Best leveling spec since patch?

100 Tauren Druid
I heard affliction a lot back then, but now I'm wondering if that's still true since the lastest big patch. I'm planning on leveling a lock when the shattering occurs and ive noticed conflag is now a lvl10 ability which looks rather interesting.

Opinions?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I heard affliction a lot back then, but now I'm wondering if that's still true since the lastest big patch. I'm planning on leveling a lock when the shattering occurs and ive noticed conflag is now a lvl10 ability which looks rather interesting.

Opinions?

Demo is probably the best leveling spec at the moment. Destro is great for single target mobs, but demo has a lot more mitigation at higher levels.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Aff is still best, though that is because you have a high killing speed and take little to no damage. Of course this will be subject to change once the patch hits. Destro can kill mobs fast because they have low health, and demo can have their FG tank because mobs don't hit hard. In the shattering however mobs hit harder and have more health, so how effective they will be depends on what we see...
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Mobs are going to be tougher even pre-cata content? If so, love this, leveling 1-70 is way too easy, even 70-80... Guess we have to blame BoAs.
Reply Quote
65 Gnome Warlock
None of my alts have BOAs. Leveling is as easy as watching a screensaver now.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Demo is by far the best leveling spec. You'll rarely take any damage at all due to your trusty Felguard.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Demo.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
Everyone I talk to says Aff or Demo, but the truth is that it's incredibly easy with any spec of any class. Aff and Demo might allow you to take on more powerful enemies (groups of mobs 10 levels above you), you never really need this ability. Destro still allows you to absolutely destroy everything you touch, and therefore can move more quickly between mobs. In most cases, if you accidentally pull a high level mob and 3 of his friends, 1 or 2 of them will be dead when they get to you, and you will have taken very little damage before they're all dead.

In conclusion, Demo and Aff are the sturdiest leveling specs in that it's impossible for you to die, but Destro will get you through the game much faster if that's what you're going for. Also it's nice to 2-shot everything.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock

Opinions?

Demo is probably the best leveling spec at the moment. Destro is great for single target mobs, but demo has a lot more mitigation at higher levels.

Destruction can blow any XP MOB up before it gets to you, so it doesn't need as much mitigation as Demo.

Also, Destruction mitigation isn't that far behind Demonology (outside of Meta).

It's so sad to see Affliction looking so damn terrible compared to the other two specs :<

I personally think destruction would be faster since you shouldn't have any downtime to begin with, and it will have a higher killspeed.

Destruction with full Heirlooms FTW (+20% XP, +4% Max Mana per kill).

Also, unless you are a twink with a bunch of hit raiting you will be missing so many spells (and pet missing hits) on MOBs 10 levels above you that it isn't even funny. You wouldn't last long.

Affliction/Demo were never specs that XP'd on packs of mobs 5-10 levels above them. Hell, since grinding is almost non-existent in this game, no one has probably tried that seriously because there would be no quests you can get in an area full of mobs 10 levels above you.
Edited by Trensharo on 11/22/2010 9:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Guess I'll go destro for plain leveling and if I have elites to kill, I'll keep a demo spec to spare.. unless afflic is better versus elites?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
@Thesuccubus: Aff takes little to no damage due to CoX, and your minion takes even less.

@Felsprocket: Destro is considered the worst of the three for very good reasons. First, while the 2-shoting of mobs in impressive, it isn't that great compared to other classes and specs now. For example, my rogue is 2-shoting mobs 5 levels above him, and my hunter runs up to mobs because they die before he reaches them. Destro also sucks when handling mobs due to complete reliance on blowing mobs up before they get to you. This isn't so noticeable when mobs are spread out like the boars of HFP, but it gets REALLY tedious when you are pulling one mob at a time in groups and have to be extra careful because of adds, or you just killing one at a time knowing by the time you have killed the third you could have cleaned out the entire area as demo or aff. However the biggest problem with destro is the CDs. True conflag has an 8 second CD(glyphed) but compared to demo who can grab a couple mobs at once or aff who can pull non-stop with instant-casts, it really slows you down.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED destro when leveling this guy, but after awhile the CD on conflag made me crazy, and after I got over the "explosions" of destro I was a lot of it's weaknesses. If you fly in, blow a single mob up, then fly away, then destro might be faster. However in most cases, you will be better off as aff or even demo than going destro, though it is fun IMO...

@Trensharo: I just would like to add that due to how easy leveling is now I have been taking my rogue and hunter and tryign to find the hardest quests I could do. My hunter was killing multiple mobs 8 levels above him, elites 5 levels, etc. with ease, and my rogue has been working on quests that are red to him with red-level mobs and has been 2-shoting them with ease(he has no heirlooms at all). While hunters and rogues don't have the same grindibility that warlocks have for leveling fast and to break the monotony, it probably wouldn't be much trouble to take on mobs 10 levels above you, though you would probably need the VW and could only take on one at a time...

@Everyone: This all changes in a couple hours though. I have a lot to do plus am on break so I probably will barely look at warlock leveling until I make my Worgon one, but more mob health and more mob damage, as well as all-new leveling gear(with more stam) is a major game-changer so don't be looking for advice now, or even right after the patch, as you probably won't find any good advice for awhile...
Reply Quote
... a whole lotta text on opinion ...

Considering I started my lock post 4.0, and level'd him: Destro is my favorite spec.
Demo was only used for unsnarable elites, nothing more. Afflic isnt my style, I dropped it at level 20 or something (when I got my happy go lucky face)

All 3 specs are very viable with single or multi target killspeed.
All 3 have different rotations, and targeting/casting priorities.

The only reason why one spec is better then another is PLAYSTYLE
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
I have one toon of each class, around the same level (30-41), with roughly the same quality of gear, and fighting the same mobs.

My Feral Druid and Enhancement Shaman were doing higher DPS at Level 30 than my Affliction Warlock is at 41...

Both my Prot Paladin and Prot Warrior do about 40-50% more DPS than my Affliction Warlock at Level 41, and they each have far superior self-healing and the ability to pull many more mobs.

And all this is before the 12% nerf...

Levelling is not hard, just slower and more tedious. My experience is that Affliction is horrible around levels 25-41.

Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
DPS is a horrible judge for leveling. My enh shammy can often kill mobs quickly with a little storm(strike), earth(shock), and fire(lava lash) but if they survive that then the rate I take off their health drops severely. The best judges for leveling is the killing speed and time spent on each mob.

As for pulling more mobs, try using CoX along with dots and go crazy pulling everything. A lot slower than what drain tanking used to be, but significantly faster than what others can do.

Of course by the time you read this the old world won't exist, so all of this is moot in a couple hours...
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
DPS is a horrible judge for leveling. My enh shammy can often kill mobs quickly with a little storm(strike), earth(shock), and fire(lava lash) but if they survive that then the rate I take off their health drops severely. The best judges for leveling is the killing speed and time spent on each mob.

I appreciate the advice, but I'm not sure I understand the distinction between "killing speed" and DPS. If we are talking about N mobs with a given amount of health, how are DPS and time spent on each mob any different?

It sounds like maybe you mean burst vs. sustained, but the DPS numbers I cited are aggregates over an hour or more of questing and killing things.

As for pulling more mobs, try using CoX along with dots and go crazy pulling everything. A lot slower than what drain tanking used to be, but significantly faster than what others can do.

I have tried this some, but the results didn't encourage me to make a habit of it. My impression is that I roughly break even with DoT-kiting on 3 mobs, and would only really gain by pulling 4+.

At some point, of course, you must be right - assuming none of the mobs are casters, CoX doesn't resist, and the Imp doesn't die from tanking each of them in turn. :D

I should try to see if I can do it more effectively, but I'd need to double my current DPS to reach the level my Enhancement Shaman and Feral Druid get by (essentially) face-rolling, which seems...ambitious.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]