The purpose of Life Grip.

90 Blood Elf Priest
Blizzard advertised Life Grip as a proactive spell Holy priests can use to help prevent damage to allies. Though I am having a lot of trouble picture in just what situations Life Grip for Holy Priests can be proactive, as healing is very situational.

How will Life Grip be useful in anything other than a reactive sense - IE: Pulling bad dps out of avoidable damage situations. Its just reinforcing the play style that the onus is on healers to keep dps alive regardless of their bad choices.

What are some Proactive uses for Life Grip?
Edited by Shadue on 11/19/2010 5:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Running into the fire and Life Gripping a DPS into it
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
I've seen it put to incredible use in beta with the shadow priest I ran many 5-mans with.

The fact that you are sometimes in a better spot than someone else in the raid for any given situation is why it's such a great skill.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
Grief Grip, it's the only good thing about it.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
How will Life Grip be useful in anything other than a reactive sense - IE: Pulling bad dps out of avoidable damage situations. Its just reinforcing the play style that the onus is on healers to keep dps alive regardless of their bad choices.

Uh, pulling bad DPS out of avoidable damage before the damage actually happens? ;)

But srsly, the uses of the ability and the potential psychological influence it has are two different discussions. Do you really think Life Grip won't be useful, or do you take issue with having to be the raid's accident forgiveness program?
Edited by Believe on 11/19/2010 5:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Collecting money from DPS with an agreement not to pull them out of range of the boss during critical parts of their DPS rotation. >;-)
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Priest
Places I've wanted lifegrip in WotLK:

Start of Violet Hold, when someone is afk at the start. I want to pull them through the door and start the event.

When running between trash, I want to shield myself for B&S, lifegrip the tank to pull him forward and give him B&S, then cast shield on the tank for another B&S.

When someone DC's and they are standing in a bad spot, like for shadow traps on H LK.

When we are running back from a wipe and a rogue sprints by me. I want to lifegrip him back. :p

In AV when someone gets too ahead of the pack and horde start to swarm him.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
[quote]Do you really think Life Grip won't be useful, or do you take issue with having to be the raid's accident forgiveness program?

Well, I am confused just by how lifegrip should be used? Will it be used to compliment some future raid mechanic? Will we need to very selectively think about who we use it on and what situations? Or, is it just another random tool in the Holy Priest arsenal that is just 'there' for whatever random situation requires it..

Id like to think we can use it proactively and its not aa tool for pulling bad dps out of avoidable damage. I don't want to be the 'raid's accident forgiveness program'.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
When we are running back from a wipe and a rogue sprints by me. I want to lifegrip him back. :p

haha XD
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
I've seen it put to incredible use in beta with the shadow priest I ran many 5-mans with.

You mean pulling people next to a ledge and hope they run off? >.>

On a more serious note, it has a huge number of possibilities. Its a great save in PvP (range is longer than most gap closers) and even something like pulling a person who gets defile cast on them really far away would help a ton. You can also grip a tank to kite a boss for 1-2 seconds to give time for other heals to land.

Still, biggest use in PuGs will be to piss random DPS off.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
-Dragon starts casting a flame breath - Life Grip the tank into the raid

-KT gets ready to cast his Ice Tomb ability - Life Grip a DPS to see how far you can chain the ice tomb

-Sapphiron flies up to cast whatever-its-called-that-one-shots-you run out and quickily Life Grip the tank

-Suicide on the suislide with a random person by running into Van in AV with all his guards and Life Gripping someone

-Someone has been underwater too long and will soon drown, Life Grip them lower

-Anub is underground chasing you with his spikey awesomeness - Life Grip a DPS next to yourself

-Marrowgar always needs more cleave targets, Life Grip a DPS next to the tanks

-A pet is busy knocking those Kinetic Bombs up on Blood Council? Not this time. Life Grip.

-2nd boss in Pit of Saron starts chasing someone? Run next to boss.. LIFE GRIP!!!

It's going to be awesome.

Edited by Ozo on 11/19/2010 6:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
mmm all this talk of griefing makes me want to summon people off cliffs and down elevator shafts again
Reply Quote
10 Draenei Priest
I thought it was to pull people to your lightwell.

"Hey! Click this!"
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Chain gripping the mammoth when people are trying to repair.

Pulling the tank to you when there are adds attacking you and hes running ahead completely oblivious.

Pulling people out of targeted aoe.

Various PvP uses..

Its really good, probably one of the best if not THE best level 85 spell with all classes considered.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Get a dk and go to the top of LM

Levi the dk, he jumps off and DG's someone, then lifegrip the dk back.

See - through a maze of events and outliers it's possible not to grief with this.
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
If only you could lifegrip or deathgrip while falling :(
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
If only you could lifegrip or deathgrip while falling :(

Hence the levitate part (that works right?)
Reply Quote
84 Human Priest
Life Grip should be omg-wtf-amazing in any situation where body and soul is good--and there are many.

Some personal favorite thoughts from recent wotlk content:

-- Halion hard mode, shadow consumption drops a void zone that snares that player inside it. This can sometimes take quite a while to get out of, and Twilight Cutter as well as the void zone damage makes it very dangerous. Life Grip someone safely out of their void zone.

-- Infest can sometimes "trap" someone a good distance from the raid. Grip them back.

-- P3 Sindragosa, Grip a tank to a tomb to help clear their stack; especially useful during the tank transition that includes Blistering Cold.

-- Kiting for any reason? Putricide Orangered oozes, Prince balls of fire, Deformed Fanatic, Festergut Spore, Rotface Ooze, fleeing vile spirits.

It's an ability that many priests will struggle to use well; much like Body & Soul, some healers are just not actively concerned about raid positioning enough to know how effectively the ability can be used. It is definitely amazing though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]