2 Healing specs but wait...

85 Troll Druid
I find it very sad that Priest has 2 healing specs but from I see on my server, at least 50% (this is made up on the spot) of the Priest I see, are shadow. Now im not sure of the real number, but I see many more shadow priest than i do holy/disc priest.

I find it ironic that the icnonic healing class ends up having its DPS spec as its most played spec.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
It's possible that many of the priests you are seeing have a shadow off-spec, which they use while meandering around, doing quests.

There may be more healers than you imagine.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
I'd agree with that, but I dont think thats the case in all honesty.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I think this is going to get worse come Cata, honestly.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I think it will get better with Cata. Right now, the healers that like the Cata model still don't like healing. It feels even more annoying to heal at 80 for me now that I look forward to a brighter future.

And those that are giving up healing in Cata because they don't like the new model have no reason to continue healing at this stage.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
DPS is a more popular role. Period. That's why everything requires significantly more DPS than healers or tanks.

As long as Shadow remains a viable DPS spec, more Priests will be Shadow than Disc and Holy combined. Just as more Druids will be Balance and Feral (DPS) combined than Resto. More Paladins will be Ret than Holy. And more Shaman will be Ele and Enhancement combined than Resto.

You can see it in the tank hybrids too. More Warriors are DPS than Tank. And more DKs are DPS than Tank. It's the same principal.

Also, there's next to no reason to dual spec as Disc and Holy now, so even most healing Priests will use Shadow as an offspec.
Reply Quote
83 Undead Priest
I think it will get better with Cata. Right now, the healers that like the Cata model still don't like healing. It feels even more annoying to heal at 80 for me now that I look forward to a brighter future.

And those that are giving up healing in Cata because they don't like the new model have no reason to continue healing at this stage.

You're forgetting also the group of priest giving up disc/holy because they are underpowered in PvP at level 85.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
This data is a bit old, but Holy is the least popular healing spec in the game, followed closely by Disc. I think if anything Cataclysm will make Holy even less popular. Imo the spec is getting more complicated, less capable, and ultimately and less rewarding.

http://armorydatamining.appspot.com/general?t=PopBigPicture
Edited by Highbeams on 11/22/2010 2:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Why would you ever duel spec holy/disc?

anyone?

That's an honest question.

seems to me that probably 90+% of all priests would main shadow, or offspec shadow.

Also, with that in place they can Que as both DPS and heals
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest

anyone?

seems to me that probably 90+% of all priests would main shadow, or offspec shadow.

I use to spec disc/holy. Raid attendance was really effy so you never knew who was going to show up, the druid or the pally. Also some fights favored one spec or the other. It really depended on what role I was playing that night.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
I know right. I mean, whenever I sign up to heal a random instance. EVERY SINGLE priest I'm paired with is Shadow!
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
^ i lol'd

"whenever I sign up to heal a random..." how many randoms require more than one healer?
Reply Quote
24 Tauren Druid

anyone?

I can't stand DPSing at all, so my priest is disc/holy. I prefer disc, but there are a couple other disc/shadow players in my guild so if we raid together I swap to holy so we don't step on each others toes. Plus sometimes I just feel like playing the different healing style.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Plus sometimes I just feel like playing the different healing style.

In Cata, this would pretty much be the only reason to spec Disc/Holy for the average player.

I'm sure some of the more bleeding edge raiders will spec Disc/Holy because on Fight A you will heal .15% better as Disc, and on Fight B you will heal .10% better as Holy.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
^ i lol'd

"whenever I sign up to heal a random..." how many randoms require more than one healer?

Obviously he was being satirical.

Also, GC's said repeatedly that Priests have been the most popular healer. This despite the priest whining for the last 3 tiers.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
^ i lol'd

Obviously he was being satirical.

Also, GC's said repeatedly that Priests have been the most popular healer. This despite the priest whining for the last 3 tiers.

"Priest" isn't a healing spec. Priests are only popular if you combine Disc and Holy.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
The problem I've honestly seem and id prefer to post a seperate thread about it is that we have 2 healing specs which becomes the biggest problem. Unlike Warrior or Deathknight where the talents have more passive effects (such as bleeds and diseases), Priest specs force you to choose between 2 healing styles so if you go holy you compromise the usefulness of your shields but your expected to be able to use them efficiently, while if you go Disc, you're expected to be able to Aoe heal fine when you lose out on CoH, and a mastery that enforces additional healing.

Resto Shamans, resto druid, Holy Paladins, all have 1 healing spec, so ALL their healing spells are modified by 1 talent tree. Resto druids dont have to make a choice to look at whether they want increase their HoTs or Healing Touch, its just flat out the two go hand and hand.

Priest have that issue.

EDIT: IN response to why people like myself have a Disc/Holy spec instead of going with Disc/Shadow or Holy/Shadow, its because of the scenario mentioned above where we are forced to take 2 healing specs to maximize our ability to heal in raids given each possible situation.
Edited by Mufa on 11/22/2010 3:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
24 Tauren Druid
To clarify: I will not switch to holy or disc on a per-fight basis due to theorized increase in potential healing. I switch so we have a variety of buffs (Guardian Spirit vs Power Infusion), or I switch based on whim. I've never been forced into two healing specs, I choose it. I've found that if I switch to another spec in an attempt to up my healing, typically I don't do any better than I was before. Others may, I don't.

I think having two healing trees makes it difficult for a priest to choose, but I don't think it's a bad thing. The reason I enjoy priest so much is because if I get bored of using shields, I can change specs, and still heal, just in a different way. Without the "bored with this spec? level a new character if you want to heal differently" issue other healing classes would cause me.
Edited by Sevtaurnal on 11/22/2010 3:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Priest
Your just seeing all the fotm shadow re rolls. They'll be gone in few months when they realize its not the ticket to pvp super-stardom they had hoped.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]