Bring the Blues Back

85 Blood Elf Paladin
While I understand that this will get no response, nor do I consider myself deserving of one, I felt this was the place to state my opinion regarding
However, we're going to try some different avenues for communication in addition or perhaps in place of frequent developer forum posts.
this.

This was one of the extracurricular things about healing that I truly enjoyed. You and others posting in the healing forums was one the things that made healing cool IMO. Many people might have disagreed with what you had to say, and of those same people, many had trouble articulating a constructive response, mostly because 99% of the time, you made sense.

Sure the forums are rampant with lots of trolling and other issues, but I think you misjudge yourself when you consider yourself to be part of the problem. I also don't believe you help the situation at all by absolving yourself from forum-posting all together while in return posting a blog in which your responses to healers questions and concerns are blanketed at best. Don't get me wrong. I like the blog idea, and have no doubt that it will stand on its own merits, but...

I don't think a few jacka**es
some players into saying ridiculous things in the hopes of "winning the lottery."
deserve the right to limit us from one of the true benefits this game once had. That's why the "like and dislike" buttons exist, and I am confident that the knowledgeable and credible in your player-base outnumber said jacka**es and could easily take care of this problem with our new tools you guys gave us.

Basically, I think it's really sad that a mere few bad apples were able to put you in a position where you felt like this was the "best way" for the forums to function. You gave the player base all the tools to handle it, and then took away one of the best reasons for using the tools in the first place. I for one hope this change isn't permanent, and that the blues come back to the forums in full force sometime soon. Thanks for reading!

Enjoy your day!

Hammer
Edited by Hmrhead on 11/22/2010 8:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
Where did they post that Hmr? I will miss the blues definitely. <3
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
I think it's not so much about a few bad apples being rude or outlandish to attract attention, but about the general expectations.

Some players (a lot more than a few, anyway), expect that a polite and/or constructive thread gets a Blue Post™, because it deserves it, right?.

Knowing that GC's reading and responding on the forum leads to threads directed specifically "@Ghostcrawler." I think there's nothing wrong with wanting the developers to be aware of your feelings, but for a post to conclude with "Can we get a blue response on this?" probably strays from what they want these forums to be about.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if GC's got a little fatigue that the rest of the developers got hit with early on. Being in a position to argue with your playerbase is probably not so fun, especially when you're holding yourself to a higher standard than some of them are holding themselves to. Not saying they've finally had enough of us, or that this was even a conscious factor in the decision to shift away from forum communication, but it's true.

Compared to a blog entry, interacting with us directly on the forums introduces a lot of social problems for little advantage, I think. I mean, as long as they're still reading, the only difference is maybe we don't feel like the developers are in the trenches here with us. I guess another potential weakness is that Blizzard blogs are going to attract a lot more attention than some long back-and-forth hidden away in the Healing forum, which means there's probably pressure to make the topics addressed in those blogs have more mass appeal. Maybe we'll see briefer, but more specific updates on some Twitter feed or something. =P

I think it's a good direction to go, even if the contact feels less direct as a result.

P.S.: These forums haven't been around that long, and GC hasn't exactly been super active these last 2 or 3 weeks, so let me qualify this whole post with "If they've indeed chosen to stop posting..."
Edited by Believe on 11/22/2010 9:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=27495545526&sid=1&pageNo=1#19

He doesn't flat out say that there won't be any forum posts, but he does say that communication will come from other means.

Knowing that GC's reading and responding on the forum leads to threads directed specifically "@Ghostcrawler." I think there's nothing wrong with wanting the developers to be aware of your feelings, but for a post to conclude with "Can we get a blue response on this?" probably strays from what they want these forums to be about.

Could not agree with you more, but I don't think "not posting" was the way to fix it. To me, it just looks another classic case of a few nimrods ruining a good thing for everyone.

Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
Are people really nimrods for seeing a forum littered with blue posts (as they tend to rise to the top and stay there longer) and hoping for one themselves?

That's another thing, blue posts tend to prolong and splinter threads into several circular conversations because a lot of people leap into the thread to respond to GC and tend to stop caring about discussing the topic itself.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Is a blue post soothing a thread or agitating it even more ?
I believe the first one most of the time (acknowledge an issue in particular, even very short post).
Maybe in the past some folks used to quote devs to burn them, but then I believe the moderation hammer should be more severe.

I am not sure I see the new forum ratings system being deployed and functional yet?
I haven't seen any 'gray' nearly unreadable messages yet?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Well he has a point. Blue posts tend to provoke flurries of responses for the sake of "oh hey look, a blue, let me rant about everything and anything now that I know someone's reading this". Worse, they are often taken out of context, over analyzed and cited inappropriately. On average, they often end up derailing conversations which is sad cause it is nice to hear a developer's opinion too.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
It's been said that Developers read our threads. For the last month or so we haven't seen a post from GC. He's a developer, the impending doom of Cataclysm is near and really, many of the threads posted as of late has been sheer QQ.

Unfortunately we haven't heard from him and other means of communication is better than none at all.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
All of you raise perfectly valid points. I just believe there were some who found it really beneficial because we knew how to filter through all the BS and mindless QQ and get to the real meat of an issue. And I think it's sad that the BS and mindless QQ of a few ruined a perfectly good feature for the rest of us.
Reply Quote
24 Tauren Druid
Sometimes I like to hope that random characters that jump into a thread to try to push a discussion back on track are actually incognito blues, trying to get what we're thinking out of us without pulling everyone who clicks a Blue Tracker link, ignores the rest of the thread, and responds only to that blue post.

Well he has a point. Blue posts tend to provoke flurries of responses for the sake of "oh hey look, a blue, let me rant about everything and anything now that I know someone's reading this". Worse, they are often taken out of context, over analyzed and cited inappropriately. On average, they often end up derailing conversations which is sad cause it is nice to hear a developer's opinion too.

This is the main reason I'm ok with it if the blues restrict themselves to problem solving responses (like tech support, etc) on the boards and keep the class discussion to the blogs. Maybe well-composed threads will be references in future blogs :P
Edited by Sevtaurnal on 11/22/2010 2:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
lol looks like Im outnumbered. YOU GUYS SUCK!

just kidding.

Reply Quote
86 Tauren Druid
I say hes not going to post cause the backlash of this expansion is going to be loud and hard haha.

But really I rather GC post and be apart of the community then just sit and read and occasionally "blog" about hot topics, healing come Cataclysm is going to be very different and i am sure many people will not like it in the end.

Mana management is needed but I hate the way they are changing heals in general for each class they want us to be all about direct heals not use what our classes are its all to homogenized now and i don't like it
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
I'm betting that they figure, not without reason, that we don't really have anything relevant to discuss here until we've spent some time at 85 on live.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
As part of the "forum game" I love to see blue posts and interact with the blues but,

That's another thing, blue posts tend to prolong and splinter threads into several circular conversations because a lot of people leap into the thread to respond to GC and tend to stop caring about discussing the topic itself.

I've never seen a blue post have a really positive effect on a thread. I love the insight Ghostcrawler has given us in the development process but sometimes it seems his posts themselves are off topic, like there is something he wants to say so he says it regardless of whether it is in the spirit of the original poster or not. The blue tag drives even more off-topic and outlandish posters into that thread and completely derails it. Also, as a developer, he seems to get into trouble when he has to start chiding people to post responsibly or police the forums.

What I, and I think what many, want from the developers is answers. Why did you make this change? What direction are you heading with this? How did you come to the decision to nerf/buff that spell? That's not what the developers are looking for from the forums though and not why they are reading them. By blues posting here, it just makes players even more focused on getting them to answer questions instead of discussing whatever it is we are discussing on these forums. Although I'm not sure what that is supposed to be anymore anyway.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
I'm betting that they figure, not without reason, that we don't really have anything relevant to discuss here until we've spent some time at 85 on live.

If that were the case, Mr. Krabs would have abandoned the live forums from the moment beta began. =P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]