Disrespect for healers

85 Night Elf Priest
I went pugging on beta today and I ended up in a group where the first thing said was:

"Where is heal."

I had only just loaded in and was picking up the quests quickly. I ran over to where the group was, mentioned that 'heal' had a name, and before I could even get my buffs up the tank pulled a group of 4 or so.

I somehow managed to keep the group alive on the shammie that I had just created and was playing for the first time as resto with the new talents, but I could hardly drink up before the next group was pulled.

No CC, interupts, or anything that could help. No, just good old wrath pulling and when I didn't managed to keep the group up on the third pull I got called a noob and was told that I should be dispelling.

I asked if we could please CC some targets and was met with more rudeness. So I offered to leave so they could find another healer.

Problem is when I leave a group because I don't want to put up with the rudeness I am also the one who gets slapped with a dungeon timer while the rest of the group can happily keep going.

I'd rather take the debuff than stay with people like this, but still it hardly seemed like a good deal, and it definitely doesn't motivate me much to go pugging.

Anybody have suggestions on how to deal with this sort of nonsense?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Game balanced on the back of healers, not much you can do about it. Long as the standards remain roughly the same for DPS/Tanks, they'll keep acting as they've have been for the last 2 years. You might reach a few with a reasonable request, but most will keep on LOLGOGOGO to their hearts desire.

Only thing you can do? Don't pug until you have a silly amount of gear.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
If it proves to be a persistent problem in Cataclysm, my first option will be to form groups with friends or even pugged from my own server. Even more so since I'm a bit wary of the lack of a proper loot priority system in the dungeon finder.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
Just do what I do. Port out of the instance right before a pull... watch them all die and then laugh at them from Dalaran/Orgrimmar and just let them know that you are drinking and will be back in a bit.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Just do what I do. Port out of the instance right before a pull... watch them all die and then laugh at them from Dalaran/Orgrimmar and just let them know that you are drinking and will be back in a bit.
Haha.

"Hey, since you pulled without checking on my mana, I'll be here at The Legerdemain Lounge. Let me know when you're all back from your corpse run, and if I'm done enjoying my glass of Dalaran Red, I'll join you guys. Maybe you should stop pulling like you've got endgame gear, then we could totally enjoy playing together more. I would like that a lot."
Edited by Kyrisa on 11/22/2010 6:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
I had the same experience as Resto the other night and, for lack of skill and gear, I had a tough time keeping the group alive. I offered to leave and the group all voted me out, you could avoid the debuff that way.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Premades come with really good gear now. This means the people who never used CC before still aren't, and some better players are also stepping up the expectations placed on healers.

You should also request to get kicked out of the group to avoid the debuff.

Did you even tell the group that was your first time healing with a new resto shaman on beta? Players are going to assume you know how to play your class unless you say otherwise, just like on live.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

There is no need for this. Even if things don't work out, you can still retain basic courtesy. At the very worst, I'd say something like:

"I'm sorry, folks, this just isn't working out. I'll be doing some questing until the dungeon cooldown expires, but feel free to remove me at any time. Alternatively, you may want to do some questing yourselves to pass the time."
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Did you even tell the group that was your first time healing with a new resto shaman on beta? Players are going to assume you know how to play your class unless you say otherwise, just like on live.

This doesn't change the fact that the players seemed to be socially dysfunctional. There's no reason to shout insults at the healer when something isn't working out as expected, especially when most likely they themselves shared a good part of the blame.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I hate people that refer to others by their role. "WHAR IS TANK"

They let you pick a name for a reason
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I hate people that refer to others by their role. "WHAR IS TANK"

They let you pick a name for a reason

Same. Though, sometimes I can't really force myself to type out certain names (when they are evidence of everything from functional illiteracy to obscenity). In that case, people just have to live with being called "tank" or "mage".
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Just implement bail strat. You let them die and disconnect. You will be kicked after about 2 minutes and will have no dungeon timer. Don't wait on them to kick you because it will be endless sh*t talking. Pay them no heed, as they are just some wotlk peasant rerolls that have no idea how to do heroics BC style.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
I will be avoiding the dungeon finder like the plague.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
If they pull while I'm drinking or whatever I just continue drinking. If they wipe, they wipe. If they complain I tell them to kick me and get another healer or stop pulling so fast.

On the flip side of that, when I'm on my tank I can't count the number of times I've had a healer who gets impatient and starts pulling groups on their own. I just step back and let them get crushed.

Cata stands to be a huge system shock for a lot of players.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

This doesn't change the fact that the players seemed to be socially dysfunctional. There's no reason to shout insults at the healer when something isn't working out as expected, especially when most likely they themselves shared a good part of the blame.

True enough, but I have found I am far more likely to have people treat me kindly and help through a learning experience when being upfront about it. I hope the original poster tried that, as it seems to work better than not being upfront. Sometimes people quit in response, but I figure they're probably not mentally capable of exhibiting even a mild amount of patience and understanding anyways.

I am sorry, but I just do not have the knowledge or power to suggest how to prevent people from shouting insults without appropriate reason on the Internet or WoW in general. I can only provide very situational solutions I have found, and unfortunately even those have far less success than I would hope.
Edited by Totemtoter on 11/22/2010 8:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I intend on doing the new instances with friends and guildies, or the occasional server PUG. This goes for all of my toons. My dps toons will likely not do any of the new dungeons until level cap.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
I tried one heroic pug on beta. Not all the members knew the first boss fight. No interrupts. And one of the players got knocked into an extra group of mobs. We somehow killed the boss, but died from the extra mobs -- of course I couldn't keep the group up from that... : / The tank got pissy and left. That was my first and last heroic pug. lol
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
I've been leveling this toon to get to 80 before the expansion and so pugging is just a fact of life. Run into many rude groups and many good ones, and quite a few that are completely forgettable.

I used to get upset about rudeness or bad playing (DK frost specced tank?? HUH?) but lately I just remind myself a few things:

1) It's a game, no one is actually on fire or bleeding

2) there's a very good chance the bad/rude/ignorant player is a 12 year old and I am a grown man. Someone has to be mature, might as well be me.

3) No run is ever perfect and having to handle bad pulls actually, in the long run, makes me a better healer. I'd rather learn to handle the hard stuff in pugs than in a raid with my guildmates.

All in all I try to enjoy the game and not let a few ignorant people ruin MY fun.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Haha.

"Hey, since you pulled without checking on my mana, I'll be here at The Legerdemain Lounge. Let me know when you're all back from your corpse run, and if I'm done enjoying my glass of Dalaran Red, I'll join you guys. Maybe you should stop pulling like you've got endgame gear, then we could totally enjoy playing together more. I would like that a lot."

lol similar to what i do, except i don't port out. I just sit and drink until my manna is full, and if it looks like half the group will be dead before i arrive, then i don't really care. It's your gear not mine being damaged and it's faster for me to ress you all then to all walk back together.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]