Pet for BM leveling in cata

80 Blood Elf Hunter
I'm currently using a wolf which seems pretty solid still. Any reason to consider other pets (perhaps exotic) for this task?

PS: I am well aware of how focus has messed with hunter balance, etc. I'm not looking for emotional posting about how I shouldn't play a hunter.
Reply Quote
I personally plan to use a worm (which is exotic) for BM leveling. Worms are tenacity pets, so they already have the additional taunt and AoE threat talents in their tree. However, worms are currently the only pet that has an AoE damage ability as well (as far as I know), which can help it hold threat on groups. I haven't looked too closely at the abilities of the new families of pets that will be available in Cata yet, so there may be other pets that also have AoE damage available.

That said, you should level up with whatever you enjoy/feel comfortable with. I know there are plenty of people who prefer to not level up as BM at all and manage just fine. Survival is my main spec, and I'll probably try leveling as survival with my bear or something just to see how it goes. If it turns out that my bear can't hold threat at all (even with MD), then I'll switch to BM and use my worm.
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
All tenacity pets get a thunder stomp like ability in it so worm might have an extra aoe but not the only one.
Reply Quote
All tenacity pets get a thunder stomp like ability in it so worm might have an extra aoe but not the only one.

Right, sorry if I was unclear on that. Thunderstomp was the "AoE threat talent" I was referring to as being in the tenacity talent tree, and as such all tenacity pets can access it. However, worms are the only pet that get an additional AoE damage ability that is unique to worms. It does not specifically say that it generates threat (like Thunderstomp does), but the extra AoE damage can be helpful for holding threat if you're throwing Mend Pet out a lot.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Worm is hands down the best tank pet. It's burrow attack can hold agro through and explosive trap + mend pet + engineering bomb + multi shot spam. No other pet can do that unless u use MD.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
I will still use main PvP pet as I expect to be smashing thousands of Horde as I level.

That's actually a good point... to quest effectively in cata will probably require a decent amount of resil, lol.

Meh. I'll just do the mid-level lowby quests where there will be relatively few people competing for quest mobs, just to see the lore... the 80-85 zones, and the starting zones, will be ridiculously packed.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Hunter
I thought worms dropped threat now when they burrowed?

Personally planning to keep my Ghost Saber and add a Shale Spider into the mix as soon as I can find one to tame.

With how AoE damage has been changed, I don't really see the benefit to large pulls anymore, especially as we move towards the later level mobs.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
BM + Worm + Glyph of Misdirection
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Hunter
I'll be using Arcturis. He's my favorite pet by far :-)
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
I'll be using Arcturis. He's my favorite pet by far :-)

He is a cat but with a heal.
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Hunter
Worm is hands down the best tank pet.
You misspelled "Turtle" there, tex.

And who cares about AoE threat and needing to use Misdirection? If you're leveling and you're not using Glyph of Misdirection, you are unequivocally doing. it. wrong.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Yes, because clearly making the pack of stuff you picked up die faster is the wrong way to go about it.
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Hunter
Any pet not called "Turtle" is going to have issues with "packs" of mobs anyways with how hard they hit in Deepholm and onwards. Coupled with how absolutely garbage Multi-Shot is on any number of targets that doesn't have two or more digits, trying to AoE grind is pointless and redundant.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
BM + Worm + Glyph of Misdirection

This is what I use for soloing instances and will be fine for leveling. The turtle is another fine option where maybe you want to try and do that group quest on your own where you tackle an elite. Shell Shield + Cower + Misdirect Glyph and a slow steady DPS will get you through those.

*Edited for grammar.
Edited by Farindor on 11/22/2010 11:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
The best pet for tanking that will out live any other pet is the Turtle. Get ScaleBeard and your leveling will be so much easier. That thing takes alot of damage for you.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
I thought worms dropped threat now when they burrowed?

This is correct... Burrow is no longer a good AoE ability for tanking. If you pick up a pack of 82s, MD to the worm, and then have the worm Burrow... those mobs are coming straight for you.

I'll try to mix it up a bit; I plan on setting up an MM spec for leveling, but I've been diehard BM since I started. Whenever I'm in BM, I'll probably have an exotic out; Arcturis or Gondria for fun, maybe the devilsaur, not sure. I'll bounce around a lot. Planning on taming some monkeys, dogs, and foxes tomorrow, try 'em all out before the 7th.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Hunter
Rhyno for lvling, he just looks BEASTLY, RHYNO SMASH!
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
I've never found it to make one whit of difference what you decide to go with as a BM. You could probably tame a damn bunny and all opposing PvE varmints would get just as dead.

Basically, just go with what you like. I leveled with a wolf and it was fine.
Edited by Xialla on 11/23/2010 3:34 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]