Retribution Paladin Racials - PVP minded

90 Human Paladin
So I'm kind of tired of raiding and I'm thinking about starting out cataclysm by concentrating on some pvp. I really like(d) the idea of rated bgs until I found out I couldn't solo queue...but that's another thread. Even so, I was thinking about my ret paladin, pvp and my/all of the possible racials. It seems to me that horde paladin racials are CLEARLY superior to alliance. Alliance racials feel somewhat neutered and I was wondering why this clearly unbalanced situation is allowed to persist...especially in light of the level of homogenization of the game today. There was/is an old argument that horde racials are more pvp-minded and alliance racials are more pve-minded...I don't think that argument can hold water anymore with the level of homogenization today.

-Alliance-

Humans - Every Man - Stun removal on a 3m CD. The way I see it we might as well not have this ability at all. No competitive PVPer could rely on this and thus humans must now also use a pvp trinket to be up to par.

Dwarves - Stoneform - removes bleeds/poisons on a 2m CD. This is somewhat useful but highly situational depending on who you're fighting. It's downright completely useless against most enemies.

Draenai - GoN - instant cast heal - This is pretty ok. It's a very impotent heal though, nothing major.

Conclusion - Why would anyone interested in competitive PVP roll an alliance retribution paladin? You'd have to just love the look or the lore.

-Horde-

Blood Elves - Arcane Torrent - An AOE silence on a 2m CD. Yeah...really? That's a bit better than a neutered pvp trinket or an impotent instant heal.

Tauren - War Stomp - An AOE stun on a 2m CD. Yeah...really again?

Conclusion - If you're interested in competitive pvp as a retribution paladin, the only option is to roll horde.

--------------------------------------------

Why not give every race a useful PVP racial so that I can remain alliance and play with my buddies? As is, if I want to play competitively (that is, maximize my chances of winning) in pvp I absolutely MUST race/faction change to tauren or blood elf.
Reply Quote
7 Tauren Shaman
your conclusion sucks. you claim they all suck, yet somehow the blood elf one is best?

gnome racial would be best if they could be paladins, but dwarf is like a mini-bubble against rogues and dk's and hunters, and don't forget the 1% hit from goats, that lets you reforge more dps stats

and dwarf/human expertise too
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
War Stomp isn't quite as good as it sounds on paper, but Arcane Torrent is a great racial for Paladins.

War Stomp is still a lot better than the alliance racials for pally pvp. Arcane torrent is the best, but War Stomp is close behind. And Taurens are much cooler than Blood Elves, imo. :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
your conclusion sucks. you claim they all suck, yet somehow the blood elf one is best?

gnome racial would be best if they could be paladins, but dwarf is like a mini-bubble against rogues and dk's and hunters, and don't forget the 1% hit from goats, that lets you reforge more dps stats

I don't think there is any contradiction in my conclusion. You misread, somehow. The blood elf racial is clearly OP for a melee class in pvp.
Reply Quote
7 Tauren Shaman

Blood Elves - Arcane Torrent - An AOE silence on a 2m CD. Yeah...really? That's a bit better than a neutered pvp trinket or an impotent instant heal.
it may be a little bit better, but not by much, since ret can hardly get into melee of casters. and all the available racials to paladins have their own strengths at least, there isn't a clear winner. so just pick the race you like to look at
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin

it may be a little bit better, but not by much, since ret can hardly get into melee of casters. and all the available racials to paladins have their own strengths at least, there isn't a clear winner. so just pick the race you like to look at

No Arcane Torrent beats the crap out of EMFH, let alone the dwarves and draeni. Stoneform does have its potent uses, but they are few and far between. The only racial that rivals AT is WS. If you're only looking at racials, and don't care about what race you have a preference for, Horde is where you want to go for pvp as a paladin.
Edited by Jefurs on 11/20/2010 8:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

You're a moron if you roll Dwarf or Human for expertise in a PvP setting. 0.75% off a Rogue's 35% dodge makes absolutely no noticeable difference.

That said, if you're PvP minded Dwarf is the only way to go for Retardins right now. Every Man for Himself finally got the nerf it deserved, squidgoat heal has always been fairly meh, and Stoneform is a game-changer against certain classes. Plus beard.

yeah, if you want to stick with alliance. Horde is the clear winner, otherwise.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]