Shockadin Information

85 Blood Elf Paladin
I have been a shockadin since level 1 at the start of BC. What makes a shockadin before the spec is a mentality. A shockadin is a solitary fighter. You kill all that attack you and heal yourself and nobody else unless you are with somebody you know is worth healing. This spec is really for all the holy paladins that don't like ret but would still like to quest and stay alive in world pvp. It is great for defending in battlegrounds as well. Shockadin is my primary spec and healadin is my second spec. This is a very fun spec for healers and I suggest it to all holy paladins. It saves bag space given that you use your normal healing gear with maybe a few key items that could be switched out.

If you look at my spec you will get a good idea of how to maximize your healing and your damage output. I will be going into eye for an eye, pursuit of justice and one point improved judgments at 85. I will also move two points out of protector of the innocent and move them to last word when protector is nerfed.

Also, seal of righteousness is crap right now. If you use truth and go through a rotation of all your damaging moves, you will keep your holy power up and the truth stack at 5 ticks for around 570 with 1.2k crits (I even use crusader strike). I see myself continuing to use truth so I can continue to suppress rogues as I do since it is not a magical dot and cant be gotten rid of. Yes I do also throw a few exorcisms in a row. I just don't go crazy with it so I can avoid giving away an easy interrupt. With my spec and also using crusader strike, having Inquisition up at the start of a fight and maintaining it should be doable unless you need to use word of glory to keep health up.

I will keep an eye on this thread since I am an old shockadin and always will be. Just keep in mind that this is NOT a raid viable dps or healing spec. The damage it dose do is for killing players or mobs only. Otherwise it is unsustainable. This is for solo play only. Use it for pvp or leveling and questing.

If you have questions, I should be able to answer them. Please keep your questions concise. I am not afraid of reading, so please ask your questions in bulk. Stay constructive and have fun.

Pern.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
is shockadin good for leveling?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Shockadin is VERY good for leveling. You don't die, your armor is high, and you kill very quickly due to instant cast damage spells or fast exorcisms. your cooldows are also all back up for when you get to the next mob. Your downtime is nonexistent since you have a high mana regen as well. You can survive being jumped much easier on pvp realms. You can solo most elite mobs since taking hits generates holy power and you can keep yourself up with word of glory at higher levels or gain faster heals to use on yourself by using shock at lower levels.

You are also strong healer and can heal instances till you are able to duel spec when it becomes necessary to focus more on healing tallents.

Pern.
Edited by Pernisha on 11/19/2010 4:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Troll Shaman
I have a question. I am thinking of rolling a Shockadin and was just wondering, since I'm going to be leveling, what gear should I be focused on getting? I know two handers are not going to have the stats I need and most mail/plate gear won't either probably till Outlands, so is cloth and leather fine, like I won't be too squishy?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Honestly while you're leveling, any mail or plate (and accessories) of the eagle will work just fine. LFD random rewards tend to be geared towards class and spec, so you'll pick up decent intellect and spell power gear from that if you run instances often. As long as you keep your core armor pieces (chest, legs, head and shoulders) mail/plate you'll be fine on armor. Plate spec doesn't come until 50 anyways.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Sarannah is correct on everything but when plate is acsesable. At 40 is when you get plate. Otherwise go for any plate(or mail before 40) that has intellect, stamina and spirit on it. Unfortunatly since this gear is only for one spec on one class, you may have to resort to keeping an eye on the auction house for future upgrades and current ones.

Pern.
Reply Quote
75 Blood Elf Paladin
I believe she meant the level 50 plate specialization, in which you get an extra 5% of your spec's relevant stat for having all plate armour worn.
Edited by Atrapoema on 11/19/2010 5:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
good != best

no one said it was the best spec, just a good spec
Reply Quote
1 Troll Shaman
Shockadin is VERY good for leveling. You don't die, your armor is high, and you kill very quickly due to instant cast damage spells or fast exorcisms. your cooldows are also all back up for when you get to the next mob. Your downtime is nonexistent since you have a high mana regen as well. You can survive being jumped much easier on pvp realms. You can solo most elite mobs since taking hits generates holy power and you can keep yourself up with word of glory at higher levels or gain faster heals to use on yourself by using shock at lower levels.

You are also strong healer and can heal instances till you are able to duel spec when it becomes necessary to focus more on healing tallents.

Pern.

You don't die

Just like the other two pally specs.

your armor is high

Just like the other two pally specs. Actually, you'll probably be using cloth items for a few dozen levels, assuming you want your damage spells to actually do any damage, and your heals to actually do any healing.

you kill very quickly

your cooldows are also all back up for when you get to the next mob

Just like the other two pally specs. Actually, CS has a shorter CD than HS, and ret and prot each get a hard-hitting attack to destroy a mob in one hit every 2-3 mobs.

Your downtime is nonexistent since you have a high mana regen as well.

You can solo most elite mobs

taking hits generates holy power

That's only starting at level 59. Blessed Life is also being nerfed to have an ICD of 8 seconds, up from 2 seconds. Since it's in the same tier as Tower of Radiance, the theoretical minimum level to start that out is also 59, so you'd have to choose. Other than those, the only HP generator holy has is HS (besides CS, which ret and prot also have, prot having only a 3sec CD for CS/HotR).

You are also strong healer and can heal instances

This is where the big difference is between leveling as holy and leveling as ret or prot. That's pretty much the only advantage that holy actually has, out of all the ones you listed.

The change to Exo wasn't made to turn holy into a DPS spec. Its purpose was to allow holy pallies to level up as easily as the other healing classes. No other healer seriously relied on autoattacks and str/AP abilities - all the way to the level cap - to contribute to their damage.

I know for me, that I am trying this out because I find Prot and Ret both completely boring, but I love healing and Holy Pallies look like fun to me (more resources to manage, shiny armor, even if they are a bit gimp as people are complaining), and this spec gives me something to fool around with, both as PVE DPS and heals :) Like the above poster stated, she didn't say it was the best spec, just a good one, and it looks a hell of a lot more exciting then ret or prot imo.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Remember, I am suggesting this for players that DON'T like ret or prot and DO like holy because they are healers at heart. Shockadin is just a fun and good alternative to having to duel spec into something you don't like. It also allows a sense of security since you know you can handle yourself instead of just run away, heal and pray for help.

So yes, as it is shown above, there is little difference other than healing capabilities. But if you are a pure healer, none of the above apply and your questing and leveling is going to suck. Mobs die slow, yes you are hard to kill, you can solo elite mobs if you have a few hours and enough mana Regen (exaggeration but not a big one). But in all it is just a really fun spec to play. So enjoy and don't use it where it shouldn't be used.

I have also made a thread called "healing, holy power, spell/talent changes" that some of you may appreciate. So please take a look. It is about changes that could be made that would benefit both specs of holy and leveling.

Pern.
Edited by Pernisha on 11/19/2010 7:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If you want to have that disucssion go find a guy named Gwayne. ATM you're arguing with yourself.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
The only issue I currently have is that you can't grab the basic shockadin talents until tier 3 Denounce and Tier 4 Enlightened Judgements. I don't know the current level arrangement is per talent point. Maybe, it's something in the mid-20s to early 30s range? Also, there's the problem of competing prefix Eagle gear with Owl gear. Afterall, we will need that mana regen from spirit.

I would like to level/race change to a Sunwalker when the next patch hits. However, I'm still itching to know what the new tweaks to the racials will be. To me, racials do matter in what I want my class to be competitive at. As a shockadin right now, I would stick with Blood Elves for the simple reason they can get mana back while performing an AoE silence. Taurens just have an extremely long CD AoE stun. It's just too situational.

EDIT: Oh, how I hate the casting and attacking graphics on Blood Elves.
Edited by Jharek on 11/21/2010 5:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
I found this very interesting!

Is there another source for 4.+ shockadins? I levelled my paly as holy with a feral tank from 70-80 and I have no interest in going back to ret and prot isn't my thing either.

I've never tried the whole shockadin thing... can anyone tell me where I can find info on 'rotations' or priorities? Even just the basics of how to play the spec.

Last question (Pernisha)... which of your two specs is the suggested spec? I've barely played my paly since 4.0 and I'm a fair bit behind on the specs/playstyle.

Thanks,

-Vv

Edit: Mainly looking for info for questing/dailies or maybe a little PvP. I've read the Shockadin guide on this forum but it seems aimed at raiding as shock, which I have no intention of doing ;)
Edited by Vvarg on 11/21/2010 7:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
I've never tried the whole shockadin thing... can anyone tell me where I can find info on 'rotations' or priorities? Even just the basics of how to play the spec.

Rotation: Judgement - Holy Shock - Exorcism - Exorcism - Exorcism - Exorcism - Holy Shock - Exorcism - Exorcism - Exorcism - Exorcism

I think you get the idea. A lot of this rotation is based on deeper talents. The judgement is for Judgements of the Pure which provides you with a 9% haste buff. The holy shock is for the Speed of Light buff which increases your Casting Speed by another 3%. Previously the Speed of Light buff wasn't consumed by exorcism but the change to the Tooltip seems to suggest otherwise (haven't been able to get in game since 4.0.3 so I don't know.)

Last question (Pernisha)... which of your two specs is the suggested spec? I've barely played my paly since 4.0 and I'm a fair bit behind on the specs/playstyle.

You'll want to look at her Primary spec (the one on the left).
Reply Quote
Thank you sir /bow

=D
Reply Quote
Oh! Don't forget Holy Wrath. It can do a decent amount of damage against 1 target. Once you start getting more than 2 it's probably not worth it other than to keep people in combat.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
The spec I suggest you use, Vvarg is the 31/2/3 spec that has no beacon. I also will be going into pursuit of justice 2pt. eye for an eye 2pt. and improved judgment 1pt.

the rotation I use since I use seal of truth is exorcism followed by holy shock first. This gives you cast time and damage before you agro. You then follow up with another exorcism regardless of whether or not you get an instant cast proc. So in the end you get one extra exorcism in before there is any agro. after that I use judgment then crusader strike since they are now in your face. Usually shock is up again at this point and you should use it followed by exorcism then holy wrath. Then repeat.

Now the reason I am saying this strange rotation is that it gets a lot of instant casts in there and forces you to get melee hits in. With a five stack from truth, you judgments are hitting harder and your dot is ticking for a lot. If you use crusader strike and holy shock every time they are up you will get in the habit of generating a lot of holy power for when you have inquisition. Doing this will make your damage very high as well. Tonight I was pulling about 7.5k dps on blood queen since we didn't need the extra healer. So I got to go shockadin for the fight. Just spamming exorcism puts me at about 5.7k dps. So I have tested this. So almost always sandwich your shocks between exorcisms and keep holy wrath, crusader strike, judgment and holy shock on cooldown. If you do that you will be fine. Also if you fight this way in pvp you can move more, you trip up interrupts since you throw so many instant casts in between exorcisms and you oddly get more dps than you would using just shock and exorcism. In pve questing, most mobs don't survive exorcism,shock exorcism. If they do, then you hammer of wrath and move on. If they are tougher than that, use judgment then hammer. If you are ever killing faster than your shock can come off cooldown I find that I will exor, shock, exor, hammer the first mob and exor, judge, exor, crusader, hammer the second. Then repeat.

So go ahead and keep an eye on my spec and glyphs and you should do very well when you are fighting alone in quests or pvp. Be sure to check back when the shattering hits. A few things will be changing then and I hope I have helped and answered your questions effectively enough.

Pern.
Edited by Pernisha on 11/21/2010 11:19 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]