Read This Before You Post

(Sticky)

100 Orc Warrior
For whatever reason, this forum is seeing a massive influx of new posters. Whether it's due to the imminent launch of an expansion (and the tidal wave of lore accompanying it) or just a surge of passion, I feel like I need to reiterate some ground rules and common courtesies.

1). Be Objective!

Do not come into this forum and make threads that begin with "So and so is such a terrible character" or loaded questions with heavy bias, i.e. "Why is the Horde so evil?" Doing so is just going to incite other posters an inevitably turn the thread into a flame war. On certain occasions this can also be grounds for disciplinary action. Play nice and keep an open mind. We're here to discuss story elements, not argue over opinions. Try to think like a writer.

This is especially true for highly controversial topics like the Forsaken.

2). This Forum Is Not For Fan-Made Fiction!

Despite what the name may imply, the Story Forum is not for sharing or discussing fan-made material. It is for discussing officially sanctioned lore/stories only. In short, if it doesn't have a Blizzard logo, it doesn't belong here. That doesn't mean you're forbidden from linking any fiction you may have written (it can be useful in explaining your position on a topic, for instance) or posting the odd paragraph; however, copying large amounts of text or creating threads specifically for any fiction you've written will be deleted or moved.

If you want to discuss your own material please take it to the fine folks at the World's End Tavern Forum (otherwise known as the RP forum): http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1011637/

3). If You Have A Question, Chances Are Someone Else Has Already Asked It

World of Warcraft has a lot of content, and the expanded universe of Warcraft as a whole has even more. However, there are several very popular topics that get addressed again and again. Before you create a new thread please check through the past few pages to see if there's already an existing thread on your topic. Not only does this keep the forum nice and tidy but it benefits you as well. Long threads tend to already have a very healthy discussion of its topic, and you may find through reading it that your particular insight has already been brought up, discussed, and concluded. If not, it's always better to stimulate an existing discussion than to try and start a new one from scratch. Don't worry, those of us who frequent this forum do carefully read each others posts. You don't need to start a new thread to draw attention.

Furthermore, the regulars of this forum get very sick of answering the same questions all day long. I know the Search function hasn't always been the kindest tool, but again please take a few moments to quickly browse through the first few pages.

4). We Are Not Your Personal Encyclopedia

On that note, this is not a Q&A forum. Think of it like a book club. You wouldn't show up to your group meeting and then start asking everyone what happened in the last chapter. You're expected to do your own research before coming here and opening topics for discussion. If you're looking for some direction there are many very helpful resources at your disposal:

The Story Starter Guide, a sticky at the top of this forum. It includes information and links to out-of-game novels that are a great investment if you're interested in the lore of Warcraft:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1008220832

WoWPedia (formally WoWWiki), a crowd-sourced wiki on nearly everything you could possibly want to know about the Warcraft universe. A superb first-stop and excellent reference material for discussions:

http://www.wowpedia.org/Portal:Main

TvTropes, while not specific to Warcraft or Blizzard, is a great way to familiarize yourself with various writing or storytelling techniques. Potentially confusing points in the story of Warcraft can seem much more approachable when you realize it's all just part of a larger plan, and many posters on this forum like to reference popular tropes. Be warned, this website will devour countless hours of your time:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

That said, if there's something that's notably vague or unclear, by all means bring it up! Just avoid questions that can be solved easier and quicker with a search engine than a forum post.

5). Back Up What You Have To Say

Be clear and concise with what you're trying to say and provide as much source material as is helpful. The more information you provide, the easier it will be for others to understand and respond to what you are trying to say. This is especially true for potentially obscure in-game quests.

6). This Is A Warcraft Forum

Blizzard has many successful franchises with many rich, engaging stories. However, this is a Warcraft forum. Any threads pertaining to Starcraft, Diablo, or any other Blizzard product aren't allowed. Each of those games has their own forums specifically dedicated for their own lore.

The Starcraft lore forum can be found here: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/1324400/

Diablo lore can be discussed on the Legacy Battle.net forum here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/3354994/

7). Have Fun!

This forum enjoys a very close relationship with its posters. Everyone here loves the work that Blizzard does, and on some level yearns to make it better. So be respectful to your fellow posters and don't make inflammatory attacks against Blizzard or members of its staff. This forum has a rather unique dynamic that is much... healthier than other forums, so don't come in here with a poisonous attitude.

New ideas or insights are always welcome, as are humor and witty banter. Engage in topics that you find really exciting, but don't openly scoff at those that don't. Don't be afraid to change your mind. The past, present, and future are all fair game. Just be mindful of the rules and common courtesies, and above all else, have fun geeking out.

Oh, and the Like and Dislike buttons exist for a reason!
Edited by Odok on 1/14/2013 10:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Excellent.

8). M. Bison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs
Edited by Sternbridge on 11/20/2010 2:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Aww, do I have to?

*whine*
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Hunter
And while we're at it, can we ban a "Why does Blizzard hate x race" threads, and "Why does x race have more lore than y?" threads?
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
I am so going to get into fan fiction writing to spite you .__.

edit: And George RR Martin.

In my world, Sam WILL be a slayer and Jon Snow WILL become Lord of Winterfell!
Edited by Draile on 11/20/2010 3:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
He damn well better, Draile. You got me into that series and I won't forgive you for that.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
He damn well better, Draile. You got me into that series and I won't forgive you for that.

Awesome!

Where are you now?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Finished A Game of Thrones last Monday and i'm going to get A Clash of Kings either today or tomorrow.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
Have fun. So far my favorite entry is the third book. I'm on the fourth now but a lot of people seem to dislike that one.

The good thing about the books in that series is even though the story is a long, arching thing...there is always a sense of being conclusive with each entry. The main themes of the particular book you're reading tend to wrap up rather nicely, and every character usually has an interesting climax to their particular story arc.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
/liked and reported for sticky!

Also, what Demitri said :3
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Good post. I'd debate that there's nothin wrong with asking a question if you're unsure about a particular point, but as you said only if it hasn't been asked before. I personally have no problem with giving newbies a few pointers =)
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Remember that there is a like a dislike button. Dislike something enough and it just goes away.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

I'm going to have to disagree here.

I have absolutely no qualms using my infinite knowledge to help persons.

This is a story forum, not a snob forum.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid

I'm going to have to disagree here.

I have absolutely no qualms using my infinite knowledge to help persons.

This is a story forum, not a snob forum.
Agreed. Is that the point of the story fourm to help other people understand the lore?

I believe the point is to discuss it. All he said is that this isn't a Q&A forum, suggesting that people do a little legwork before coming in and posting a thread in which they declare Garrosh a monster for murdering Cairne, for example.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I believe the point is to discuss it. All he said is that this isn't a Q&A forum, suggesting that people do a little legwork before coming in and posting a thread in which they declare Garrosh a monster for murdering Cairne, for example.

But Garrosh is a monster. And he did murder Cairne.

But more to the point, genuinely, I have absolutely no qualms with people coming and asking questions, even foregoing leg work.

You guys don't have to, but I'll answer the damn questions. And if one is too childish to co-exist with the existence of threads that consist of Q&As, well, too bad.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid

But Garrosh is a monster. And he did murder Cairne.

But more to the point, genuinely, I have absolutely no qualms with people coming and asking questions, even foregoing leg work.

You guys don't have to, but I'll answer the damn questions. And if one is too childish to co-exist with the existence of threads that consist of Q&As, well, too bad.

You should look up the word "murder."

Regardless, if you want to answer those posts no one's stopping you. Thanks for the condescension, though. The irony was pretty funny, just what I needed in the morning.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

You should look up the word "murder."

Regardless, if you want to answer those posts no one's stopping you. Thanks for the condescension, though. The irony was pretty funny, just what I needed in the morning.

What is with all the sudden hostility?

I'm here saying, "Let's not be douche nozzles, if someone wants help, help them, don't get snobby."

"Ahmaghad arrogance".

Alas I'm biting on the trolling.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Guys? Let's be civil, please. No point in derailing yet another thread.

On a side note, I think Vromrig was being ironic in that post about Garrosh...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]