AB Blacksmith: Just Another Node

90 Night Elf Druid
It shocks me to find out how many alliance are truly afraid of blacksmith in Arathi Basin battles. Most times when I zone in I mention that I'm a healer and that I have an alliance battle standard to drum up interest in taking the blacksmith from the open, which works a good bit of the time.

Often I'll get people who go nuts about how we SHOULDN'T go to BS because horde will be there. It has some mystique in players mind as a death trap that should be avoided in order to stay alive. Other players simply do not belive that alliance can successfully take it.

Even later in the game players are reluctant to go to the blacksmith because they're afraid of the confrontation that will take place if they do... even if BS is lightly defended they're afraid of the horde coming in to retake it. I really wish Alliance would treat it like just another node. When you assume that you're going to get beat if you try to take it, you've already lost.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Oddly, I'm finding more Alliance going after BS post patch 4.0. (I'm sure this has to do with the fact that we're not grouping up in specific battlegroups anymore.) We go for BS a lot when I'm in a premade but not all the time.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
LM is where it's at. High ground > Low Ground. Ability to see the entire map and slow-fall team to BS when needed.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
LM is where it's at. High ground > Low Ground. Ability to see the entire map and slow-fall team to BS when needed.

This, with the added caveat that you must be careful or you'll get blown off by a shaman or druid.
Reply Quote
70 Troll Hunter
having LM is a huge advantage in regard to BS. Since some classes and all engineers can make a very quick move from LM to BS, it means it's more easily defended and more easily taken. That both allows you to stretch your defense away from BS and keep the other team honest if they have it. If they only leave 2 there to zerg farm/stables, it can be backdoored more easily than a divorced towny.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
There could sometimes be some merit to a fear of Blacksmith, as that can frequently be the main resurrection spot depending on what's going on around it.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight

I agree and disagree at the same time. Yes LM pwns, but BS gives your team the ability to hit wherever you want. Easy horde win (and fun as hell) is holding farm, lm, and bs.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
If either side wants control of BS, they'll take it eventually.

This depends of course that there are no battleground heroes in your raid.

We all know the ones I'm talking about. They fight on the roads on purpose, they don't defend a node after taking it. They cry when the team is losing. They blame everyone else for the lost.
Reply Quote
70 Troll Hunter
fighting on the roads is the best possible strategy at times in AB. Not if you're losing. But in many circumstances when you have 3 nodes. People who have rigid ideas about how to win BG's end up losing more than they need to. cap 3 and hold isn't always the best strat. Leave stables alone isn't always the best strat. And, yes, fighting on the roads sometimes is.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
fighting on the roads is the best possible strategy at times in AB. Not if you're losing. But in many circumstances when you have 3 nodes. People who have rigid ideas about how to win BG's end up losing more than they need to. cap 3 and hold isn't always the best strat. Leave stables alone isn't always the best strat. And, yes, fighting on the roads sometimes is.

This. Stacking everyone on a node isn't always the best. Having scouts on roads gives you a good visual on other nodes, as well as providing a deterring effect to some incs.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight

This. Stacking everyone on a node isn't always the best. Having scouts on roads gives you a good visual on other nodes, as well as providing a deterring effect to some incs.

It also keeps them OFF your own nodes. Force them into your game, right?

EDIT: But if you are losing, there is nothing more detrimental than road fighting expecting some miraculous progress.
Edited by Diabolico on 11/21/2010 1:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Blacksmith is the most important node. Period. Period. End of story.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
Blacksmith is the most important node. Period. Period. End of story.

This. You can quickly get from it to any other location.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
AB is like broken record! Alliance sends about 7 - 9 people to LM, 3 - 4 to mine, 1 - 3 defends Stabs and maybe 1 or 2 to BS (if any at all). Horde side about 5 - 6 goes bs, 4 - 5 go mine, 3 - 4 go LM and someone always goes straight to Stabs.

Alliance take LM and then head straight to farm (which is now unguarded). The horde at mine go to Stabs after capping mine and the Alliance go straight to mine after capping Farm. Horde and Alliance just go around in circles until someone decides to play a little D and BS is a snooze fest until 1 or 2 brave alliance show up.

I don't understand why alliance don't try to take BS more, in my opinion it this the most important node on the map (anyone who rez's there has a short run to any node they choose).
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid

I'm sorry, I should of been a little more clear.

I'm talking about the clear cut cases when your team is not winning, and no one attempts to even attack a node. You may be down 3-1 with that fourth node being taken away.

Of course sending out a small scout team is a sound strat if you think you can cripple the other team while leading.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
AB is like broken record! Alliance sends about 7 - 9 people to LM, 3 - 4 to mine, 1 - 3 defends Stabs and maybe 1 or 2 to BS (if any at all). Horde side about 5 - 6 goes bs, 4 - 5 go mine, 3 - 4 go LM and someone always goes straight to Stabs.

Alliance take LM and then head straight to farm (which is now unguarded). The horde at mine go to Stabs after capping mine and the Alliance go straight to mine after capping Farm. Horde and Alliance just go around in circles until someone decides to play a little D and BS is a snooze fest until 1 or 2 brave alliance show up.

I don't understand why alliance don't try to take BS more, in my opinion it this the most important node on the map (anyone who rez's there has a short run to any node they choose).

I've watched Horde do the exact same thing when I was Horde side. This isn't a faction specific problem. It's a player problem.

I love trying to take BS right away, and the team who sends more players to BS and whose healers aren't CC'ed wins.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
When we queue up as 3-5 people for AB (always minimum 1-2 heals) we go Mines, cap it, leave it, clear BS (if anyone went there to take it) then we head down to Farm (if it's lightly defended).

We pretty much just make those rounds and adjust as needed and split a healer and DPS off to guard a node if the situation calls for it and the other 2-3 continue patrolling and backing up the others.

We don't bother telling the other pugs what to do. We just try to adapt to their flow and if they are anywhere near competent it's usually an easy win.

We don't mind leaving some nodes undefended since we can go there as a group and recap it quickly anyway.

Reply Quote
83 Human Warlock
It is all part of Blizzard's focus on the Trinity.

WSG - "3" flag captures
AB - 3 nodes (preferably BS/LM/Farm or stables)
AV - 2 towers and Drek/Van (heck, even 2 towers and Galv/Bal)
EotS - 3 towers or 2 towers/flag
IoC - Docks or Workshop and Refinery/Quarry
SotA - driver/2 casters
WG - 3 towers

Arena is balanced around which bracket?

Tank/Heals/DPS anybody for PvE?

How many talent trees?

Etc, etc, etc...

...even: World (1) of (2) Warcraft (3)

It is funny as Hell though, that there are only two factions, eh?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]