Shaman: Deep Healing mechanic clarification

85 Orc Shaman
My question is how a percentage of health maps to a percentage of deep healing bonus.

Say, for simplicity, someone had enough mastery for up to 40% deep healing bonus, how much of that would apply to someone at 25% health? 50%? 75%? 100%?

Is it linear from dead to full health?

ie. (maxHealingBonus)*(1-(remainingHealth)/(maxHealth))=bonusHealing ?
85 Orc Shaman
Yes look at this tread on EJ

http://elitistjerks.com/f79/t102964-resto_cataclysm_theorycrafting_updated_oct_13_a/p2/#post1746215
85 Orc Shaman
Yes look at this tread on EJ

http://elitistjerks.com/f79/t102964-resto_cataclysm_theorycrafting_updated_oct_13_a/p2/#post1746215

Thanks a lot!
90 Draenei Shaman
I'll make is easy. Someone has 50% bonus to deep healing (which is easily possible in cata preraid gear) and they use their goto heal which heals for 10k

target at 100% hp: 10k heal
target at 75% hp: 11.75k heal
target at 50% hp: 12.5k heal
target at 1% hp: 15k heal
85 Goblin Shaman
Seems mediocre. Not "it has no value" bad, but definitely not something I'd stack over crit, haste, int... or spirit (depending on how my mana holds up in Cata).

On the flip side, I like my Mastery when I spec over to Elemental.
90 Draenei Shaman
Seems mediocre. Not "it has no value" bad, but definitely not something I'd stack over crit, haste, int... or spirit (depending on how my mana holds up in Cata).

On the flip side, I like my Mastery when I spec over to Elemental.

It depends. There is a mathamatical break even point where long as whoever you heal is below that %, your points in mastery have more value than your points in haste or crit. I have no idea what it would be though.

Think of it this way. with 50% mastery, every one of your heals will be minimum 25% stronger as long as your target is below 50% hp. How many points of haste are needed to gain 25% throughput increase vs those same points in mastery. Thats the question. Like I said, there will be a break even point where at a certain hp value of your target, a point in master == a point in haste. if you heal someone above that hp value, you're wasting throughput stats by having mastery. If you're below that hp %, mastery is your best stat.

A lot will come down to healing style and raid awareness. I predict mastery will be a lot more valuable for progression than it will be for farming..
90 Draenei Shaman
I wouldn't worry about mastery, we won't use. Avoid gear with it, and reforge out of it if an upgrade is an upgrade.

this could very easily be false. do you know the break even % point where mastery is our best stat?
90 Night Elf Druid
I wouldn't worry about mastery, we won't use. Avoid gear with it, and reforge out of it if an upgrade is an upgrade.

this could very easily be false. do you know the break even % point where mastery is our best stat?

1%

/sigh, why do people post when they have no idea what they're talking about? Shaman crits give 195% throughput on single target and 150% on CH. So each crit gives an additional 95% to 50% throughput. That translates to each % of crit = .5%-.95% more throughput. Each % of mastery gives up to 2.5% more throughput.

It's not difficult to figure out the break-even, on CH if your target's below 80% Mastery gives a bigger boost. On LHW/HW/GHW, it's 62%.

Edit: Should add that haste doesn't improve hpm, which is a big deal on some fights.
Edited by Faveokatro on 11/22/2010 11:46 AM PST
85 Goblin Shaman

. Mastery does not give 2.5% more throughput PER 1 mastery, UNLESS the target is at 1% health. In cata raids, everyone is usually around 90+% unless a decimate effect occurs which people get topped off early.

the phrase "up to" wants a word with your reading comprehension.
90 Draenei Shaman

1%

/sigh, why do people post when they have no idea what they're talking about? Shaman crits give 195% throughput on single target and 150% on CH. So each crit gives an additional 95% to 50% throughput. That translates to each % of crit = .5%-.95% more throughput. Each % of mastery gives up to 2.5% more throughput.

It's not difficult to figure out the break-even, on CH if your target's below 80% Mastery gives a bigger boost. On LHW/HW/GHW, it's 62%.

. Mastery does not give 2.5% more throughput PER 1 mastery, UNLESS the target is at 1% health. In cata raids, everyone is usually around 90+% unless a decimate effect occurs which people get topped off early.

I want to raid in your guild where noone ever goes below 90% hp...
90 Night Elf Druid
Moreover, if nobody ever goes below 90% does what stats you have really matter? He's right in that most of the time raids will be sitting high but that's when retopping people isn't hugely relevant. Abilities like Wind Burst that knock everyone for 50k are the real threats.

the phrase "up to" wants a word with your reading comprehension.

He's pretty hopeless, I don't think people realize how high the breaking point is for mastery to be better than crit. And haste doesn't improve hpm, so whether or not you get that is a constraint on mana in your raid. Although FWIW, the breaking point for haste is 60% although it's far more consistent than crit.

Whether up to or not was stated, after a lot of testing by shamans mastery is adjusted by % health. Meaning, per point of mastery the shaman gains 0.025% increased healing per 1% health loss.

Yes... that is why the topic of discussion is the breaking point where mastery becomes a better throughput stat than crit or haste. And as stated, anything less than 80% where you use CH, mastery gives a greater benefit. Anything less than 62% where you use a single target heal, mastery gives a greater benefit. Anything less than 60%, mastery is better than haste. The breaking point is FAR from 1% health.
Edited by Faveokatro on 11/22/2010 12:20 PM PST
90 Night Elf Druid
Respond to the rest of my post.
90 Draenei Shaman
Yes... that is why the topic of discussion is the breaking point where mastery becomes a better throughput stat than crit or haste. And as stated, anything less than 80% where you use CH, mastery gives a greater benefit. Anything less than 62% where you use a single target heal, mastery gives a greater benefit. Anything less than 60%, mastery is better than haste. The breaking point is FAR from 1% health.

May I ask where you have come up with these wonderful numbers?

he explained it. Weather they are accurate is a topic of debate as my brain is too tired to confirm. But he has the right idea, to actually figure out where the breaking point is. And there WILL BE one.

Basically I think of it like this. Lets say I have a 1000 points of stats. (which is perfectly viable) If they are all in haste, that increases my hps by X amount. If I instead put them into mastery, at what hp % does my target need to be at to increase my hps more than 1000 points of haste. Thats the breaking point.
85 Goblin Shaman

Because we are the only healer healing.

who cares if there are other healers healing as well? because there are more than 1 healer, it's ok for you to do a lousy job?

I mean, that's basically what you're saying here - "Wind Burst happens, my mastery is really great because everyone is at 10% hp, but who cares? There are other healers topping them off, too."

Do you realize how silly a statement that is? I don't think you do.

Where did you receive these stats? From all the shamans I speak with and from experience mastery reduces our HPS over crit/haste rendering it useless considering fight mechanics.

He actually sat down and did some math and started calculating the break points. All you've done is worship the word of some beta resto shamans and study logs that include shamans still stuck in WOTLK healing mindsets.

This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]