BOAs! Overpowered or not? (you earned it)

80 Dwarf Warrior
I know alot of people complain about stuff, and still play for wow, im just concerned Because my friend got to level 27 and just quit playing because of the BG situation. I tried to tell him that it is more balanced at level 80. But he just lost his will to play and insists the game is all about gear and classes, no skill.

Unfortunate, but it sounds like it just wasn't the right kind of game for your friend.

The game IS largely about gear and classes rather than skill. If putting your skill against others is the primary goal, then another game is probably a better choice.

WoWs strengths are elsewhere.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Boa gear is fine, I don't use it at all and have no problem beating those that do choose to use it.
Chances are there is an item that is just as good if not better at your level when compared to a boa piece. Just do some research, get a higher level to help you get your item, enchant it and be ready to pvp. Very simple.

A 29 Mage with a ~60 SP weapon and gear with stats 5-10 levels above his item level is not fine...

The fact that you can beat them ocassionally doesn't make it fine. Gratz, though.

Not to mention the Trinkets that can be stacked, and new players do not have access to those at all, so twinks and rerollers have - for all practical purposes - extra gear slots compared to new players, on top of BoA items that scale ridiculously well.
Edited by Trensharo on 11/22/2010 3:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
Boa gear is fine, I don't use it at all and have no problem beating those that do choose to use it.
Chances are there is an item that is just as good if not better at your level when compared to a boa piece. Just do some research, get a higher level to help you get your item, enchant it and be ready to pvp. Very simple.

A 29 Mage with a ~60 SP weapon and gear with stats 5-10 levels above his item level is not fine...

The fact that you can beat them ocassionally doesn't make it fine. Gratz, though.

Not to mention the Trinkets that can be stacked, and new players do not have access to those at all, so twinks and rerollers have - for all practical purposes - extra gear slots compared to new players, on top of BoA items that scale ridiculously well.

Hardly anyone even bothers to get the trinkets, and for those that do, the trinkets barely matter at all when it comes to gearing. Getting the insignia is very easy, only 50 or so honor now, just a few bgs.
Reply Quote
19 Night Elf Rogue

Don't lump us in with the BoA crowd. We have our own queues and are rather happy that we don't have to deal with new/undergeared players.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
I wouldn't mind if BoAs were toned down a lot for leveling. As long as they stay better than greens, I can still use them for the main purpose of just getting to ignore low level gearing and still be able to access all of the content appropriate for the level.

It does get better at higher levels, as +29 SP or +100 health becomes less significant at higher levels. It's still not great, and the classes are clearly still way out of balance while leveling, but it does get mildly better.

There will also probably be a pass at making leveling more balanced and fun like 6 months after the expansion hits or so. You might try inviting your friend back at that time to see if he likes the game any better.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
aus
Bloodied Arcanite Reaper is the best 2her in the game except for levels 60 and 70, due to raid gear. Same goes for most of the other melee weapons.

The warrior quest reward axe is pretty nice, heck the genuine arcanite reaper is better then its boa cousin at the right level. Besides I see people complaining about rogues and mages. They dont use the arcanite reaper.
Player power and scaling is way too good 1-79 atm. Boa contribute but only because scaling is so wacked. Who does not have a 80 thee days? even the op had one,we can only presume he did'nt want to pay server transfer fees.

Edited by Mate on 11/22/2010 3:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
49 Night Elf Warrior
I don't think BOAs are OP. If he thinks PVP with BOAs was bad, he should have seen it before the XP-OFF feature. BIS gear was much better than BOA and you had the bracket campers in guilds called "Dun Wurry Im Pro" 2 shotting everyone then bragging about it. I never see BOA players brag.

So much ridiculous hyperbole and misinformation in this post, I don't even know where to begin. It would probably be more productive to just down-rate it as trolling, but... /sigh

1. BoAs are BiS in quite a few slots, hence the reason so many xp-off twinks still wear them. Hint: If their xp is off... they aren't wearing them for the xp gain.

2. Just to reiterate... the very idea that "BIS gear was much better than BOA" is absolutely false and ridiculous. Period. Utterly ridiculous. The Bloodied Arcanite Reaper is better even at 69 than the best quest blue available (Axe of Frozen Death) by a very large margin.

3. Every low-level BG I've done for the past 4-5 months has had some random Lx7 or x8 in full BoAs laughing in BG chat about what a "beast" they are and informing everyone of their greatness every time they kill another undergeared opponent.

In short... yeah, I don't think a post could be as wrong as yours without being an intentional attempt at trolling.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
aus
The Bloodied Arcanite Reaper is better even at 69 than the best quest blue available (Axe of Frozen Death) by a very large margin.

Bloodied Arcanite Reaper is 118 dps at 69 yea? The exact same dps as axe of frozen death. I would be very suprised a axe of frozen death with berskerking is sub par to a reaper with crusader
Reply Quote
49 Night Elf Warrior
actually at almost every level level blues/epics from dungeons at that level are slightly better than BoAs, with the random dungeon que and all you should never be too far behind.

Imo a big portion of what makes people think BoAs are so overpowered is that the people using BoAs already have level 80s, and just as a general rule of thumb someone that has been playing for a few months/years is going to know how to play the game better than someone that started a week ago.

There are situations now, thanks to the RFD blues, where certain pieces of gear are actually (very very) slightly superior to BoAs. As a general rule though, and especially during the days that the person I responded to was referencing, this was absolutely not the case. There were no "of the bandit" or "of the soldier" blues for lowbies when BoAs were first released.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
The Bloodied Arcanite Reaper is better even at 69 than the best quest blue available (Axe of Frozen Death) by a very large margin.

Bloodied Arcanite Reaper is 118 dps at 69 yea? The exact same dps as axe of frozen death. I would be very suprised a axe of frozen death with berskerking is sub par to a reaper with crusader

Meh, it's a toss up between the two really. It all depends on if you're hit capped already or not imo.
Edited by Mynînjâ on 11/22/2010 3:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
49 Night Elf Warrior

BAR is 121 dps at 69. It's also .2 swing speed slower, which leads to it having a printed top-end of 551 compared to the AoFD's 513. The BAR also trades a pinch of hit rating in exchange for having 8 more str, 12 more stam, and 2 more crit rating. Outside of procs from enchants, the BAR will consistently see higher damage from weapon-damage based special attacks. Inside of procs, depending on class, the difference between the AP proc from Berserking and the Str proc from Crusader will be minimal, but the AofD will likely come out slightly ahead.

In other words... as a general rule, the BAR is a straight-up better weapon. During procs, the AoFD will very slightly (if at all) out-perform it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]