Should I play a class that loses its theme?

I've played rogue since late vanilla and its been fun. I played rogue in d&d and I walked around in full red d leather with a dragon dagger in runescape. I love rogues, they are the dark assassins, the ones who strike undetected. It just seems elegant, and it was until recently.

Rogues had the ability to dictate their oponents moves and never get hit more than a few times if they played right (but it took forever to kill anything that way, I'm not for stunlocking from 100 to 0 unless it takes more than a minute or 2 and a full range of cooldowns, making it completely useless in group pvp). It was fun.

Now we get saddled with recuperate, the only thing that gave us a survivability buff for cataclysm, we now take damage instead of doing something rogue like and avoiding it. We lost the 10 seconds of stun despite still having low damage (as our only viable pvp spec) and how long pvp will last in cataclysm. Even ferals got to keep theirs and they do much more damage than rogues (not looking for feral nerfs, they aren't too far from balanced at 85).

So is there any possible way to bring the elegance back to the rogue class? Making us more about avoiding damage (not just through stuns but short cooldown abilities such as an evasion that makes us dodge the next 3 abilities or an ability simmilar to spell reflect but that just makes them miss).

In short I miss that roguey feeling that I got while playing a class, at 85 we are way too much like tanks with low damage (outside of the shadowdance cooldown) and less control.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
I just want to go back to pre 3.0 where I had 4piece/4piece with dual glaives.

Compared to then, rogues now are just so pathetic. Reroll man, you won't regret it.

Honestly bro we're more like warriors now due to our recup tanking and our lack of a proper stunlock we might as well go warrior. They take less skill, have more burst, and equal survivability. No more 1 mistake you're dead lol damage rogue.
Reply Quote
I get told a lot to reroll druid or warrior but it dosent work, I like the rogue theme, or atleast a darker theme, warlock might work if nothing is done to make rogues more roguelike.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
I'm sorry if Blizz brings that "vision" back to rogues then they will become to binary again; either you die w/o much fight or your target does.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
WOTLK envenom? LOL! If you think that was op you must not be playing the same game as me.

And in terms of my 4/4 glaives comment we needed all that gear to just COMPETE with war/druid. And you must be crazy if you're saying 70 sub was faceroll. Mace stun more maybe?
Edited by Fearlocked on 11/20/2010 10:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I just want to go back to pre 3.0 where I had 4piece/4piece with dual glaives.

Compared to then, rogues now are just so pathetic. Reroll man, you won't regret it.

Honestly bro we're more like warriors now due to our recup tanking and our lack of a proper stunlock we might as well go warrior. They take less skill, have more burst, and equal survivability. No more 1 mistake you're dead lol damage rogue.

I want to go back to Vanilla pre-Blind/Prep nerf. Then run around naked with a .9dps dagger and kill players. CS-Vanish-CS--CB-Evis-Blind->Repeat->Kill! :)
Nah, I'd actually prefer the Isle of Quel'Danas patch. Those were fun times.
---
Anyways. In the topic at hand. Rogues haven't lost their theme just yet. It's more on the lines, our theme lost it's... Umm.. viable-ness?. :P
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you do not enjoy it no longer, play something else.

I can deal with average at best pve damage as a rogue as long as pvp doesnt fall in to the gutter at 85.
Reply Quote
50 Tauren Druid
I thought this was a thread about Hunter's?
Reply Quote
are you seriously QQ'ing because you can't stunlock undergeared people anymore?

no I'm qqing because I have to tank damage now, there is no skill in keeping a 30 second buff up to not die.

I'd rather get a a happy medium between what was and what is currently. closer to how a frost mage plays (before they had rediculous damage) witht he use of short cooldowns at the right time to stay alive.
Edited by Redfang on 11/20/2010 1:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
cheap > kidney was pretty lame. Rogue theme seems fine to me. They haven't added much to it but it hasn't lost anything either.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
cheap > kidney was pretty lame. Rogue theme seems fine to me. They haven't added much to it but it hasn't lost anything either.

What impresses me about this post is that your guild tag actually moves into your post space.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue

Sub still has it's theme.

Combat and Assassination? No.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I am far from a pro rogue, but whenever I play warsong gulch, I really feel like an assassin that's stalking people. This is particularly true whenever I'm in any of the buildings; there are so many ways to drop combat and re-enter stealth through creative use of hallways etc.

The warden was probably my favorite hero class, and shadowstep really makes me feel like I'm playing one (it also helps that I'm a female night elf). I'm sad that hemo swords isn't viable (at least I think?) because that would make it even closer, but I'm glad they've breathed life into ambush and backstab.

And, honestly, assassins need to be able to survive extended combat; sometimes when you kill someone, they're a little tougher than you expected :P I think recuperate fits quite well with the theme.

If you are desperate for slippery, play a mage. We are the best class in the game :D
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
The most annoying thing about fighting a rogue was...

"You can't do that while stunned"

If you don't even have a chance to fight back vs your opponent, it's not fun.

Moo
Reply Quote

you mean besides the fact that we tank damage out of stealth most of the time now?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]