Druid tanking, Getting in the Flow

85 Night Elf Druid
I've had time to feel out how druid tanking works currently, and wanting to post my thoughts to see if there were any similar observations.

I noticed the correlation between Pulverize, Mangle, and Lacerate feels rather off. Currently it seems as though most of my Global Cooldowns are devoted to keeping Lacerate up, just to take it off again and start over. The proc relationship with the Mangle cooldown seems fine, but still it's just another GCD to burn while getting your Lacerate back up. It almost feels like the old Savage Roar mechanic come back in a way.

In short, skill order for bears just feels rather awkward. Perhaps the intention is that it doesn't come to its own until 85. But I'm re-leveling all of the tanking classes at the moment, and Paladins seem to have a great feel to them by mid 30s.

Just a discussion of mechanics, not OP or UP.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
The whole point is to get in as many Mangles as possible. Lacerate is only a filler ability after getting 1 application of it up.

Not quite sure what you're doing or what you are trying to say though :(
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
If you want your full Pulverize potential, you'll need 3. Not sure if you are reading the whole post, since I say my meaning rather clearly :(
Edited by Delondial on 11/20/2010 12:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
If you want your full Pulverize potential, you'll need 3. Not sure if you are reading the whole post, since I say my meaning rather clearly :(

If you don't somehow have 3 GCDs open in 18 seconds to apply 3 Lacerates there's something wrong.
Reply Quote
80 Orc Warrior
He's not saying he can't do it or that he's having a problem, not sure why you're taking such a "L2P" attitude toward him.

Anyway, I do understand what you're saying, Delondial. I had similar feelings, the Lacerates almost feel like combo points and it does seem a little clumsy at times.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Spot on.

Any ideas on whether this feels better at 85? Or at least if there are any ideas bouncing around to make it feel more fluent?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid

If you don't somehow have 3 GCDs open in 18 seconds to apply 3 Lacerates there's something wrong.

I don't think this discussion is for you. Have a nice day :D
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
I don't think this discussion is for you. Have a nice day :D

I'm still trying to figure out what you are talking about. If anything I'm finding that I don't have enough buttons to push. And after the Swipe nerf hits there'll be even fewer.

Although I suppose it'll just get replaced by Thrash. But still.

I think the Pulverize<->Lacerate interaction makes sense. Otherwise you don't really have a reason to get 3 stacks of it, it would just be a byproduct of spamming it on your free GCDs. At least this way there's an incentive to stack it higher, giving you a reward of a Threat and Mitigation increases at the end (albeit the Mitigation increase is minimal).

As for levelling the tanks, Bears don't get everything they need until 66 (which is rather short-sighted imo). Granted a Bear can technically function without having Lacerate available, but the other tank classes get all of their "necesarry" abilities way earlier in the levelling path.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
It is what it is. The only thing awkward about it is the timing lacerate ticks have with the GCD and Mangle cooldowns.

Certainly do feel that there is an issue there, thought I can't agree that it is the only thing. However it is what it is until the community comes up with something better. Just have to brainstorm a tad. The solution is in the discussion in my opinion.

It may be something as simple as making the Proc'd mangle off GCD but shortening the window available substantially. Not a great idea but certainly possible to build upon.

Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
It is what it is. The only thing awkward about it is the timing lacerate ticks have with the GCD and Mangle cooldowns.

Certainly do feel that there is an issue there, thought I can't agree that it is the only thing. However it is what it is until the community comes up with something better. Just have to brainstorm a tad. The solution is in the discussion in my opinion.

I do agree with this. I can't count the number of times a Mangle has procced during an inopportune moment where I was about to spend (or had just spent) the GCD on something else.

Making those procs off the GCD would go a long way to alleviating that awkward timing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
Believe me when I say that the lacerate tick timing with the GCD was brought up many times to the devs. It hasn't been changed. There are two ways to get around this:

start a new lacerate at the second GCD after a mangle (so Mangle > x > lacerate). Doing so this way requires good latency practice and timing (the ability queue system can actually help) as you will get a tick right after hitting mangle.

Start a new lacerate at the 3rd GCD after a mangle to eliminate latency problems with the above.

This would mean only hitting pulverize at the 1st or 2nd GCd after a mangle.

I believe Thrash will be used in single target and produce higher threat than lacerate, so priorities will change a little and having something extra to push will help you keep your timing.

I was talking to myself on my way to rock-climbing after reading this. It makes a lot of sense. I'll have to try it tonight.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]