Disrespect for healers

81 Worgen Death Knight
If you will recall for those who have played since the beginning that was exactly the case early on. Healers were a premium and if you treated them like junk you didn't get one. Eventually that will correct itself again in this next adventure in wow. It always does.
Reply Quote
81 Worgen Death Knight
Something to remember is many new 'younger' players will be joining us on servers as the new release come out. Be patient with the their competitive nature derived from many platform games and networks it molds the way they relate to others online and frankly the traditional wow crew aren't like many of the platform only game players- not better just different.The new crop will come in be superstars in their own view and then burn out or bail out and we will be left with a reasonably good collection of players until the next new version.

Remember the healer creed -
PVP -> run heal heal get crushed
PVE -> heal heal heal agro get crushed tank that cant hold agro blames you cause he is so squishy and the DPS that did enough dps for the whole party wonders why he/she dropped so fast.

As for my healer- two of us left standing - The Tank and I. ;-)

Enjoy
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
you know what makes me laugh? When i see posts like this in the forums and they say things like 'those stupid DPS' or the ever popular 'god-complex tank'. Not a lot of respect shown for other players in general it seems... wouldn't you agree?

how about the tank that pulls one group at a time and gets yelled at by the DPS 'gogogogogo!', or the healer gets bored and decides to pull an extra group so they have something to do because 'it should be fun for us too'. Or just gets kicked because they aren't in full T10 since they dinged 80 a week ago.

how about being a DPS player, waiting 15 minutes to get into a dungeon, and spend your time getting yelled at by a tank and a healer who think their role is just 'more important' than your own? heaven forbid you deviate from their plan of action for this dungeon... i guess they should just follow the other players around like good little attack dogs and come back to the leash when the healer and tank /whistle.

yeah, a ton of respect being shown all around.

This is a community issue, not just a healers-are-persecuted issue. /thread.

No one is denying that some healers can be jerks and aren't that good, or that they and tanks think they are better than others. However, you can't deny that in just about every MMO there is there seems to be a 'blame the healer' attitude.

Personally, I don't give a crap if anyone 'respects' me in a group, but I don't take any crap either. I go in, do my best, and what happens happens.

I've been blamed for mages that have pulled the entire Cathedral in SM, tanks with such low armor that they die before I can even get a heal off or a HoT to tick even ounce, for wipes when the tank loses agro and the mob puts silence on me, when I go OOM and shouting it to the group and the tank/DPSstill pull, when hunters pull and feigns death right next to me.

But during every one of those, I try to explain what happened. Sometimes people listen, sometimes they don't. I don't try and put myself better than anyone and admit to my mistakes. I do try to get people to see why such a problem happened, and if they want to start crap, I just leave.

9/10 times when the tank or the healer leaves, the group just disbands, so DPS get the blunt of that and I'm sometimes sorry for that(considering their queu times) and they can blame me all they want. But if I'm being insulted, and the group is beyond saving, I just leave group.

Bit of a wall of text but I had a lot to say. :p
Edited by Hobbfather on 12/2/2010 8:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I've never had any of whatever you all are claiming happens in like hundreds of pugs. Guess it's because I'm actually a good healer and can carry a group no matter the situation...

Only thing I'm hearing here is "QQQQQQQQQQQQQ, i'm a baddie and get booted from pugs"

L2play, disrespect won't be an issue...
Reply Quote
11 Tauren Shaman
I've never had any of whatever you all are claiming happens in like hundreds of pugs. Guess it's because I'm actually a good healer and can carry a group no matter the situation...

Only thing I'm hearing here is "QQQQQQQQQQQQQ, i'm a baddie and get booted from pugs"

So what you are saying here is that new players shouldn't learn to heal because they don't have the experience level you have in healing thus making it easy to cover for the stupid mistakes of the other members of the group? I would like to know how you expect these new players to "L2play"?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

So what you are saying here is that new players shouldn't learn to heal because they don't have the experience level you have in healing thus making it easy to cover for the stupid mistakes of the other members of the group? I would like to know how you expect these new players to "L2play"?

Easy, L2play. The "learn" part is the critical one. Before you jump on a forum and complain about how the world is out to get you, maybe look into a mirror first and see what you can be doing to improve yourself. The reason why a good number of tanks and dps complain about healers is that a good number of healers just shrug, and carry the load whatever it might be. Not like it's hard.. hell, a lot of runs I don't even use a tank anymore. Just 4dps it. Not like the damage on dps matters when I can just heal through it. If it's what tanks and dps are used to for a fair number of runs, well then ya, I would complain when a healer can't heal through mechanics that other healers have zero trouble with. The issue is, because you're a bad healer, you just don't see what it's like when a good healer carries you. You're in a bubble of ignorance. hence L2play

Read the guides, learn your class, get a healing type addon of some fashion. I'm willing to bet a fair number of the QQ is from healers who still click their spells on the action bar... Well dur you're having issues..
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
DNA
Read the guides, learn your class, get a healing type addon of some fashion. I'm willing to bet a fair number of the QQ is from healers who still click their spells on the action bar... Well dur you're having issues..

6 healing toons, extensive knowledge to the classes I play and extensive knowledge of the healing addon I use. I can heal through pretty much anything. It doesn't mean I -want- to.
And while levelling it's almost guaranteed one is not capable of such either due to the class and/or level restrictions.

"l2play" is an easy way to shrug off and ignore the fact that some people just aren't very good and we're sometimes stuck with them in randoms and for some reason WE need to learn to play, because heaven forbid the other guy does.

In short, you're full of something. Guess what it is.
Edited by Urissa on 12/2/2010 10:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
I hate people that refer to others by their role. "WHAR IS TANK"

They let you pick a name for a reason

Same. Though, sometimes I can't really force myself to type out certain names (when they are evidence of everything from functional illiteracy to obscenity). In that case, people just have to live with being called "tank" or "mage".

I just pick out the first 4 letters of that name

I hate being called "healer" or "priest"
Surprised they don't use "where is the +'s?" :)
Edited by Silvanne on 12/2/2010 12:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
60 Human Priest

This isn't Classic
Nor is it TBC

No, it's Cataclysm, which is much like Classic and TBC. Or did you even bother to read the OP where it was specifically mentioned that he was pugging *ON BETA*.

WotLK, I'll do my best to keep folks alive. If they make it excessively difficult for me, they may die. If they don't care enough to exercise some effort not taking excessive damage, I don't feel any need to care enough to really work at keeping them alive either. I refuse to be the only person actually trying in a group unless I'm dramatically undergeared compared to the rest and having to work hard to keep up. That said, I won't complain if they pull when I'm low mana, I'll sit and drink until they start getting low and actually need heals. If that happens before I'm back to adequate mana, then yeah, they die. I do try not to let this happen without at least asking them to let me drink, though.

In Cataclysm, if you pull while the healer's low on mana and/or don't use adequate CC, you're going to die. Maybe not the first pull, but the second pull the healer will be OOM and not have any cooldowns left and will be flatly unable to save you. Your own fault, nothing else. Cataclysm heroics particularly are intended to be impossible to finish (at least in early level 85 gear) unless everybody plays smart. Tank overpulling, healer using poor mana efficiency spells, DPS not using CC or taking unnecessary damage, any *ONE* of these will cause a death, and possibly a wipe. So, yeah, you want the healer to save you in Cataclysm, you make sure not to do things that will stop the healer from saving you, like letting him get his mana back and staying in range. The days of being 300 yards away from a healer when you pull, being down to 1/3 health when he starts heading your way, and still emerging with everybody alive and the enemies all dead are pretty much over at this point.
Reply Quote
60 Human Priest

Lol, and that guy was saying the healers complaining about DPS and Tanks had an attitude.

You can carry a group no matter what because WotLK was EZ mode. Cataclysm is a different story. A retarded monkey could heal a group through 95% of what you see in WotLK heroics if you give him some JP gear on his toon. Cataclysm heroics are much more tightly tuned. There will be much less room for sub-optimal play (read, pulling while the healer is OOM or looting or whatever).
Reply Quote
10 Draenei Warrior

No one is denying that some healers can be jerks and aren't that good, or that they and tanks think they are better than others. However, you can't deny that in just about every MMO there is there seems to be a 'blame the healer' attitude.

Personally, I don't give a crap if anyone 'respects' me in a group, but I don't take any crap either. I go in, do my best, and what happens happens.

I've been blamed for mages that have pulled the entire Cathedral in SM, tanks with such low armor that they die before I can even get a heal off or a HoT to tick even ounce, for wipes when the tank loses agro and the mob puts silence on me, when I go OOM and shouting it to the group and the tank/DPSstill pull, when hunters pull and feigns death right next to me.

But during every one of those, I try to explain what happened. Sometimes people listen, sometimes they don't. I don't try and put myself better than anyone and admit to my mistakes. I do try to get people to see why such a problem happened, and if they want to start crap, I just leave.

9/10 times when the tank or the healer leaves, the group just disbands, so DPS get the blunt of that and I'm sometimes sorry for that(considering their queu times) and they can blame me all they want. But if I'm being insulted, and the group is beyond saving, I just leave group.

Bit of a wall of text but I had a lot to say. :p

hey, i get it. totally i do. Take a look at my thread about Dungeon Crawling. it specifically deals with that discussion.

for me, i just feel like it needs to be pointed out that making yourself (not you persay) the victim doesn't solve anything. I notice a lot of that going on lately, and it sends the wrong message to new healers (and new healers is precisely what we are going to need come Cata, mark my words).

theres quite a bit of devils advocate at work in my first post. :) cheers.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

Lol, and that guy was saying the healers complaining about DPS and Tanks had an attitude.

You can carry a group no matter what because WotLK was EZ mode. Cataclysm is a different story. A retarded monkey could heal a group through 95% of what you see in WotLK heroics if you give him some JP gear on his toon. Cataclysm heroics are much more tightly tuned. There will be much less room for sub-optimal play (read, pulling while the healer is OOM or looting or whatever).

We're not in cata yet ace. Yet you still see tons of threads QQing about how they got booted in wrath content for sucking... Thats my whole point, any half assed healer can heal through simple mistakes and good healers can heal through not even bothering with a tank or pulling 4+ packs at a time. The nature of cata. So when a healer is QQing about tanks dying, or dps standing in fire, the only thought I can come up with is how bad must they suck for not being able to heal through it.

Yes I know cata is difference, I was in the beta, and I'm very much looking forward to not having to carry groups anymore....
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
"l2play" is an easy way to shrug off and ignore the fact that some people just aren't very good and we're sometimes stuck with them in randoms and for some reason WE need to learn to play, because heaven forbid the other guy does.

In short, you're full of something. Guess what it is.

If you can't carry a group in wrath, you have no business healing. (gearing issues aside)
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
One of the last instances I ran today one of the dps wouldnt back off from a whirlwind, I had to use flash to heal him to full,the 3rd time he didnt back off I let him die.I may be a healer and I do enjoy it but if Im in a group and someone doesnt move outta aoe or some reason that they should move off target and I have to tell them twice the 3rd time their dieing
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
DNA
If you can't carry a group in wrath, you have no business healing. (gearing issues aside)

while -levelling- post-patch, pre-outland. Not at lvl80, in my tier. Big difference.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
I hate people that refer to others by their role. "WHAR IS TANK"

They let you pick a name for a reason

Same. Though, sometimes I can't really force myself to type out certain names (when they are evidence of everything from functional illiteracy to obscenity). In that case, people just have to live with being called "tank" or "mage".

The %t function in chat is nice for this. I use it all the time for exactly this reason.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
While it's still Wrath of the Lich King era, you can't whine about it, because everything really supposed to be easy.

Learning in L2P is indeed the hard part but how come it's hard? You are provided with 4 healing spells at low level as shaman (earth shield, healing surge, healing wave, greater healing wave) and you know that keeping earth shield up and ONLY cast healing surge for emergency is the rule of thumb.

I agree though about being disrespectful, especially when you don't have any greens / blues / heirlooms item equipped, healing at low level maybe challenging. Those people should really stop when the healer needs mana and not blaming them for needing it.

In Cataclysm, we, healers job isn't only healing, but also cleansing and maybe CC'ing. DPS too, they have to interrupt and CC and tank can't just charge without brain. At least while our gear still below Tier 13 (yes, tier 13, not 11). We'll see how that gonna work when people don't wait for healers mana.
Reply Quote
74 Undead Warlock
I hate being called "healer" or "priest"

So you get all offended that people don't call you by your made-up fantasy toon name? This is silly. If this were your real life name and someone were calling you "hey you" it would be different, but this is just silliness. Your toon is not a unique snowflake. It's one of several pixel models that someone else designed.
Reply Quote
75 Human Priest

That is because you over gear dungeon instances. Good for you but that is not the real topic.

Hop in to a group with a tank with bad gear, not in blood spec or with RF no on, who pulls multiple groups of mobs and agro goes to hell and your healing yourself, the DPS and the tank who does not pop cool downs, and you heal well and save everyone and have 1/2 of your mana, then they run and repeat and you have no mana, tell them so, and they run a repeat and die.

I've had a tank pull the entire corridor in first part of Nexus as level 70, including the boss by the book, I saw him do it and had a shield on him, a hot rolling and was spamming out a heal and he kept running and pulling more including the mobile dog mobs that come down the ramp. He was way down on health and kept running and pulling mobs.
That is simply being an idiot or an azzhat or both. Yep, I'm going to go with both on that one.

As an example, if you were in a raid group in RS and the tank pulled multiple of the mobs in there, even in your gear, they are going to die. If the blame you for that, hopefully you would not take that stupidity and blame yourself as a bad healer.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
I've levelled three priests; all disc and the last two through the randon dungeon finder exclusively. I've been in my fair share of terribad, rude or otherwise annoying groups. Things tend to get particularly bad when you get to BRD and people think they can willy nilly run around and pull massive amounts of mobs.

I simply tell people, LOOK, I have no button that heals STUPID. If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough. I've ported out of many situations (as others have stated) when the wipe was impending and looked to be unavoidable. Usually I will give a person one warning about doing stupid stuff that causes unnecessary healing and politely let them know that if they do it again they should prepare to take a dirt nap :D I have no problem letting someone die if it does not compromise the pull to teach them a lesson.

As for tanks; a good tank will watch his healer's mana as the run progresses and allow the healer to regen before continuing. Depending on my gear and level and how my mana is regenning, I will let the tank know up front that I will need drink breaks and this sometimes gets them to be conscious of my mana during the run.

This doesn't get any better when we've reached our top level either. I do a ton of PvP on my main priest and get #@!@*ed at occasionally about not providing heals. These are your "pewpew I wanna be a hero" type players who have no idea how challenging it can be to heal, particularly in a battleground. These people think heals just magically happen lol. As healers in PvP situations, we are constantly getting focused by other players, stunned, sapped, cycloned, feared, rooted or otherwise put out of commission for short periods of time and demanding that we use our 1 or 2 seconds of freedom between CC's to save our own butts from death. I remember being in a BG recently and asking for "peels" from the DPS so that I may be freed up to heal and was told by some idiot that "in BG's you are responsible for yourself, if you don't like it, go back to PvE". I really just had to laugh, particularly so after I thanked him for letting me know that he wouldn't be requiring my healing services and then asked him if he'd like a carpet square to make his numerous dirt naps more comfortable.

It's a thankless job for the most part in a pug type situation. I hear "fail healer" more than I hear "great heals" for sure. Lack of heals usually isn't the result of the healer being fail, but rather someone else doing something stupid or not doing their job.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]