How do they do so little?

80 Dwarf Paladin
Ever been in a group with someone a spec or whatnot you've been before, with equal gear yet they pulled out pitiful damage in comparison?

Has anyone actually checked to see what they're doing wrong?

I saw a Frost DK earlier using almost nothing but HB even on single target. Looking at Recount I had realized he never used Obliterate of Frost Strike, not even once. Yet he used Death Coil o.O

The other day I saw an arcane mage who somehow managed to pull out less than 2K dps at 80, which is sad really. When I watched her I realized she would never stack arcane blast. She'd use it once, then instantly use Missiles or Barrage.

Any examples others would be willing to share?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Not everyone knows that pve is a giant math problem, and that the answers are on the internet.

Then there's someone like me, who used to heal heroics exclusively with lifebloom, just because it was fun and I could.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
When I first hit 80 on my mage I'd go oom every other pull if I stacked arcane blasts. I had to alternate or I'd spend the entire instance dry. If her gear was really bad, it's possible she just didn't want to go oom.

Still though, if the mage was in an 80 heroic, 2K dps is plenty ;)
Reply Quote
Lots of healers don't spam their cheap heal on the tank. They are still healing like we did back in 60 dungeons, madly casting expensive spells to keep up with spikes that they weren't looking for. Still, that's a good thing. It means they have a lot of fun stuff to learn.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I'd also like to point out that many ways in which you can maximize your damage are counterintuitive.

Let's take that arcane mage as an example: often when you can arcane blast, you get a proc. Shouldn't you always want to cast arcane missiles that are at super speed? I mean, they're firing off way faster, right? Plus your screen lights up, telling you that you should be doing something.

Destruction: it's more dps to wait between immolate -> conflagrate than it is to immolate, cast something else during the lag, and then conflagrate.

Enhancement: it's more dps to fire off a x5 maelstrom lightning bolt than it is to stormstrike, even if the stormstrike debuff has fallen off.

etc.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Had a dps DK a while back - Blood, I think, though I don't remember for certain - who did 900dps on a Culling of Stratholme run.

I checked recount, and his sources of damage were as follows: Blood Boil, Blood Strike and Plague Strike.. and PS was less than 20% of the breakdown.
Reply Quote
88 Human Death Knight
I'd also like to point out that many ways in which you can maximize your damage are counterintuitive.

Let's take that arcane mage as an example: often when you can arcane blast, you get a proc. Shouldn't you always want to cast arcane missiles that are at super speed? I mean, they're firing off way faster, right? Plus your screen lights up, telling you that you should be doing something.

Destruction: it's more dps to wait between immolate -> conflagrate than it is to immolate, cast something else during the lag, and then conflagrate.

Enhancement: it's more dps to fire off a x5 maelstrom lightning bolt than it is to stormstrike, even if the stormstrike debuff has fallen off.

etc.

Doing those mistakes though will only result in average DPS; There is nothing wrong with 1-1.5k in the 70s. Its not very good, but its leagues better than the horror stories most people can tell.

Like, I was grouped with a level 76 DPS DK in Old Kingdom. He was pulling 300-400 DPS and not to be elitist, but I inspected him. He was blood, wearing half tank gear, not the most unusual thing.

Then I looked through recount and found out that he was always late to pulls, and when he got there, he presumably hit blood strike twice, then just sat there waiting for those two blood runes to refresh. His parse consisted only of melee and a very small blood strike count.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

Not to be mean but lol, that is funny. He was probably told, or assumed, at some point that blood strike was what he should be hitting. I've come across stranger suggestions.

Right, but it gets to a certain stage that just plain doesn't make sense. I mean it says on the BS tooltip that the damage is increased with diseases. It's as if (some) people can't figure out that 10 is a bigger number than 9. Dps at higher levels of optimization is a math dilemma, yet basic functionality is... basic.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
i saw a frost mage yesterday in a BG using arcane missles. no no, not the 30s bracket. level 80 with ice barrier up ... using arcane missle procs.

i /palm ed him i dont think he realized why.
Reply Quote
70 Undead Warlock
I only care when they are wiping the group. That happens, but not often.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
destruction lock just spamming incinerate....WITHOUT IMMOLATE *DUN DUN DUN* !!!!

thing was he didnt know any better. rather than make fun of the ignorant sob, i educated him. hopefully hes out there now using immolate, conflag AND chaos bolt. chances are though hes still spamming incin and getting yelled at.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Nothing beats the demo lock melee'ing adds in Heroic Pinnacle with his green quest staff.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
One of my 80's is a hunter. This toon is actually my 11yo daughter's toon. Some times I am driving the toon (I geared her up pretty nicely) sometimes she is. Obviously she does a bit less dps than I do.

I have several guild mates who let their kids farm jp for them. Obviously they won’t be toping dps meters.

I am very sure there are some rather clueless people playing wow.... just bear in mind that you don’t really know who or what is sitting at the keyboard.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
This is also similar to PvP... people could research at how to play their spec effectively by watching videos or reading strats but, they're simply there for gear/money.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]