I am not sure as to whether to call this sound problem static noise or crackling as I have viewed a couple of posts related to sound issues in the old technical support forums. So I have captured the sound problem and uploaded it.
Computer - Dell Studio XPS 8100
Processor: Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz
RAM: 6 GB
Sound: High Definition Audio Device / Realtek High Definition Audio
The sound problem occurs along with an FPS drop which makes it unplayable and the only thing I can do to solve the sound problem temporarily is either restart my computer or sit and wait till it's gone, if it wants to or not depending on it's mood on the day.
I have spoken to Dell Technical Support about it and its just getting so frustrating because the solutions they have given me have not fixed this problem.
Because it happens occasionally, it is hard to say when it is going to happen, I had to call Dell numerous times after it happens to try different solutions.
1. I was asked to try different software. Most of the time, I run iTunes in the background. So, I tried using Windows Media Player and the problem still persisted. I eventually stopped running any music players in the background and it will happen when WoW is being played.
It won't happen if I am on YouTube or running a music player by itself.
2. I was asked to update driver files. Direct X SDK 2010, Audio Driver Update and A BIOS Update. Sound problem still persists.
3. I was told to restore factory settings due to a possibility of corrupt files or changed settings. Sound problem still persists.
4. I have tried reinstalling the game.
5. Using a different set of speakers.
6. Using a set of headphones.
7. During the sound static/crackle, I was told to swap the speakers and headphones around from the front jack and rear jack to see if the static/crackle was still there and yes it was.
8. Asked to try a different game, so I played Counter-Strike Source for a week. First 2 days no sound problem at all thinking it is just World of Warcraft, then suddenly the sound problem reappeared in CS too. It does not happen very often while playing CS, but in WoW it is almost a once a day problem.
I've noticed alot of people with sound problems from the old technical support forums but none of the solutions there have solved my problem.
This has been happening since day one I got my computer which was 5 months ago. I am not sure as to whether this is a software related issue or is it a defect within my computer.
I am still trying to fix this problem with Dell as I am leaning more towards this problem being related to a defect within the computer itself.
But if anyone could advise me as to what this problem is being caused by, and whether it is my computer or the game itself, it would be greatly appreciated.
This is getting really frustrating! -_-