Holy Holy Holy

85 Night Elf Death Knight
Hey ho, I wanted to get back into pallys with Cataclysm, and was just wondering if Holy spec would be anything like the old Shockadin spec for leveling / dps? Or is it just a waste of time now?

I'm not overly thrilled to go to a Ret spec or something like that.

Tks.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
short answer: yes, shockadin spec is viable for leveling, and even decent for PvP
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
Even shorter answer: thanks ;)
Reply Quote
89 Draenei Paladin
A more realistic answer; though Holy is "viable" you will probably be better off having Retribution or Protection for leveling and saving Holy for when you want to healbot.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm probably going to try leveling as holy but I do have ret gear in the bank if its not working so well for me. I'm fairly patient and I think so long as glyphed/talented exorcism doesnt eat up too much mana I should be fine. I'll be building a custom holy leveling spec though taking all the +damage talents. I never played the old "shockadin" so I dont know how it compares to that but most mobs die in a judge->holy wrath->hs->1-2 exos in my current gear..I dont know how much tougher the new mobs will be.
Reply Quote
89 Draenei Paladin
Shockadins are pretty good for soloing (they're far more versatile and survivable than Ret) and are bloody insane in PvP.

Ret, on the other hand...

Okay, it might be good for soloing, maybe, but in PvP it's the same old, same old that it was in WotLK, just with different mechanics.

Shockadins have no need to be afraid of kiters. Unlike Rets. :P
Shockadins won't be all that after the patch with the nerfs to healing. Protector of Innocent will no longer heal you if you use a heal on yourself, Holy Shock is losing healing potential for more damage, and Guarded by the Light is getting a very massive nerf. Just to name a few.
Reply Quote
89 Draenei Paladin
Shockadins won't be all that after the patch with the nerfs to healing. Protector of Innocent will no longer heal you if you use a heal on yourself,

This will suck a bit, but nothing we can't recover from.

Holy Shock is losing healing potential for more damage,

You kidding me? That's good! :P

and Guarded by the Light is getting a very massive nerf. Just to name a few.

Guarded by the Light is a Prot talent.

Did you mean Speed of Light?

Yeah, sadly, it is getting nerfed pretty badly.
I was pointing out the basics. The thing that made Holy beastly in PvP was it's self healing factor. That's getting cut in half practically come the Shattering.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
A more realistic answer; though Holy is "viable" you will probably be better off having Retribution or Protection for leveling and saving Holy for when you want to healbot.

Hmm, I'm finding on beta, in Deepholm that Holy with dps talents is very nice. The mobs hit super hard and you are nearly invincible. It takes a bit longer to kill stuff, but you save time not doing corpse runs if you pull too much. I was pretty squishy as ret. Don't know on prot.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]