Devs and CM's, please converse with us more=)

92 Human Paladin
As much as I hate to see Ghostcrawler moving on from WoW, I think the biggest concern I have is that, honestly, he was a lot more vocal about the game. We felt more like we had a direct line of communication, via his Twitter account, whereas now, I'm worried that fans will feel more like we're being left in the dark.

Obviously, Blizzard knows how to design a game, so I'm not suggesting we *need* to be heard. However, I think everyone wants to feel like their feedback is being heard -- even if it winds up being disregarded in the end -- and honestly, I actually do think it's important to get the outsiders' perspectives, as well.

Also, please don't take this as me suggesting you guys aren't doing a great job -- it's more that I feel like we tend to see more "PR-responses", like Blue posts go through some kind of robotic-filter, when sometimes (as is the case on the D3 forums, much of the time) I think it's better to just have more casual posts, more direct conversation than deflections or "official responses".

Anyways, that's just my perspective, but I think it'd be nice to see a tiny bit more interaction with the community. Maybe more Q&A's, comments on player suggestions, stuff like that. =)
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
I think to understand the full context here - you have to realize that GC -did- used to post a lot to the forums and converse with us directly.

We screwed that up, badly.

If we want devs to converse with us, we need to not screw it up.
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
I think to understand the full context here - you have to realize that GC -did- used to post a lot to the forums and converse with us directly.

How is it our problem to get them to do their job? /scratchhead

A devs job isn't to ferry information to us. A devs job is to dev.

If we WANT devs to ferry information to us, we need to work with them on it.
100 Human Warlock
A rotten apple spoils the barrel.

Unfortunately; we have ~7.7 million apples to worry about.
Edited by Acteon on 12/3/2013 12:16 PM PST
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest

A devs job isn't to ferry information to us. A devs job is to dev.

If we WANT devs to ferry information to us, we need to work with them on it.

Or they could, you know, post what info they have. It should require no work on your customers part to keep them informed. It's just basic business.

What about community managers? Do they do anything? I don't see why we would have to "work" for basic information that other companies post as soon as it's available.

Because there's a continuum.

Sure they have to give us the bare minimum - and they do. The CM's DO post info.

... but they can also be a lot MORE involved -beyond- the bare minimum.

However to get that, we need to drop the entitled attitude about it - and actually meet them civilly.
100 Night Elf Rogue

How is it our problem to get them to do their job? /scratchhead

GC used to post frequently on the forums. He stopped when the flaming got way out of hand. We (the forum community) messed that up.
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
GC used to post frequently on the forums. He stopped when the flaming got way out of hand. We (the forum community) messed that up.

Exactly precisely right.
93 Troll Rogue
It would be nice, but let's face it there's no way the community as a whole is going to suddenly become polite and civil. A community as large and diverse as WoW's is probably always going to have a really loud entitled rude minority that scares away or discourages the devs.

Ghostcrawler spoke to the community pretty well and seemed pretty thick-skinned about it, but most people would probably just go all Tseric when faced with us.
Edited by Aziz on 12/3/2013 12:27 PM PST
98 Draenei Mage

"Here" is not the only venue to communicate. GC did fairly well on Twitter and the AMAs were well done.

I 100% agree with the OP that with GC's loss, that void of regular communication will be greatly missed not just by WoW news junkies like myself but by players just wanting to know what is going on.
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest

"Here" is not the only venue to communicate. GC did fairly well on Twitter and the AMAs were well done.

I agree - however I'm of the flameworthy opinion that GC did a good job overall.

It's just that the forums are too vulnerable to "a certain type of poster" to be effective at conveying information to us.

So they moved to twitter and dev interviews and such.

I do hope someone else fills that void.

However I do not envy them.
90 Human Warlock
I don't know, I can't picture Neth wearing sneakers...

Candle wax would get all over them.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
There are several reasons:

1. There was a time when they posted more often even when it was outside of their main job of actually developing things, but it often led to being severely flamed or have the thread derailed.

2. People would misinterpret what they said at times, or draw incorrect conclusions and run with it.

3. They do not want to advertise what they work on because of the nature of how things work. People would go up in arms if a prematurely announced feature ended up being delayed, changed, or even dropped entirely due to any number of reasons.
Edited by Zauberei on 12/3/2013 12:47 PM PST
58 Human Death Knight
People would misinterpret what they said at times, or draw incorrect conclusions and run with it.

Or try to twist the words the devs/blues use to make it mean something it was never intended to mean.

Or the posters would get butt hurt when the devs/blues didn't sugar coat their words and phrases. Among many other things that could fall under this.
98 Draenei Mage
12/03/2013 12:34 PMPosted by Snowfox
I agree - however I'm of the flameworthy opinion that GC did a good job overall.
I also think he did very well. I did not agree with him all the time but as I said in the sticky, "in my 35 years of gaming, I have never seen a developer go so far out of his way to communicate with the players." This was true even for small/indie developers as well.

I don't know, I can't picture Neth wearing sneakers...

Candle wax would get all over them.

I took this in an entirely different context. See what happens when you drink Cape Codders all day :P
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I think we should all just be grateful that Any Blizzard employees even post
in the forums let alone the customer support is far better then most company's
Heck I could name one company in particular that there is 0 support.

Even getting a dev or mod posting is rare let alone customer support never bothers
to even respond to a players ticket, at least here we actually get something all I'm
saying is be grateful Blizzard actually tries to appease the player base instead of
ignoring us entirely.
Wait, is this about GC?
Pfft, I'm not missing him...
Community Manager
We try to communicate as much as we can. I can't speak for every CM (as we all have different duties around the office which can often take us away from the forums a bit), but conversing on the forums has been a personal priority of mine since I started here. I spend a large chunk of my day reading and replying when I feel I have something meaningful to add. I also collect a ton of feedback to bring directly to the developers for discussion.

I totally get the concerns about losing Ghostcrawler from Twitter. He's been one of the most candid and open developers in the gaming industry as a whole for a long time. Fortunately, he's not only developer responding regularly on Twitter! We actually have a list in one of the stickies on this forum with Twitter handles of several top developers. Generally speaking, any question you would previously have sent to Ghostcrawler, someone else on that list will be able to answer. The Community team's Twitter handles are listed in there as well. ;)

Greg will no longer be working with us here at Blizzard, but we're not going to let that be a stopping point to our interaction with the community. We're here for you guys.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]