Best way to tank?

100 Blood Elf Paladin
I have dual talent and set my secondary as protection, but I still don't know the best way to set up my spells and talents to make a good tank. Anyone got any good tanking sets so I can get an idea of what I should set as?
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Paladin
Your primary spells are gonna be Hammer of the Righteous (for pulls of more than one mob) or Crusader's strike for single mobs/boss, these two spells is how you primarily make holy charges they also run on the same cooldown, so u wont be able to spam them together its one or the other.

Spam these spells as much as possible they're your bread and butter for threat.

#1 Threat spell is Righteous fury, remember to turn it on before a pull :)

with the new Holy Wrath mechanics it is now your #2 priority spell cause it does a set amount of damage/threat to one target and for each additional target it hits it splits the damage it does between them. So for single targets it does a good deal of damage/threat.

Exorcism, i forget if its a glyph or a talent that makes it put a DOT on mobs but always open with it, it hits hard and is good opening threat, you wont ever use it during a fight tho, the cast time will be a loss of threat.

Seal of Truth is still the best Seal for a tank, Righteousness is only useful in pulls that die really fast, the burst threat is greater than truth.

I myself have yet to find exactly in my rotation Avenger's shield should be due to the proc basically i just make sure this spell is always on Cooldown, it procs, use it but know that your CS/HOR is a higher priority and does more threat (HOR and Avenger's shield both hit Up to 3 targets HOR does more threat/Damage)
Example: If your shield procs but you where just about to hit Hammer, use hammer instead then try to hit your shield before the proc goes away.

Sooo basically, HOR/CS > Holy Wrath >Avenger's shield

As for the two Holy power spells, Word of Glory, and Shield of the righteousness, use Shield on single targets, WOG is a healing spell and is best used on AOE pulls due to Healing threat hitting all the mobs attacking you (Say WOG does 10k healing, and you have 10 mobs on you, that is 1000 threat on each mob 10,000 divided by 10)

I hope this helps if you want more info go visit Elitistjerks.com, they have several page forums dedicated to being a prot pally, same with Ret and holy specs too.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I myself have yet to find exactly in my rotation Avenger's shield should be due to the proc basically i just make sure this spell is always on Cooldown, it procs, use it but know that your CS/HOR is a higher priority and does more threat (HOR and Avenger's shield both hit Up to 3 targets HOR does more threat/Damage)
Example: If your shield procs but you where just about to hit Hammer, use hammer instead then try to hit your shield before the proc goes away.

Just so you know, there seems to be inconsistencies in this paragraph. First off, the Avenger's Shield proc is nothing more than refreshing of your CD, so there is no danger of the proc "going away" as you say. Also, HOR hits your target for 30% Weapon Damage and ALL targets within 8 yards for a fixed amount.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
WOG is a healing spell and is best used on AOE pulls due to Healing threat hitting all the mobs attacking you (Say WOG does 10k healing, and you have 10 mobs on you, that is 1000 threat on each mob 10,000 divided by 10)

I'm not exactly a well seasoned paladin, but I have done a lot of healing. This makes sense if and only if you do no overhealing as overhealing does not generate threat.

In no way do I mean to discredit what you said, it makes sense. I'm just clarifying that you will only generate the threat you are describing above if you don't overheal. WoG is still a very effective use of HP for a prot pally IMO, even without considering it as a threat tool.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
From the testing I've done the difference in damage on Crusader Strike and Hammer of the Righteous is negligible. For simplicities sake, the only reason you should really be using Crusader Strike is when you NEED to avoid AoE damage on mobs. I think this is the reason Blizz added CS as an alternative to HotR.

Other than that WG is there as an added "cooldown" if you need a little hp boost, Avengers Shield is doing huge damage along side Shield of Righteousness and should be used on CD for threat generation; and judgement should definitely be in there for the crit proc and mana regen.

So hammer every 3 seconds, and fill the gaps with SoR (at 3 HP) > AS > Judge > Holy Wrath > WG (if needed).

EDIT: Grammar.
Edited by Clique on 11/23/2010 6:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Your primary spells are gonna be Hammer of the Righteous (for pulls of more than one mob) or Crusader's strike for single mobs/boss, these two spells is how you primarily make holy charges they also run on the same cooldown, so u wont be able to spam them together its one or the other.

Spam these spells as much as possible they're your bread and butter for threat.

This is bad advice. Do not spam these abilities. There is a very clear and concise rotation you should be using, not just whatever is off cool down. And they are the ONLY way to generate holy power. Ideally, you will use one every other cool down. I have found that by opening with CS/HotR, the judging, then CS/HotR, then AS, then CS/HotR, then SotR gives me the best threat / clash prevention on my rotation. Alternately, the second time you would replace AS with HW if you have not gotten a proc. In an multi target situation, toss in a consecration instead of the first judgement.

#1 Threat spell is Righteous fury, remember to turn it on before a pull :)

with the new Holy Wrath mechanics it is now your #2 priority spell cause it does a set amount of damage/threat to one target and for each additional target it hits it splits the damage it does between them. So for single targets it does a good deal of damage/threat.

I have to disagree with this. It is a good ability, and I use it, but only as a replacement to AV. I think judgement has a higher priority because of the chance to proc SotR crits. Also, in any situation where CC is required (and there will be many) this will blow it.

Exorcism, i forget if its a glyph or a talent that makes it put a DOT on mobs but always open with it, it hits hard and is good opening threat, you wont ever use it during a fight tho, the cast time will be a loss of threat.

I have never used this to tank. Even to pull. But I know using it during a fight is a bad idea most of the time. Casting anything that is not instant will reduce your chance to dodge, parry and block to 0. That's not a good thing for a tank to do.

Seal of Truth is still the best Seal for a tank, Righteousness is only useful in pulls that die really fast, the burst threat is greater than truth.

Yes.

Sooo basically, HOR/CS > Holy Wrath >Avenger's shield

Avengers shield should be the fourth spell in your threat rotation. This is to avoid clipping cool downs. Holy Wrath and Avengers shield can replace each other if one is still on coold own. By skipping judgement in this, you are doing yourself a great disservice. It's vital in my opinion to get the most out of your three holy power SotR.

As for the two Holy power spells, Word of Glory, and Shield of the righteousness, use Shield on single targets, WOG is a healing spell and is best used on AOE pulls due to Healing threat hitting all the mobs attacking you (Say WOG does 10k healing, and you have 10 mobs on you, that is 1000 threat on each mob 10,000 divided by 10)

Maybe before this patch, but I am pretty sure WoG is getting hit with nerfs because of this. I don't think multi target threat is that vital anymore. Trash is trash. I genuinely don't worry about threat on multi pulls, because the dps I play with know how to control themselves. This may change, but currently my objective is to make sure the dps don't pull the only mob in any encounter that can one shot them off me.

I hope this helps if you want more info go visit Elitistjerks.com, they have several page forums dedicated to being a prot pally, same with Ret and holy specs too.

EJ can help, but is not generally user friendly, or friendly in general. Don't expect to go there and ask a question and not get banned.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Q: Best way to tank?

A: Very carefully.

lol true

Basically for seals, use Seal of Truth (almost said corruption lol) and if there's a druid in your group use might, otherwise kings.

Anyways on to spec: there are various specs you can use, some prioritize greater threat while others may focus more on raid utility and other benefits (choose one that looks good to you, if you need specific help there are sites that post some options).

For rotation I tend to use:
*disclaimer: this may not be the exact way to maximize threat as I haven't tanked much serious progression since killing the LK on 10man, I've shifted to being ret since then and only tanked some 25man bosses since the patch.

Single target- SotR (at three stacks of HoPo) > CS > Avenger's Shield > Judgment > Holy Wrath (assuming it won't break a CC) > Consecration (not entirely necessary but can add some threat and if everything else is on CD it may be useful) OR a cleanse/HoSalv, etc (utility spells)

AoE tanking- Inquisition refresh (when it becomes available at 81), SotR (can be used on a target that is lowest on threat at that time with three stacks of HoPo), or WoG (when healers seem to be having issues with healing, which with the new healing model might be a good idea) > HotR > Avenger's Shield > Holy Wrath or Consecration (depending on how long the mobs are going to last (non-elite trash mobs can allow for HW, while having to hold boss adds away from the main raid might better suit Consecration).

As always I'd recommend some nice keybinds to make things easier on you, I personally have my separate singletarget/aoe spells set to my mousewheel. On ret TV is foward and DS is backwards, for prot CS is foward and HotR is backwards.

As always practice makes perfect, it took a LOT of trial and error when I first started tanking on my original tank (a druid) just go for it and see what happens
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
edit: sorry double post
Edited by Tantrikx on 11/23/2010 1:08 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]