the ToU is the prime reason I have not ever used it.

To my knowledge, it's never not been within the ToU to use oQueue. The AddOn development policy is completely separate from the ToU.
interesting read.

let's see... in the last 4 pages i saw: call outs. name calling. slander. half truths. whole lies. hmm, wasn't there a forum behavior policy somewhere?

as for the news, i would hope to hell a billion dollar mega corp with hundreds of devs and graphic artists that control the servers and api could do a radically smoother job at implementing a synchronized x-realm bulletin board (essentially what it is) then a single guy coding it in his loft at night. the multi-cast channel alone between the data centers should easily replace the mesh... as i mentioned to them pre-blizzcon. as for everything else, the guys @ blizz know what they're doing... they've been doing it for years (plus it helps if you get stuck to walk into the guys office and ask him why a call doesn't work). from everything i've seen, i have no doubt they can make a solid replacement and increase player satisfaction across all realms.

btw... for the rest of you... you're welcome.

moving forward, let's see if we can salvage the purpose for playing and what motivates people to log in. i'd hope to see a push towards large meta concepts like leadership rank and coordinated groups accomplishing a goal or fighting against other players to achieve some longer objective. (i personally think a limited amount of guild housing and a system for building it up while fighting over the scarce locations would work very nicely)

i'd also like to see a harsh stance against trolls as their whole mission is to destroy the enjoyment of the player's experience. in-game and in the forums. it's pretty sad when the game devs avoid the place due to the trolling. that's when you know it's out of control.

I do believe the first part of your post is simply unavoidable. I don't think we would have much of a forum population left if all those type of people were banned.

I do appreciate what you've done with Oqueue, don't get me wrong. Only thing I've never understood is why you couldn't simply remove the 'beer' button and have that on your website instead (since curse doesn't let us download your stuff from them anymore, people have to be directed to your website). It caused so much controversy I don't understand why that wouldn't have been just a simple fix. Then again, I've never put the type of time and effort you've put in and given it out for free, so there's that.

I honestly wish there was a way to inforce a 'no trolling' policy, I just don't understand how you could prove a troll. Obviously, I'm not talking about the blatent obvious trolls, I'm talking about the trolls that actaully are clever. For instance, how could you prove someone who got in a group, pulled, then left didn't actually DC, or have something important come up so they had no choice. Anyway, that's a whole other topic for another thread.

Again, I appreciate what you've done with Oqueue, and I'm happy to see you've made such a huge impact on this game. I appreciate it.
100 Draenei Paladin
12/05/2013 03:35 PMPosted by Annorroth
Of course, both of our statements are just hearsay without a source. But hearsay is fun, right?

I can't be certain that the word "freeloader" was the exact term he used. I can say that he was angry at the person for not donating and called him something that had the same meaning.
Community Manager
12/05/2013 03:56 PMPosted by Jaquio
We're not trying to "kill oQueue"; in fact, a lot of us use it ourselves.

If I'm taking you out of context I deeply apologize Lore, but are you saying Blizzard is alright for the time being with us using Open-Que? I ask because concern of violating the ToU is the prime reason I have not ever used it.

Using oQueue does not violate the terms of service, no.
12/05/2013 04:03 PMPosted by Lore

Using oQueue does not violate the terms of service, no.

WONDERFUL NEWS.

Thank you.
92 Tauren Death Knight
Tiny, do you plan on continuing development after 6.0? I understand that it may largely depend on what Blizzard incorporates into the native group finder, but sorting options like item level or rating (with checks on both the group creator and those wishing to join) are very helpful.

the main reason i created oQueue was to solve the bot problem in AV which lead to non-stop win-trading (if you call the let's-lose-and-requeue-for-faster-honor win trading). the only way to do that was to insure the bots & bads weren't on our side... and after 4+ years of waiting for it to be fixed, it was either fix it myself or have a brain aneurism.

after 6.0, since it seems blizz has recognized that players loath being forced into groups with players that have no desire to play properly towards the goals... then we will have full grouping in 6.0, even in PVP. this is a good thing and solves the problem oQueue was created for. in a sense, oQueue is being elevated and it's concept absorbed into the game. as such, i would see no reason to continue oQueue passed that point.
100 Pandaren Shaman
Blizzards version of OQ sucs. Its hard to find, most people will not use it unless they move it.
100 Dwarf Hunter
Blizzards version of OQ sucs. Its hard to find, most people will not use it unless they move it.

You really need to go read or else re-read Lore's first post. They'll be doing just that.

Blizzard does not currently have a version of OQ. I guess you didn't read anything that was said in the last 16 pages.
90 Human Hunter

10/10 comprehension ability...not
Edited by Ciladis on 12/5/2013 4:14 PM PST
100 Human Warrior
My only problem with the addon is the fact that I chose to play this game without addons.

And when ever I try to get a group of people on MY REALM together they just say "Get OQ!"

But that's just me.
100 Human Warrior
Since we're still seeing some confusion about the Group Finder, let me try to clear up what I can:

There are two completely separate developments going on here. One is the cross-realm functionality being added to our existing Raid Browser in patch 5.4.2. This is totally unrelated to the new Group Finder we announced at Blizzcon. Basically, we discovered that we could pretty easily add cross-realm browsing to the Raid Browser for 5.4 content, so we've done that in 5.4.2.

6.0's Group Finder is an entirely different thing being built from scratch. It'll allow you to find or create groups for basically any content you can think of, be it raids, dungeons, PvP, questing... heck, you could start a group for running laps in Dalaran if you wanted. It also won't be hidden away someplace that the majority of the playerbase won't notice -- it's gonna be a lot more front-and-center.

A lot of players are drawing parallels between our new Group Finder and the oQueue addon, and that's a perfectly valid comparison. We've been thrilled to see how people have taken to oQueue for finding organized groups, especially in 5.4, and feel that's the sort of thing that the game really should be providing to all players. We're not trying to "kill oQueue"; in fact, a lot of us use it ourselves. We just think that cross-realm group finding should really be part of the core game.

Could you move the button for the Group Finder to a place people can see it? (The 5.4.2 one)

I'm betting people won't find it even if they look for it lol

Something for RBGs would be nice too.
Edited by Drede on 12/5/2013 4:28 PM PST
90 Night Elf Druid
I welcome any reason for my friends to stop spamming "(OQ)" every time they log into a character.
100 Goblin Shaman
I admit it, I said his name in the mirror three times.

(I admit I made up the part about lizard jesus, for the record)

You ever notice that happens whenever I bring up a certain druids name? Surprised he hasn't been around lately (might be incognito though).
Community Manager
12/05/2013 03:49 PMPosted by Mawduke
But with OQ you can put restrictions, view how well they've done before, and how well they're liked with the public. Openraid had a reputation how well people liked your raids and gave you upvotes. Is there any way they will add something like that to help people avoid groups lead by bad players, mean leaders or elitist jerks?

We do want to provide some options for group leaders to put some restrictions for who can and can't request to join their group. We don't want to do it in a way that encourages people to be too heavy-handed, but we also want to make the system easy and intuitive to use, and feel it's better for everyone if the system lets leaders be upfront about who they're willing to bring along.

Basically, we want to avoid a situation where you can be invited to a group and then immediately be kicked when the leader inspects your gear and finds you're 10 item levels lower than he or she is looking for (and then have to repeat that process until you eventually either find a group that will bring you or give up entirely). We'd rather do our best to make sure you only see groups that you've actually got a shot at running with :)
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]