Help your Ephie with her key-binds!

85 Undead Priest
Giant Squids,

It is up to you, oh great citizens of the 'hoof, to help your damsel in distress. For I love healing and melting face a great deal, and your heroine has very small hands and is prevented from towering over the keyboard like Abraham Lincoln. I should preface this by saying that I use ESDF for movement and WR are for strafing. I'm probably unwilling to give up my keyboard turn SF keys, but if you can make an argument for it I would consider it (and be eternally grateful.)

Here is what my current discipline key-binds look like:
http://img703.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20101121at707.png/

What I like about this setup is that all of my healing spells are accessable with my pinky and index fingers; pinky gets Greater Heal, Prayer of Healing, all the way down to Renew and Prayer of Mending while the index finger is allowed to smash Heal into oblivion.

But oh Ephie, Queen of Stormwind, what happens when you must dispense justice upon the unwashed masses and wash them in the canals of your great city?

Great question! I used to use the QAZ keys and their shift variants for shadow spells, but I have come to delight in healing spells taking that location. Thus the dilemma: where should your humbolt squidbringer put the face-melting?

Options I am considering to allow both healing and face melting at the same time:

a) I could use RDFG for movement, but that makes the shift bar inaccessable, thus creating the same problem anew. My mouse is one of those mice that has a ton of buttons on it, but over the years only the Power Word Shield button still works.

b) I have a fancy mouse that has lots of buttons, most of which don't work anymore (scrollwheel, for instance; the side buttons occasionally work.) Should I get clique and furiously bind my heals to a dying mouse? I'm assuming left click could be heal, right click could be flash heal, and so on and so on--I might be able to fit them all on a 7 button mouse, but in doing so would sacrifice convenient auto-run and mounting macros.

c) Use complicated macros with conditionals from hell that cast both healing spells and damage spells. This option is great because it lets me control every spell I like casting from QAZ G but the catch here is that I have to rely on rock-hard conditionals. I could see these macros fouling up if I have an enemy targeted while my mouse isn't hovering over anything and I want to cast a heal on myself, for instance. So if anyone knows any super awesome conditional macros that will never leave me in a bind, please share them!

Unfortunately alt and control buttons are fairly uncomfortable for me. : S

World Peace and Puppies,
--Eph
Edited by Ephie on 11/21/2010 4:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
Ephie, with my priest, I tend to just use Healbot, keep major cooldowns on the number line for PvE, and for PvP, I keep the major cooldowns on the number pad and damaging abilities on the number row. It is kind of odd, since for PvP, I just essentially use my middle and ring finger to use mouse keybinds and my index and thumb to hit the number pad. Not comfortable, but maximizes number of bindings for me personally.
Reply Quote
Personally I blink 12345qertfgvczyh + shift those + control those + 12 button mouse + shift mouse.

Mezu, our priest, uses 1 button that tabs between 2 different action bars. One of which is healing 12345qertfcv, and the other is dmg for the same keybinds.
Reply Quote
83 Draenei Priest
yay keybinds thread

Priests do have a ton of buttons, the main thing I've done to reduce the amount of physical keys to hit is to use target conditional macros for similar offensive and defensive spells. This was inspired by Pennance, I wished all my spells did something like that, so I set about making it happen.

I'll dump a few things here for example.

/use [harm] Smite; Greater Heal
/use [harm] Holy Fire; Binding Heal
/use [harm] Devouring Plague; Cure Disease
/use [harm] Shadow Word: Pain; Renew
/use [harm] Mind Blast; Flash Heal

These certainly take some getting used to, and if you are like me and frequently healed yourself with an enemy targeted - you'll probably get killed a few times learning them.
The end result however, was that my offensive spells were on the same natural and easy to hit keys as my core healing spells, helping me think less about buttons and more about playing the game.

It might seem awkward to self target for each spell if you are in the habit of clicking your own unitframe with your mouse, which is where these macros come in handy;

#showtooltip Dispel Magic
/tar [nomod,@player]
/use [mod:shift,@player] Dispel Magic

/tar [nomod,@party1]
/use [mod:shift,@party1] Dispel Magic

/tar [nomod,@party2]
/use [mod:shift,@party2] Dispel Magic

/use [@mouseover,exists][] Dispel Magic

obviously these were made with 3v3 arenas in mind, and I positioned them at my equivalent of where your S D F keys are. This makes them extremely quick to hit, and while I struggled for a couple weeks to get used to dual-use keys and targeting keys, I think the end result was a dramatic improvement in the speed that a command could go from my head to being done in game.

I use the top three keys for movement because they include the full range of useful keyboard movement commands - forward and side strafing. the bottom three movement keys range from worthless (mouselook > keyboard turn) to very rare situational (backpedal)
and are at such prime key locations that it seems like a shame to waste them on keys that are (almost) never used.

now my secrets are out and I will be replaced :(
Edited by Noxyja on 11/21/2010 1:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
You don't need many healing spells bound to be honest, get Clique and bind to your mouse + modifiers. Exemplified in this screenshot.

http://i.imgur.com/k8m7I.jpg
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
I use:

QWE
ASD
ZXC

Shift + those, Control+those (plus Q/E/Z/X/C without modifiers).

It makes it really easy to access everything I need without moving my hands at all. Since numbers require moving my hands a bit more, I save those for stuff I don't do often (changing auras, controlling pet, etc). And my clique is much like Pido's, with left and right mouse buttons without modifiers as my most used spells (and I bind control+left click to target and control+right click to open right click menu).
Reply Quote
83 Draenei Priest
You don't need many healing spells bound to be honest, get Clique and bind to your mouse + modifiers.

And my clique is much like Pido's, with left and right mouse buttons without modifiers as my most used spells (and I bind control+left click to target and control+right click to open right click menu).

D:
wouldn't recommend that for pvp, but to each their own i suppose!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
May I also suggest Opie.

http://www.go-hero.net/opie/get

It's a flyout ring of abilities you can customize to any key. I use it for seals and auras on my paladin, but it can also be used to hold Quest items, Professions, and Consumables :)

Like so,

http://i.imgur.com/Iyzmn.jpg
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

D:

I could see your point in losing control temporarily of your mouse, and I would think that macro's for party members would be better as you can retain full mobility.

I mostly PvE however, so take the advice with that in mind Ephie.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
lol the only things i have bound are 1-6 and cntrl an shift 1-6

u really dont need that many buttons to be good at this game
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
You don't need many healing spells bound to be honest, get Clique and bind to your mouse + modifiers.

And my clique is much like Pido's, with left and right mouse buttons without modifiers as my most used spells (and I bind control+left click to target and control+right click to open right click menu).

D:

It's okay, I use my keyboard to move, so my mouse is always free to play whack a mole with hp bars.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest

Giant Squids,

Leddhoof! I'm glad to see you back! Thanks to all your replies; I have a few follow-up questions:

Egb: I desperately need to figure out how to pull that off. It would probably be perfect for me, especially if I could make the toggle button caps lock or tilde. Do you happen to know a good time I could log on and talk to Mezu, or could you direct her or him to this thread? Because if it's a simple process to shift both numeral and letter bars with just one button, well, that opens up a ton of options for me.

Pido: You're the only person I've ever met that keeps their chat channels in the same place as me, you know--in the upper left hand corner. Win! But do you mind if I ask you why? Everyone that sees my wow ui in person mocks me for keeping my chat box there : S Also thanks for the recommendation on the mod, I might have to get that for my pally.

Noxyja: I've been using a mouse over disspell macro for general offensive and defensive stuff in conjunction with a disspell-self macro bound to my D key (I use shift D for backpedaling.) I'm planning on mostly just goofing off in Stormwind solo for Cata, but having quick access to party wide disspells would really rock. Would you recommend binding F1-F4 as party disspells?

Giant Squids and thanks for all of your replies. Except Arkeus. Ok. Even Arkeus. I should have also noted that once I get my real computer up and running I'm going back to the near screenshot mode UI, so I'm not exactly fond of anything that takes up real-estate : S

World Peace and Puppies,
--Eph
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Most dangers of raiding appear by your feet, I like that spot open to see. Plus aesthetically is balances out my minimap on the right.

I like it there, dunno, feels normal :P

Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest

Giant Squids,

<3<3 But what will you do if angry parrots descend upon you from the upper-left? What then I ask ye!

World Peace and Puppies,
--Eph
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
By then I fear it may already be too late... D:
Reply Quote
83 Draenei Priest
Would you recommend binding F1-F4 as party disspells?

if your fingers and keyboard make that an ergonomic solution that seems like really good placement for wer/sdf movement!

as for the action bar macro I think egb is referring to mezu using the 12 keys - 12345qertfcv on his main action bar, and simply using
/swapactionbar 1 2
which is a very similar solution, just based on hitting that key rather than on your target!
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest

Giant Squids,

Interesting. When I went to keybinding all of my abilities during mid TBC I got the mod that was Dominos before it was named Dominos and just made a bunch of bars into what looked like a keyboard layout, then proceeded to place abilities on the virtual keyboard. Placing, say, QAZ 3X TG all on one bar would probably work if I can get bartender to go for it. I'll have to experiment this weekend if I can get my computer online.

So pretty much the /swapactionbar 1 2 can switch between any two action bars? I don't want to mess with actionbar 1 because that has my 123456789 junk on it, and if I can't press - in a timely fashion how will I ever chain undead! But if I set, say, bars 8 and 9 as the QAZ 3X G bars it could def. work out well. Thanks a bunch for your assistance <3<3<3<3

World Peace and Puppies,
--Eph
Reply Quote
83 Draenei Priest
speaking strictly of the default UI, I think the only action bar that can be toggled is the main bar, so if we were working with just that we would rebind 123456etc... to the bottom-left action bar, to make it static and use the main action bar for your fancy keys.

if we're working with bartender, I'd imagine everything is 'pageable' under its
'State Configuration -> ActionBar Paging' menus, but I'd need to be looking at the gui to help you more than that
Reply Quote
Bz stealing my spotlight. Jerk.

edit: And the one time I actually decide to be helpful, too.
Edited by Egb on 11/22/2010 12:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
83 Draenei Priest
i knew the positivity would tire you out quickly, wouldn't want that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]