Paladin PvP Leveling - Cake or Death?

85 Undead Rogue
I'm planning on rolling a new character after tomorrow's patch strictly through PvP with a buddy of mine who will be a holy paladin.

I plan to either roll a ret/prot paladin or an arms/prot warrior. My question to you, the great paladin community, is what is the potential of the lowbie paladin in those brackets? Will I have more burst than the warrior option--or even decent/good burst? How about survivability? Assume I will always have a pocket healer, and please, no "lol dude it don matter wut u play n lowb brkts" responses.

I've leveled a paladin twice before, but not with any of the new changes since 4.0. I also don't really play an 80 pally now, so any advice and supporting facts would be much appreciated. Why should I roll a paladin and not a warrior?

Thanks!
Edited by Deuce on 11/22/2010 6:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Giving myself a headache going over all the data for these 4 distinctively different specs. Would be a big help if anyone with a little experience in these matters could give me a some insight on the subject.
Reply Quote
82 Orc Death Knight
You'll likely see relatively the same mobility (warrior with charge/intercept/etc and paladin with HoF), but likely burst and survivability will be your main concerns. I would guess at this point the paladin will have higher survivability and the warrior more burst.

But what do I know.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
Expect to die, a lot, as a warrior.

You have burst, and some mobility (charge / intercept ).

But beyond that, you will die, a lot. We're talking more than others in PvP. Unless you are doing Rated BG's or Arena where you will have a dedicated healer, Warriors are a run-in-smash-face-die class for world pvp or regular bg's simply cause we have no way to heal and no dedicated healer.

Enraged Regen helps some but it doesn't take but one Frost Mage to really disable you completely while two or three others focus fire you to death.

On the plus side, with gear, you can smash face. Against non-healing classes you can really pump out the DPS. Mages are a pain cause they blink too friggin much and your cd's on charge and intercept are always going to be blown. Going against any type of healer is pointless cause the nerf to Mortal Strike really makes taking a healer down, damn near impossible (looking at you Holy/Ret pallies...).

So it comes down to, do you want to survive more and kill a little less, or kill a little more or die each time you run into a fight? And trust me, I've played enough BGs and world pvp to know.. once you committ to a battle either you are going to kill enough people to survive or you are not making it out of that battle alive, unless you've got a healer stapled to your butt.

I <3 warriors but in non-premade team pvp, we are just as squishy as cloth wearers.
Reply Quote
82 Orc Death Knight
Expect to die, a lot, as a warrior.

You have burst, and some mobility (charge / intercept ).

But beyond that, you will die, a lot.

So you're basically saying, warriors are really only fun in the lowbie brackets if you can charge someone who's attention is elsewhere and explode their face before they have time to react.

What do you think it will be like tomorrow come lowbie dps nerfs?
Edited by Plaguefiend on 11/22/2010 6:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
82 Orc Death Knight
Shockadins are OP right now and probably will remain so in 4.0.3a. I see nothing in the patch notes that will nerf us to death, although life will be slightly harder for us post-patch.

But I'm not complaining. Faceroll got old after a single BG.

But I will either be ret or prot if i choose paladin. My buddy will be the holy pocket heals backup.
Reply Quote
82 Orc Death Knight
Shockadins are OP right now and probably will remain so in 4.0.3a. I see nothing in the patch notes that will nerf us to death, although life will be slightly harder for us post-patch.

But I'm not complaining. Faceroll got old after a single BG.

But I will either be ret or prot if i choose paladin. My buddy will be the holy pocket heals backup.

Go Prot. Ret is, if not broken, then very bad right now due to its terrible Holy Power generation and its reliance on procs.

Would you recommend that over the warrior options of arms or prot pvp?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
"Ummm death please...wait no cake!"
Reply Quote
82 Orc Death Knight
"Ummm death please...wait no cake!"

haha waiting for someone to get the reference!
Reply Quote
82 Orc Death Knight
"Shield of the Righteous: Contribution of attack power halved (now 60% with full Holy Power) and base damage brought up so that a level 85 paladin in Heroic dungeon gear deals the same damage with no Vengeance, but Vengeance has less impact."

Will this affect prot pvp tremendously?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Would you recommend that over the warrior options of arms or prot pvp?

Bumpola
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Bumpola 2.0
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
I'll take the chicken then. (tastes of human)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
"Shield of the Righteous: Contribution of attack power halved (now 60% with full Holy Power) and base damage brought up so that a level 85 paladin in Heroic dungeon gear deals the same damage with no Vengeance, but Vengeance has less impact."

Will this affect prot pvp tremendously?

no. the change was to lessen the impact of vengance making SotR hit for stupid ammounts. you don't get much vengance in PvP so it's not a big deal. you should hit for about the same with SotR in pvp as before.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
You're rolling with a holy paladin friend and wondering whether you should go with another paladin or a warrior?

Really?

Easiest question ever. Go warrior. Spec arms. Never look back.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]