Just hit 80, healing heroics

85 Human Priest
Hey all, I just did a H FoS yesterday and I was def going OOM pretty much every pull with those packs with the skeletons (forget their name) as the AoE damage was pretty intense. I tried to shield everyone and keep PoM on CD, but their health was dropping so fast I really couldn't do anything other than spam PoH. I'm sure it didn't help that the tank had 28k hp and was wearing a holy pally shield with a caster ring and back piece. But I was wondering how disc priests handle AoE damage in heriocs? Is it just a gear problem?
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
you shouldnt be doing heroics staight away unless you have some half decent gear.
as for the tank, likewise at 28k hp should not of been tanking. At least not heroics.

Is it just a gear problem?

this is most likely the case.

before doing heroics i recomend that the ilvl of all your gear be at least 200.

As a disc preist your raid healing is barrier a prayer of healing (try to hold out on the use of barrier untill it is desperatly needed).
Prayer of mending should be on the tank every cooldown likewise with bubble.

everything else is up to the situation.
the other problem is that the current patches are preparing us for cata so our manna runs out that bit faster. If your having wipes at the same spot multiple times i suggest waiting for better gear. That being said ill look your toon up on armoury for you and edit the post after

edit: yea you really need to get better gear.
Normal lich king dungeons drop better gear in most slots for your stuff and you shouldnt be using boas at level 80.

If you in a guild see if they can carry you in toc which most pugs can 8or9 man these days for some better trinkets (binding light) and gear in general.
Edited by Meyrinhawke on 11/22/2010 7:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Mage
28K hp is more than enough to tank old heroics, it is a bit low for FOS though. If you are a fresh 80 than yeah your gear is almost certainly the problem.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Thanks for the input.

I've been playing a resto druid and shaman forever so switching over to disc is definitely a lot different healing style with most my abilities having CD's, for me anyways. :)
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Once upon a time the LFD tool actually did a gearcheck before dropping people into heroics. Not so much anymore. I recently leveled a warlock to 80. The instant I hit 80 I tried to Q for Heroics and it let me. Yes....wearing BoAs, and quest blues/greens. So yeah.....people are getting into heroics a lot earlier than they were when Wrath released. On a side note, I was doing over 2k dps in that crappy gear. And I've seen people in heroics that couldn't break 1k. But Tanks and Heals are a little different story typically. Your Tank at 28k HP was geared fine for most Heroics, but probably a huge burden to try to heal in Heroic ToC or the new ICC 5mans. With you being in pretty low level gear also, that just compounded the problems. Reading your post I can't tell if you finished the run or not. You basically said you were going OOM every pull, but didn't say if you were wiping or not or were unable to finish the dungeon. My 2 cents is this, if you finished the dungeon, you did great! Considering your gear and the tank's gear. But yeah, the reason you had a hard time was mostly likely just due to being a bit undergeared yet.
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Priest
H FoS is tough to heal if you aren't well geared, and with you being a fresh 80 and the tank sitting at 28k HP, it's going to be even tougher.

The easiest thing to do - although it will take you longer - is to queue up as dps until you either get enough JPs to purchase some better tier gear or until you get better drops. That's what I did. It took me maybe four days for me to get the gear I have on now. It's not top-of-the-line, but it's decent enough for healing heroics.

Besides, sometimes it's fun to just go dps and not have to worry about healing. I usually heal a couple in a row, then dps a couple, then heal again.
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Priest
EDIT: Sorry, double post.
Edited by Malekus on 11/22/2010 8:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Yeah we didn't wipe and no one died on any of the pulls, just went OOM every time. Guess I'll have to do some regular dungeon farming for a bit then. :(
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Mage
Yeah we didn't wipe and no one died on any of the pulls, just went OOM every time. Guess I'll have to do some regular dungeon farming for a bit then. :(

I wouldn't do that, they give so few justice points now. I'd just stick to the original heroics more.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Tank always matters more so than the healer, especially when it comes to a disc priest. If you've got an about it ass tank, you shouldn't have much problems in heroics.

I queue'd for heroics right off the bat (back in July, before the patch) and the only instance I had problems with at the start was H HoR.

It was very tough for me at first as well, because I didn't use add-on's (this was my first 80 at the time, and I had only been playing for a month). Eventually though, someone I raided with suggested I get healbot, and ever since then, I've been on God mode on my Priest. I find it surprising that I did so well however without using add-on's in ICC10, and decided to make my Priest my baby.

The only thing I can suggest you do if you're having problems with mana is just do reg. 80 dungeons. They drop gear that'll get you to where you need to be in order to start doing heroics.

Also mana conservation is key. If you keep everyone bubbled and have Rapture, mana shouldn't be -that- much of an issue... however several things factor into the strength of your Power Word: Shield.

Reg ToC/FoS/PoS/HoR all drop very nice gear. Stick to those for a bit... as a healer the queues shouldn't take forever. The good thing about these instances is that you can queue for them forever without being restricted to one-a-day direct queue...
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I agree that if you got a 28k health pool tank thru the end of FoS, then don't let it rattle you. *So* *what* you had to drink after pulls... keep working on that gear and you'll be doing H HoR in no time ;)

Like another reply said... throw a PoM on the tank every time it's available. When I hit 80, I didn't realise I should use it outside of the tank pulling, lol... yeaaaahhhhhh, noob-ville.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
you shouldnt be doing heroics staight away unless you have some half decent gear.
as for the tank, likewise at 28k hp should not of been tanking. At least not heroics.

You're joking, right?? Tell me this is a troll.

You do remember back when Wrath first came out that people who were only geared from quests/reg. dungeons did heroics, and succeeded easily at them. Their gear may not be up to par with healing the ICC dungeons on heroic, but that doesn't mean you tell them to stay away from heroics before they're geared in general. I mean, how else are you supposed to get gear?

Also, tanks with 28k hp are perfectly fine for tanking everything except the ICC dungeons and the ToC dungeon. Yet again, back in early Wrath tanks with 20k hp in heroics were considered to have good health.

I honestly have no idea where you get off telling anyone what you just did, but I'm really hoping that you were trolling, because if you weren't you look really foolish right about now for saying something so closed minded.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Priest
Also, tanks with 28k hp are perfectly fine for tanking everything except the ICC dungeons and the ToC dungeon. Yet again, back in early Wrath tanks with 20k hp in heroics were considered to have good health.

The poster there meant Heroic Forge of Souls.

But I have a feeling that Blizzard meant for at least one of the casters in each pack to be CCed. I've tried suggesting it, but nobody has the patience for that anymore. Tank and DPS all wade in spamming AoE, on every pull.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]