Claims and Arguments need explanations

85 Undead Mage
I came across a post the other day regarding Ret paladins and a proposed gap closer

someone replied (and I am loosely quoting) Ret with a gap closer would be OP.

Why?

Why exactly in their current form would adding a gap closer make them OP? Is it hand of freedom? If so, WHY does having hand of freedom (which is dispellable) make it OP to have a gap closer?

Is it Long arm of the law? If so WHY? Why would it be OP? I have not seen anyone explain their claims or arguments, they just make them and expect people to just accept them without question

I can put to rest a few arguments I have heard.

1. Burst is too high: No it is not, and the ramp up time has taken care of frontloaded burst
2. Avenging wrath + Hammer of Wrath: Doesn't matter what range you are, in fact using a gap closer to get within melee range to use Hammer of wrath would be pointless and a waste of a gap closer. While I agree this mechanic is stupid and OP I don't see how a gap closer would affect that
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
i'm tired of seeing posts and threads by or about retribution paladins. seriously.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
Long Arm of the Law isn't a gap closer....?

If it's not, then neither is Ghost Wolf.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Long Arm of the Law isn't a gap closer....?

If it's not, then neither is Ghost Wolf.

but frostshock is
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
me too right? I wish they would just make the changes needed so we could all get back to playing
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I think by definition, Long Arm of the Law is a gap closer, in that it exists to reduce distance between you and a target.

The issue is that it's a mathematically ineffectual one. The boost that it gives over the short duration given the range limitations means it isn't actually going to get you all of the way most of the time.
Reply Quote
Because ret have has many range abilities, warriors have 1 on a long cooldown.

You can have a gap closer when all ret pally abilities become melee range only.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Long Arm of the Law is a good idea, but it needs to activate from any range and not just >15 yards. Sometimes that dude you're chasing is just 14 yards away and then you die a hideous death.

See I'd be okay with this as the only change. It would mean the skill to staying in range as a ret pally is to use your cleanse and judgment to stay as close as possible because it is when you get truly far that you run in to trouble. I think it could make a smart pally hard to shake, but it would be possible, and once shaken, they would have a harder time regaining ground.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
Ret needs either an instant gap closer with a stun or an immobilizing effect, or they need a snare plus a buffed long arm. i can run circles around a pally without them even touching me as frost. its not fair to make a melee's weakness mobility because then they dont even stand a chance.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin

"Many" is subjective.

Judgment: Ranged yes, but a light slap at most. That's okay, Judgment is a utility hit, we use it for resources and our speed boost, it doesn't need to hit hard.
Exorcism: Will oom you incredibly fast if you stand and cast, and hit for nothing. The Proc that make it worth casting comes from melee
Hammer of Wrath: Lets be honest, we'd all give up Wings+Hammer for better long term viability.

Is Judgment's light breeze really knotting your knickers?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage

idc about what warriors have. they are not a Pure dps, we should not be limited because of them.

warriors are good in pvp, buffing ret isnt going to change that.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
Ret needs either an instant gap closer with a stun or an immobilizing effect, or they need a snare plus a buffed long arm. i can run circles around a pally without them even touching me as frost. its not fair to make a melee's weakness mobility because then they dont even stand a chance.

Perhaps they could make it so that Repentance breaks on direct damage only, as opposed to any damage as it is now. It'd work as a decent gap closer without being instantly negated by your Censure.

but then ret's only cc (lol) will be used for something else. its nice to have tha repentance when you almost got the dps down and you need the healer to sit still for a few seconds.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]